Mexican Vanilla in PV

travellingnana

Does anyone know if I can get Mexican vanilla at the Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta? Thanks!

Yes they still have it in stock.

We were there a couple of weeks ago -- they only had very small bottles in the baking section and in the spice section -- the bright side is the were 6.95 Pesos (41 cents)

Though we asked a clerk, and were told they did not carry large bottles, they do have them in the "tourist" section of the store. (our table-mates told us - they bought a large bottle on the same day)

Edited by CRUZBUDS

We were there a couple of weeks ago -- they only had very small bottles in the baking section and in the spice section -- the bright side is the were 6.95 Pesos (41 cents)

Though we asked a clerk, and were told they did not carry large bottles, they do have them in the "tourist" section of the store. (our table-mates told us - they bought a large bottle on the same day)

The souvenir section is in front of the check out area. They carry large bottles of vanilla (16 oz. and larger), but there are also smaller bottles.

Thank you all so much! I knew I could count on fellow Cruise Critic members for the answer! :)

it is quite amazing .... isn't it :)

DW laughed when I told her someone had asked about vanilla at Wal-mart in PV. It was amazing that we had such recent experience.

We still wonder how we missed the tourist area -- we were looking for it. My friend was happy the the large bag of little bottles we got for her - there should be some cookies coming soon :D

• 3 months later...

I've seen the same vanilla at the Mexican markets in my area, at a good price, so I don't worry about bringing it back from Mexico anymore. When I was still working, there was a small market not too far with really good tamales. Always reminded me of the little markets in Baja. (Our church goes often for missions trips.)

Just a friendly warning that not all "Mexican Vanilla" is real vanilla. The good stuff is very good.....but the lack of good labeling laws and/or enforcement means that a bottle might contain more Coumarin (not legal in the USA) then real vanilla extract. So how can you tell if you are getting the real thing? Even after spending the past 10 winters living in Mexico we are still not sure :(. But you can be pretty sure that if you buy a half liter bottle for a couple of dollars.....it is not real vanilla extract.

Hank

P.S. For the doubters (about my post) we can offer an FDA article that touches on the subject

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm048613.htm

Edited by Hlitner

Much of the Vanilla extract - especially the cheaper brands - sold in Mexico are made not from Vanilla Beans, but from Castor Beans.

It may taste like vanilla, but the active ingredient, Coumarin, has two very popular uses in America.

1. It is the active ingredient in many rat poisons. Ingesting Coumarin causes internal bleeding, which kills the rats.

2. It is a very effective blood thinner for humans, prescribed under the name "Coumadin".

Is it really worth it to risk your health to save a few dollars on Mexican vanilla extract?

How much vanilla extract can you really use in a year?

If you are really enthralled with premium vanilla extract, you should google recipes on the internet. Homemade is better, and not expensive.

Note: If the Mexican vanilla label states that it does not contain Coumarin, you should be especially suspicious.

Homemade Vanilla recipe--

Vanilla beans

Vodka

Store in a dark place. Sit for a bit. Longer it sits, stronger it becomes. Strain before use.

DD used 3 beans in a 750 bottle of vodka. Uses it for baking and drinking ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Homemade Vanilla recipe--

Vanilla beans

Vodka

Store in a dark place. Sit for a bit. Longer it sits, stronger it becomes. Strain before use.

DD used 3 beans in a 750 bottle of vodka. Uses it for baking and drinking ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When you are finished making your vanilla, let the beans dry out for a few days. Then add them to a small container of suger to make a wonderful vanilla sugar....which is great on french toast or just about anything where you use sugar,

Hank

I like the idea of making one's own vanilla and it's such an easy recipe! Thanks, Sadie!

A question I have though is can one purchase vanilla beans in Mexico? Is it advisable? Although, I would have to check to see if I can bring it back to the US and then to Canada. More homework to do! But I'll wait for answers to the above questions before spending time doing the homework. If it's not advisable or available, there's no point in checking to see if I can bring it back.

