Tv on cruise

HellLawyer

We will be traveling on ncl during all the college bowl games....will we be able to watch the games while on the cruise? What is the tv/cable situation?

Hi there HellLawyer!

You know after looking at your posts and concerns it seems to me that you might be happier on Carnival. Carnival cruisers are huge sports enthusiasts and if you really want to learn how to smuggle like a pro then Carnival is the place to go. Here's the URL for the Carnival board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

:D

The real answer to your question is probably not. NCL often will broadcast some big games, college, NFL, baseball etc, but with so many bowl games coming in the next few weeks I doubt many will be broadcast.

NCL has a terrible selection of channels nowadays. Several years ago they had many more, but the bean counters figured out they could same a nickel and a dime by reducing the channels.

Most of us are used to US TV. Remember that the Sat TV that cruise ships use is international, and many US events just won't be carried. Can you imagine a soccer fan caring about US college football??

It is way more than nickels and dimes to get a broad spectrum of international sat TV on a ship.

NCL does not have the best selection for TV. They don't even have Fox News.

We have done all our NCL cruises out of Europe, so I don't know if they would be able to broadcast a college football game on a Caribbean cruise or not?

I used to work for NCL, and they used to cater the main channels to the region where the ship was sailing.

On a cruise out of the US, you would have American news channels, as well as ESPN. From Europe on the other hand, you'd have BBC.

They also have the option to buy special events to be broadcast on the tvs. In 2010, the showed all of the Soccer world cup games, but they didn't show Olympics. It depends what they can get the rights for.

I love NCL, however, Freestyle Cruising isn't about doing what you want - such as relaxing for a half hour in your room and watching TV - it's about getting out of your room and freely spending your money on all of the things they have made available to you.

We will be traveling on ncl during all the college bowl games....will we be able to watch the games while on the cruise? What is the tv/cable situation?

A major Bowl Game will possibly be available in O'Sheehan's or another venue on your ship.

Check with the bartenders in O'Sheehan's when you board - they might just plan a party around some of the Collegiate Games

A bit harsh on NCL really, in Europe for us Brits it's brilliant: we get proper news (you can't get much more proper than the BBC) and proper football (English Premiership, shame they haven't got Championship though too) :D :D :D

In all seriousness I think the Sport 24 channel was really good, all the main premiership matches (and Bundesliga etc), BBC world news, and recent films. In the summer they had another channel with random family programmes on, but this seems to have disappeared, it was all just star stories type stuff.

To OP - you can go to Sport 24 tv website and see what's on over the next few weeks and the type of sport they tend to show.

We were on the Epic Thanksgiving week and there was not one college football game. We put hotspot on my husbands phone so that we could watch the noon game on my ipad while sitting in the port of Miami before we sailed. As soon as you get on the ship you must use their Wifi, even on boarding day. We were very disappointed. We made a decision not to sail during football season again. I know it seems extreme but it made for a very unhappy start to the cruise.

We finally got the college scores at the first port of call when we went to the Hard Rock in St Martin with iPad in toll. Free internet with purchase.