Great Ship Workout Routine?

I'm always looking for something new when I travel to do in the gym. I usually just stick to the eliptical, maybe some weights; but if someone had something that they like and follow, I would totally be interested.

Leave the elliptical in the dust and try the "Arc"!! Just hit quick start and then increase the ramp to 5 or 6 - higher is ok if you are taller (it really increases your range of motion). I then play with the resistance according to my music...increase resistance for a slower song (keep the beat) decrease and go faster for a quick song. Trust me....you'll never look at the elliptical again!!

As for something different, when there isn't a class going on I'll grab a step and a few risers and set up a little circuit for myself. Set my watch for 20mins and do continuous push-ups, step-ups on the bench, crunches, mountain climbers, squats, lunges.....whatever you can dream up! Just keep the intensity high and the pace quick!:D

I workout on the elliptical each day of the cruise. My own view but I would stay with what you do well unless you practice at home.

Maybe try to take some of the classes that are offered.

Now at home I take Spin Classes which give me an outstanding workout. Our favorite cruise line has spin bikes. If yours does and they teach the class it provides an excellent workout.

Keith

• 1 month later...

The last two cruises I sailed on I signed up for the spinning class AND boot camp training class. Each class was held on four different days of seven night cruises. On two of the days the boot camp class was scheduled right after the spinning class....!!!whew!!!. Talk about a REAL workout, it was worth every penny....no more liesurely 'workouts' on machines for me!

The boot camp routine was run by professional trainers who worked you through increasingly tough exercises. Being a serious cyclist I was really liking the spinnning classes especially since they hook you up with a heart monitor which displays everyone's heart rate on the main screen on the wall in front of us. Talk about inspiration! Spinning to very upbeat rock music while the instructor paced us was a BLAST!

Save some of your excursion money, try something different and spend it on these extra cost workouts, you won't regret it! At least it's worth a try right?

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
The last two cruises I sailed on I signed up for the spinning class AND boot camp training class. Each class was held on four different days of seven night cruises. On two of the days the boot camp class was scheduled right after the spinning class....!!!whew!!!. Talk about a REAL workout, it was worth every penny....no more liesurely 'workouts' on machines for me!

The boot camp routine was run by professional trainers who worked you through increasingly tough exercises. Being a serious cyclist I was really liking the spinnning classes especially since they hook you up with a heart monitor which displays everyone's heart rate on the main screen on the wall in front of us. Talk about inspiration! Spinning to very upbeat rock music while the instructor paced us was a BLAST!

Save some of your excursion money, try something different and spend it on these extra cost workouts, you won't regret it! At least it's worth a try right?

Tom

Hi Tom

I am an avid "spinner" as well! Totally hooked! Quick question: do you recommend I take my spinning shoes on the cruise or just use my regular sneakers. Not sure if the bikes have clips?? Thank you in advance for your time.

Julie

Tom...thanks for the post! I was looking at a RCCL compass from April and I have all my workouts planned. They follow yours it sounds like since a couple of days I'll have a spin class followed by the boot camp class. I agree...well worth the $$ to have some great workouts on vacation. The one thing I couldn't find was how much each class cost. Did you take these classes on Royal or another cruise line? If it was Royal do you recall how much they were? I know they may have gone up in price, but a rough estimate would be nice to know. I'll be on Oasis in October...I hope that is one of the ships that they will hook you up to a monitor! I would also be interested in the cycling shoes question. Not sure I want to bring them with me, but since I'm looking at 3 or 4 days of cycling on the cruise it may be worth it.

All of the classes I have taken on Princess have been about $12; but they usually have a packaged deal that you could buy 10 for $100. I usually tip the instructor(s) that I did any of the classes with at the end of the cruise. I have had ones that haven't been very great so I don't tip them as well.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

On a serious note can anyone tell me if there is food on the ship that fits with those who are serious about working out?

Second- If anyone has been on the magic how large is the gym ad do they have several machines so there is no wait time?

Happy Cruising:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Number one tip for on ship fitness workout plan, eat in moderation.

I once read / heard this quote

Diet to look good in clothes

Exercise to look go without :D

Of course fitness can be something totally orthogonal :p

On a serious note can anyone tell me if there is food on the ship that fits with those who are serious about working out?

Second- If anyone has been on the magic how large is the gym ad do they have several machines so there is no wait time?

Based on my experience on Summit and Enchanment of the Seas, yes there is food that fits a fitness geared lifestyle. My diet is follows a 40/30/30 breakdown for carbs/protein/fat. I guesstimate this while cruising (Especially the fat portion) and while it is not perfect, I know I hit it pretty close with my selections. If you stick to grilled items, fish, greens and keep sweets and drinks to a minimum you should be able to find something that fits your routine.

Archived