I like the idea of making one's own vanilla and it's such an easy recipe! Thanks, Sadie!

A question I have though is can one purchase vanilla beans in Mexico? Is it advisable? Although, I would have to check to see if I can bring it back to the US and then to Canada. More homework to do! But I'll wait for answers to the above questions before spending time doing the homework. If it's not advisable or available, there's no point in checking to see if I can bring it back.

Ok, so we are always posting warnings about buying vanilla in Mexico...since a lot of the stuff sold is not even real. But if you truly want to explore the real vanilla options (or buy real beans) we can recommend a small shop in Puerto Vallarta called La Casa de La Vainilla. Here is a link that will show you location, which is in Centro.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La+Casa+de+la+Vainilla/@20.6069417,-105.2370296,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x58e9934c697e734e!8m2!3d20.6069417!4d-105.2370296

If you ask the owner about fake vanilla in Mexico....you may get a real ear full (and not of vanilla).

Hank

Ok, so we are always posting warnings about buying vanilla in Mexico...since a lot of the stuff sold is not even real. But if you truly want to explore the real vanilla options (or buy real beans) we can recommend a small shop in Puerto Vallarta called La Casa de La Vainilla.

If you ask the owner about fake vanilla in Mexico....you may get a real ear full (and not of vanilla).

Hank

Yep, this is the place. We stop here every time we're in town. Easy to get to, very near the flea market. It's a vanilla shop, not a trinket shop that happens to sell something called "vanilla". As mentioned, vanilla beans are readily available also.

There's a neat old leather shop right around the corner also.

Ok, so we are always posting warnings about buying vanilla in Mexico...since a lot of the stuff sold is not even real. But if you truly want to explore the real vanilla options (or buy real beans) we can recommend a small shop in Puerto Vallarta called La Casa de La Vainilla. Here is a link that will show you location, which is in Centro.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La+Casa+de+la+Vainilla/@20.6069417,-105.2370296,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x58e9934c697e734e!8m2!3d20.6069417!4d-105.2370296

Thank you so much. I had no idea about the warnings about buying vanilla in Mexcio, I've only been once and have two future trips booked, so I will be checking out this shop for all our friends that have asked us to bring back vanilla on our trip next month.

Edited by bc_redhead

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if I can get Mexican vanilla at the Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta? Thanks!

I have spent a lot of time in PV on extended vacations and the only vanilla I purchase is Orlando, you will find it at the pharmacies, Walmart does not carry it. Don't get the clear, you really need to make sure you get the regular dark Orlando Vanilla.

I have spent a lot of time in PV on extended vacations and the only vanilla I purchase is Orlando, you will find it at the pharmacies, Walmart does not carry it. Don't get the clear, you really need to make sure you get the regular dark Orlando Vanilla.

Orlando is a popular brand name (for those that like brand names) and is easy to buy in the USA. For example, Amazon sells 6 ounces for only $6.99. No need to run around Mexico looking for that brand.

Hank

Funny but no surprise that you can get Orlando from Amazon! Still much less expensive when purchased in PV, we pay a bit less than 6.99 US dollars for the large 16 ounce bottle! We always bring back many of the small 125 ml (4 plus ounce) bottles for friends and coworkers so it saves us $ for sure and they eagerly await their yearly bottle :) The shop mentioned above does sell Orlando and is a great place to purchase whole beans, but as I said it is less expensive at the pharmacies.

Funny but no surprise that you can get Orlando from Amazon! Still much less expensive when purchased in PV, we pay a bit less than 6.99 US dollars for the large 16 ounce bottle! We always bring back many of the small 125 ml (4 plus ounce) bottles for friends and coworkers so it saves us $ for sure and they eagerly await their yearly bottle :) The shop mentioned above does sell Orlando and is a great place to purchase whole beans, but as I said it is less expensive at the pharmacies.

LOL, you made your point. So we will spend thousands of dollars on a cruise to save less then $20 on vanilla? Each to their own.

Hank