Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > 55+ Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

55+ Cruisers Cruise Critic's Senior Cruising Resources

Old July 20th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sitting on low beach chair = can't get back up

Hi. I will be taking my dad who is 81 on his first cruise next week. One of the stops will be at a private island, Great Stirrup Cay. My dad can not sit on a beach chair, because it is too low. It would be very very hard for him to get up. I'm also wondering about him sitting around the pool area. We have a few of those sports chairs that fold up and go in a little bag that you can carry across the shoulder. Would it be crazy to bring the chair for him? Would it even be allowed?

That's the only solution I can think of. Does anyone else have other ideas? Thanks so much in advance for any info or help with this matter.

Completed Cruises:

Norwegian Dreamward 8/1995
Carnival Triumph 8/2005
Norwegian Spirit 8/2006
Norwegian Dawn 8/18/2007
Carnival Miracle 7/20/2008
Norwegian Spirit 9/13/2008
Carnival Miracle 7/27/09
Norwegian Jewel 7/31/2010 Nickelodeon Cruise
Carnival Glory 7/30/2011
Carnival Miracle 8/2/2012
Carnival Splendor 7/2013

Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

That sounds like it would be a perfect idea.

Old July 23rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I did see a couple boarding one of our cruises with their beach chairs and beach umbrella. I thought it was a great idea especially if you are driving to your cruise port.

Old August 1st, 2010, 01:00 PM
50,000+ Club

Around the pool are real chairs, not only "lounge" chairs...so you won't need to bring a chair there. As far as the beach, you may want to bring something higher for him, or perhaps he'd be more comfortable not staying on the beach all day...the ship is open and available all day!

Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I would also check with your airline (if you plan to fly) to see what they would charge you. I know on Stirrup Cay there are picnic tables in the trees.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:05 AM
50,000+ Club

You may want to bring the chairs you mentioned to be sure your dad will be fine.

Enjoy the cruise.

Keith

Old August 5th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Also you may not have to bring from home. If you are arriving at port a day early just check out the local walmart/Target/KMart. We always do, I buy a pillow I like, a cheap toothbrush holder (okay, I like toothbrush holders! ), water or whatever we forgot. Then we just take with when we board. We have also kept car rental until after boarding. we then get off ship make our kmart run and then turn in car.

Have Fun! Enjoy your Dad. I got to take a cruise with my Dad at 84. We lost him the next year so those memories are extra special!

PS- Even weirder than toothbrush holder...a bathroom rug. Hate standing on a cold floor!

Old August 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think taking the chair is a great idea!

Old September 14th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default chairs

Thanks for posting this

Old November 8th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

We used to spend our summers on the Mississippi River boating and traveling on the river. We started out with the beach chairs where you basically sit with you "bottom" in the sand, then we switched to slightly higher ones about 15 yrs. ago. Now we like the ones where you don't need a crane to help you get out of them! I think taking a bag chair along is a great idea!

Old November 10th, 2010, 12:15 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia10010 View Post
Hi. I will be taking my dad who is 81 on his first cruise next week. One of the stops will be at a private island, Great Stirrup Cay. My dad can not sit on a beach chair, because it is too low. It would be very very hard for him to get up. I'm also wondering about him sitting around the pool area. We have a few of those sports chairs that fold up and go in a little bag that you can carry across the shoulder. Would it be crazy to bring the chair for him? Would it even be allowed?

That's the only solution I can think of. Does anyone else have other ideas? Thanks so much in advance for any info or help with this matter.
I know the portable sports chair you are talking about. I've seen several people on different cruises bring this type onboard with their carry-on. I say if you have used on sand before and knows it will work for your father, then by all means bring it with you. After all it is his cruise too and he should make the most of it.