debating tours stingray city...

TnTWalter

It is a tender port. Early April. We arrive accd to RCCL at 7am. No idea if it's the same time. How do you determine? Also some of the tours we are considering meet at 8:30 in port. Would we make it especially if not through RCCL so don't get first priority.

Has anyone done a tour and had time to hit the beach afterwards before getting back to the port??

There are 2 that end at 11 or noon and thought we could hit the beach until 2 and grab the bus back to port...I think last tender is 3:30. Is that cutting it too close if we grab bus at 2?

Otherwise there's a trip that starts at 9:30. It ends at Rum Point beach and we get back to port at 2:30.

Thanks for thoughts.

Edited by TnTWalter

I've been to GC twice with hubby for vacation [love GC] but we are taking a cruise with our teens and will be in port 7am to 4pm. There will be 2 other ships in port that day. Our ship is first to arrive [supposedly].

I've done too much research and narrowed it down to the following:

Captain Marvin

...they have a 9:30-2:30 snorkel, stingray, starfish, lunch

Cayman Eco Adventure

... have to meet at 8:15...would we make it?

they do stingray city, reef, starfish, 3.5 hours

Dexter's Fantasea

... 8:30-noon; stingrays, reef, sail back; they said i would make it but not sure when we meet.

i like the 2nd two because we'd have time to be dropped off at 7 mile beach for a bit I think.

Thanks for any help.

Trish

Just a heads up.

We booked thru the ship RCI

Met at port location.

Shuttled to boats in two mini vans and one large bus.

Great tour.

Upon return had to wait over 45 min to one hour for buses and vans to return and then only two showed.

Many scurrying not so friendly customers struggling to get on available seats, it was not pretty and I too was not nice.

Never ever again will I book thru RCI for this.

I will inquire further.

I hate traveling with my witches broom, and I am sure others on this excursion were not happy either.......

Just saying

IF you go to the beach after your tour, you can easily see the road back to the ship from the beach...if you see traffic moving slowly, you might want to give yourself extra time. The bus will stop for you...so you don't need a cab.

As far as your docking time...you must ALWAYS go by ship's time...a tour guide knows how this stuff works....sometimes you are on local time...sometimes you stay on ship's time. No matter which, SHIP'S TIME is YOUR time!!! So, if they say the ship gets in at 7am, that's ship's time....

Edited by cb at sea

We had a great Royal Caribbean stingray tour last week. It was run by MarineLand Tours. The captain of the boat and the crew actually drove the trolleys that they picked us up on at the port so we didn't have to wait for transportation on the way back. The crew could not have been nicer.

Your teens will love this.

Read lots of reviews and choose a tour operator that strictly limits the number of passengers on their boat. Less is best!

This is the factor that will make or break your trip. We were less than 20 (can't remember which tour company, but it was a sail boat) and we couldn't believe the boats we saw out there, some with 75 + people all huddled in.

we chose dexter's although we are expected to meet at 745am...that will be the stressful part. They take 18-20 people which we also like.

We ruled out stingray sailing early on because because of cost. it was $25 more per person than Dexter's for less included.

thanks.

Trish

• 2 weeks later...

I just chose Acquarius Sea Tours for my February stop. I'll let you know how it goes!

Also, I want to know if I will have any time to hang out at the beach after my excursion?

Freedom of the Seas arrival is 8am, departure is 4pm.

regarding Acquarius and hitting 7 mile beach...

I had asked when I inquired and this was their reply:

The tour would be finished by approximately 1:00pm - we can drop you off along Seven Mile Beach thereafter but would advise that you speak to Captain Mario on the day as to how long you might have to be on the beach. Getting back to the cruise terminal would then be for your expense and responsibility - buses do run along the route regularly and cost US$2.50 per pers.

regarding Captain Marvin's beach stop: I know they serve a buffet at Rum Point Beach but I would prefer to visit 7MB with the kids. [i've been to GC twice for non-cruise visit, they have not]. I was still tempted to do that one because it sounds fun. Especially the conch diving part. Loved doing that.

• 5 weeks later...
I just chose Acquarius Sea Tours for my February stop. I'll let you know how it goes!

Also, I want to know if I will have any time to hang out at the beach after my excursion?

Freedom of the Seas arrival is 8am, departure is 4pm.

We are looking at booking Acquarius in March. Please let me know how your experience was on this excursion

We have done western itinerary 4 times and 4 times we went with Captain Marvins we will be going with them a 5th time in November. Very easy to find their shop, personalized service even beginner snorkeler. They will drop you off at 7 mile beach after. We are there 7am to 4 and take the 10:00 snorkel sting ray and go back to ship, usually enough sun for us. The early tours are hard to judge the tender situation. The ship tours get the first tenders then they did vouchers for tenders very early, someone had to get up early and get them or take your chance getting off.

Acquarias ended up being totally full the day I wanted to go. Ended up on another highly rated, TripAdvisor approved company. I don't want to name their name but I was disappointed as a fellow passenger was sea sick and we did not get to snorkel after stingray city due to wanting to get them back to shore.

Acquarias ended up being totally full the day I wanted to go. Ended up on another highly rated, TripAdvisor approved company. I don't want to name their name but I was disappointed as a fellow passenger was sea sick and we did not get to snorkel after stingray city due to wanting to get them back to shore.

Aquarius is booked the day we are in port too. Looking at Cayman Eco adventures. We want to do stingray, snorkel and starfish point

We have done Capt Marvin twice, loved them. The last time we choose Nativeway for the Rays Reef and Rum point. My favorite because of rum point. Nice quiet beach with food and lots of hammocks and chairs. Very affordable and and all in one tour. I would love to just go to rum point some day and spend the week there.

The sting rays never get old could do that every day also.

We have done Capt Marvin twice, loved them. The last time we choose Nativeway for the Rays Reef and Rum point. My favorite because of rum point. Nice quiet beach with food and lots of hammocks and chairs. Very affordable and and all in one tour. I would love to just go to rum point some day and spend the week there.

The sting rays never get old could do that every day also.

Glad to hear you liked Native Way and the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour. I was debating if the stop at Rum Point was worth it or not, sounds like it is!

• 1 month later...