Luggage at time of embarkation

DrPepper41

This might be a dumb question...but I've been reading that your luggage takes a while to show up to your stateroom on the 1st day. I've also read that people carry their luggage around with them until their stateroom opens the 1st day.

So...is it optional to have your luggage kept with you the whole time? I also hear about them looking thru your luggage & confiscating items like irons, or extension cords....so do they look through ALL luggage, regardless if you keep it with you?

If someone could explain the luggage process to me, I'd appreciate it. There are 6 of us (2 adults, 4 kids) and we will have 6 carry-on size suitcases (1 for each of us), and 1 larger suitcase (for a 7 day cruise). Then, of course, I'll have my purse, and each of the kids will have a small backpack, and my husband will have his C-pap.

Thanks!

All luggage is inspected. The larger bags you give to the porter go through a scan before it is delivered, carry-on bags go through an X-Ray when you go through the security check. This is similar to going through airport security. If the bag can't fit through the scanner, it must go with a porter.

Depending on the cruise line, your cabin might not be ready when you board, so you do need to lug your carry-ons with you. An announcement will be made when cabins are ready and you can then drop your luggage off.

All luggage is inspected. The larger bags you give to the porter go through a scan before it is delivered, carry-on bags go through an X-Ray when you go through the security check. This is similar to going through airport security. If the bag can't fit through the scanner, it must go with a porter.

Ahh, I didn't realize that. Thank you.

Only keep your medications, valuables and medical appliances....give the rest to the porters! Cabins aren't always ready and you do NOT want to lug it thru the ship....too much trouble.

Lock your bags....they will xray the bags, but they have no right to paw thru your things. If they think they see something that you shouldn't have, they will call you to open your bag.

The xray machines when you check in are the same size as those in the airport. So your carry-ons need to fit through them.

If I were you -- I would cut back on the carry-ons and take 2 suitcases that you can check at the pier. Since you have to lug all that stuff around the ship until the cabins are ready -- chances of losing something is great.

What everyone else has said - and, it normally doesn't take too long for your luggage to show up. The crew is very efficient at this. So check as much as you can, just keep your valuables and you will 'see' it all soon:D

I think you guys are on the wrong cruiseline. We switched to Princess years ago and our cabins are ALWAYS ready. I like to take as much as possible with me. A few times our luggage did not arrive until almost dinner time. I always take a swimsuit and whatever I plan to wear to dinner, at least one bottle of wine to drink on the balcony as we are sailing away. I also try to get as much unpacked as possible asap so I can get that over and start relaxing.

The cabins are ready around 1:00 so if you are boarding after lunch, then you can often go straight to your cabin. We often explore the embarkation port a bit before boarding and we try to only take carry ons so waiting for our luggage isn't an issue. Some people like to board early to get a head start on their vacation, but I find that the terminal is often crowded with long lines. I would rather go a bit later when it is quieter and quicker and I can go straight to my cabin. To each their own...

I planned on keeping all my luggage with me and carrying it on and off myself....as does the rest of my family so no portering. Even our larger luggage bags.

Has anyone seen anyone else on ships do this or will we be the only ones????

It depends on the port, but most places you can do self disembarkation where you carry your own luggage out with NO assistance. You will be one of the first off the ship.

Question: If I were to use a medium-sized rolling luggage, would I have difficulties rolling it on and off the ship or would I have to lift it up steps, etc?

Question: If I were to use a medium-sized rolling luggage, would I have difficulties rolling it on and off the ship or would I have to lift it up steps, etc?

That will depend on the terminal facility that you cruise from. Some have stairs, some have escalators, some use ramps, and sometimes you may find a combination of all of these. Of course there are elevators too but you may have a long wait to use the elevators. Many of the cruiselines also require that if you do self disembarkation that you must be able to handle all bags without assistance and have at least one free hand to be able to use any handrails on ramps and stairs.

That will depend on the terminal facility that you cruise from. Some have stairs, some have escalators, some use ramps, and sometimes you may find a combination of all of these. Of course there are elevators too but you may have a long wait to use the elevators. Many of the cruiselines also require that if you do self disembarkation that you must be able to handle all bags without assistance and have at least one free hand to be able to use any handrails on ramps and stairs.

Thanks for the response ... I wonder what the terminal is like in Baltimore ...

Archived