Do you wish there were different itineraries

I think the problem is one of the rivers being navigable. There are already cruises on the Rhine, Danube, Douro, Volga, Elbe, Rhone, and Dneiper.

For the smaller rivers and canals in Europe, there is always barge cruising. The problem is that they only hold between 4 and 20 passengers, so are much more expensive.

We have done the Seine and there is now the Po in Italy. We are doing the Main in Germany this Christmas. That will be our 4th cruise and there is still lots to see. If you are interested there is China, the Mekong, the Nile and I thing Uniworld now has a river cruise in Africa.

The trip on the Po is mainly on buses. The river is unnavigable for most of its length. It is a lovely way to see Venice and the closer cities on the Po.

There are only so many rivers and right now they have cruises on rivers that can accomodate the river boats. There is a very interesting one with Road Scholar on the Girone in Francein the Bordeaux area. Don't forget the Irriwaddy in Myanmar. Pat

I was told by a river ship captain that the Po, Douro, and Elbe tend to be very tricky rivers to navigate and are subject to water issues (low or high), which could be why not all the cruise companies sail them. I'd hate to book a river cruise and have it turn into a bus trip due to water issues. I know that the river companies have no control over the weather and water levels, but if a river has a history of having frequent water issues, I'll avoid those and explore the cities on them via a land tour.

The Duoro is completely navigable thru Portigal--nothing river cruise size can get thru the Spanish part. All the major lines are now sailing the Duoro. The Elbe is a wonderful river to cruise. If you go , go with Viking on the Schumann--very low draft boat. When we went Deilmann was still operating, but its boats were docked. We just sailed on. The Guadiliver in Spain is another river to cruise. Croisie Europe is about the only company sailing on it and has itineraries for English speaking guests. Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Archived