Tell Me Pros/Cons of Scooter vs 'Chair'

LocoLoco1

Hi everyone. We are taking another couple on their first cruise. Husband's back injuries from bad car wreck means 'Sometimes' he likes a scooter, Otherwise, walking stick or Wheel-chair and pain-killers. QUESTION: Unless absolutely needed..is 'Scooter' $cost$ and hassle worth it?? He's younger, but w/back pain issues. I dunno what to tell him. Anybody?? Locomotiveman

Hi everyone. We are taking another couple on their first cruise. Husband's back injuries from bad car wreck means 'Sometimes' he likes a scooter, Otherwise, walking stick or Wheel-chair and pain-killers. QUESTION: Unless absolutely needed..is 'Scooter' $cost$ and hassle worth it?? He's younger, but w/back pain issues. I dunno what to tell him. Anybody?? Locomotiveman

There are 4 choices:

Scooter

Wheelchair

Power Chair

Transport chair

The transport chair is a big no no.

Scooter & Power Chair can be done alone. Wheelchair may need someone to push it.

Power chair & wheelchair can turn on a dime (may take a little practice).

Scooter takes lots of room to turn around.

Scooter & power chair need to be charged. Wheelchair does not.

Most scooters will fit through cabin door.

Most power chairs will not, require accessible cabin.

Folding wheelchairs will fit, but you must get up and walk into the cabin.

Most non-folding wheelchairs will not fit.

The next thing to consider is storage room in cabin. Folding wheelchair wins.

Have the cabin attendant remove the desk chair to give you more room.

I suggest bringing your scooter/chair with you. See other threads.

One thing I have learned in my journey into disability is that a physical therapist can be your best friend. Choosing a particular mobility device is difficult. I currently use a scooter but would have purchased a motorized chair if I had not been evaluated before purchase. For my particular problem a scooter is better. For others it will be a chair. I found it well worth the cost of the consult.

Jackretired:

Talking it over...It looks like Folding Wheel Chair will be the better choice unless conditions change....all things considered. Thanks for the observations and Pros/cons. Locomotiveman

I must agree with your decision. Scooters are nice but they can be a pain to travel with. There are storage and accessibility issues. Wheelchair can fold up and pretty much go anywhere.

Umbarger, You lucky duck...20 cruises. A QUESTION for you. So, my in-law doesn't ALWAYS need his 'scooter' since the bad car wreck damaged his back. He goes the Painkiller route. He's NEVER been on a cruise, and flew Domestic 1 time since and flew 'Extra Legroom Fare'. I will be with him 24/7. So, we use HIS wheelchair from his house...onto the plane..off the plane and onto the Ship in Lauderdale?? Or must one "Check the collapsible wheelchair as Baggage' then use Airport Golfcart....THEN find his wheelchair in Lauderdale baggage claim?? I don't know the rules. Any help appreciated. Locomotiveman

Umbarger, You lucky duck...20 cruises. A QUESTION for you. So, my in-law doesn't ALWAYS need his 'scooter' since the bad car wreck damaged his back. He goes the Painkiller route. He's NEVER been on a cruise, and flew Domestic 1 time since and flew 'Extra Legroom Fare'. I will be with him 24/7. So, we use HIS wheelchair from his house...onto the plane..off the plane and onto the Ship in Lauderdale?? Or must one "Check the collapsible wheelchair as Baggage' then use Airport Golfcart....THEN find his wheelchair in Lauderdale baggage claim?? I don't know the rules. Any help appreciated. Locomotiveman

The airlines have different codes for different type of travel.

I can't remember the different codes. The one we use is own wheelchair, no assistance needed.

This means that we use our own wheelchair all the way to the plane. There they will take it and store it in the plane and give it back to you when you arrive (at least in teory)

Some airports will, no matter what you wish, assign assistance to you. Specially Spain.

Some airports will ask you if you can use their wheelchair. Don't. You will risk a transport chair at the other end. Or at a transfer hub. I don't particulary like to have my wife completely depending on me when she is in a transport chair.

Some security points will do a good manual check, some will ask if you can walk through the scanner.

One thing you should do, is to talk to the plane personell and say that you are very worried about your chair and ask them to make sure that it is carried down into the plane... and brought up back again (twice our chair has been left behind)

If you are going to or via an airport that you don't know, ask for assistance. Sometime you need to go via locked doors and/or elevators. And an assistanse with a keycard is gold.

Also ask for assistanse if you have a tight transfer. It is amasing how fast they can get you from one plane to another :)

Cheers, Atle

Gate check the wheelchair he'll use it to get to the gate and or bathrooms before getting on the plane they'll roll him down to the plane door and he'll only have to walk onto the plane and down the aisle to the seats or at check-in request an aisle chair to bring him to the seat(although best to request this at time of booking the flights) Then when the flight is over the chair will be waiting at the plane door.

But you will be one of the first on the plane and last off as it takes awhile to get the chair from the belly.

Gate check the wheelchair he'll use it to get to the gate and or bathrooms before getting on the plane they'll roll him down to the plane door and he'll only have to walk onto the plane and down the aisle to the seats or at check-in request an aisle chair to bring him to the seat(although best to request this at time of booking the flights) Then when the flight is over the chair will be waiting at the plane door.

But you will be one of the first on the plane and last off as it takes awhile to get the chair from the belly.

This is what we do!

Umbarger and PBC29

Thank you very much. You have ressured me. I like the idea of finding a 'Not too valuable' collapsible wheelchair..using it from his doorstep to Airport....and then hoping for the best. It's just that I did know how and where personal wheelchairs are allowed...and where one must use things owned by the Airline/Airport. Thanks again. Locomotiveman Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Archived