Beware the 90 day rule

9CE

Before making the final payment for our October trip I checked the current price and noted a 20% drop. A call to the TA, and by them to Seabourn, resulted in an onboard credit but with the advice that as we were within 90 days nothing could be done in cash terms. Timing is everything. Beware!

We are well within the 90 days and Seabourn have apparently offered, via our TA, reduction on the next cruise we book. We are awaiting a confirmation of this from Seabourn. No cash as you rightly say.

Edited by Jay23

Before making the final payment for our October trip I checked the current price and noted a 20% drop. A call to the TA, and by them to Seabourn, resulted in an onboard credit but with the advice that as we were within 90 days nothing could be done in cash terms. Timing is everything. Beware!

I had this a few years ago, spotted it outside the 90 days, asked for a rebate and accepted a nice bump in cabin, v2 to v7 if I remember. Very happy. Ta thought I had no chance. You only have no chance if you don't ask!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I have spoken again to TA and have been told that OBC is all that Seabourn is offering but that we will be considered for an upgrade. The lesson remains to watch you timing.

It won't detract from our cruise whatever happens.

The cost of the cruise is what it is. When I book, I look at the prices and, if they look okay, then I book. Just like prices for flights, I am aware that they can and probably will change.

That Seabourn is offering OBC and upgrades is very generous of them especially as they never ask guests to pay more if prices happen to increase rather than decrease.

• 3 weeks later...

We got OBC in the amount of half the price differential and went from VGTY to a V5 or 6 - can't remember which. We were ok with it and loved the cruise, which was very well-priced when we booked 5 months out. The moral of the story: keep an open mind and wait until the 120- or 90-day mark to book!

Linda