Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old June 26th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post New Pregnancy Policies Could Moor Expectant Mothers

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

New Pregnancy Policies Could Moor Expectant Mothers

Read the entire news article...

Old July 1st, 2008, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

This is a warning that hopefully everyone adheres to --- two lives will be at stake.

Old July 5th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not making it easy....

I am an MD with experience in OB/GYN. People are far too nervous around pregnant women, including most doctors. These new rules make it impossible for women of child bearing age to plan ahead for a cruise. Most people plan their cruises at least 6 months in advance. With this new rule, there is no way to plan ahead. Most women do not even know they are pregnant until they are at least 8 weeks meaning you really can only plan 4 months ahead of time for a cruise. My girlfriend and I had a cruise planned for November and had to cancel in June because of an unexpected pregnancy. Neither of us is trying to get pregnant, but we all know things can happen. I think preganant women should be allowed to travel with MD consent and they should sign a waiver. There is nothing more dangerous at 28 weeks than at 24 weeks. Pregancy is a natural condition, not a disease. Cruise lines do not restrict people with true medical problems like heart disease, diabetes, or COPD. These conditions warrant the same if not more caution and risk of on board emergencies. I know I am in the minority here...as I said, people are nervous when it comes to pregnancies and no one wants to be responsible if there was a negative outcome.
Celebrity Infinity 5/25/12
Disney Wonder 1/23/11
Oosterdam 05/23/10
Independence of the Seas 11/19/08
Eurodam 11/1/08
Mariner of the Seas 09/2006
Golden Princess 12/2003
Carnival 11/1995

Old July 5th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Please don't take this as I'm attacking what you said (I don't like when that's been done to me), but I am a Labor & delivery nurse with 20 years experience. Your response surprises me. I agree alot of folks are nervous around pregnant women and many physicians/hospitals treat pregnant women like the plague. But as I'm sure you know, things can go very wrong very fast. I know we can get a baby out in less than 2 minutes if need be. Or the very early premie has a better chance with a full NICU team in attendance. But for the pregnancies that don't go ok, these women should not be at sea. The danger to the woman and her baby, the liability to the cruise line, the inconvenience to others should something go wrong and let alone trying to find decent medical care at the nearest port in a foreign country. I will never understand those thinking it's ok and those choosing to cruise after 20 weeks. It amazes me.

In Memory of September 11th
Always Remember, Never Forget.......

Carnival Sensation-Caribbean---March 2002
Caribbean Princess-Caribbean--January 2005
Pride of America-Hawaii------------October 2005
Carnival Paradise-Mexico Baja--March 2006
Carnival Valor--Caribbean----------December 2006
Coral Princess-Panama Canal----April 2007
Carnival Miracle-Caribbean--------November 2007
Tahitian Princess-Tahiti--------------October 2008
Ruby Princess----Caribbean---------November 2009
Grand Princess- Caribbean---------January 2011
Caribbean Princess-Caribbean----February 2012
Ocean Princess-Tahiti Islands-February 2014

The Scuba Diving in Tahiti was fantastic

Old July 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

No, I understand your point. I did my internship in OB/GYN so I have seen things happen quickly-thank God for nurses like you! I just have seen other people on cruises that seem like a bigger liability than a healthy pregnant woman. It is a risk, as with any travel while pregnant, which is why I think they need to make an informed decision with their doctor. I guess the way I see it that no one's health is an inconvenience to me on board. If someone needs medical attention, I would rather have my plans on hold than that person have an adverse outcome. I am sure you feel the same way as you have dedicated your career to nursing. Don't you agree though that an ectopic at 12 weeks or a threatened AB at 18 weeks with buldging membranes is just a big of an emergency?? I guess that is more my point, that emergencies in pregnancy can happen at any point that would require immediate medical attention.
Disney Wonder 1/23/11
Oosterdam 05/23/10
Eurodam 11/1/08
Golden Princess 12/2003
Carnival 11/1995

Old July 6th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travalerie View Post
No, I understand your point. I did my internship in OB/GYN so I have seen things happen quickly-thank God for nurses like you! I just have seen other people on cruises that seem like a bigger liability than a healthy pregnant woman. It is a risk, as with any travel while pregnant, which is why I think they need to make an informed decision with their doctor. I guess the way I see it that no one's health is an inconvenience to me on board. If someone needs medical attention, I would rather have my plans on hold than that person have an adverse outcome. I am sure you feel the same way as you have dedicated your career to nursing. Don't you agree though that an ectopic at 12 weeks or a threatened AB at 18 weeks with buldging membranes is just a big of an emergency?? I guess that is more my point, that emergencies in pregnancy can happen at any point that would require immediate medical attention.
Yes, I do agree with you that anything can happen and many times there are people that are more at risk with their medical problems than a healthy pregnant woman. But part of the reason I feel so strongly about pregnant women being on a ship is that I see the threatened AB's/miscarriages or babies that are born at early gestation. I know that sometimes we can help and sometimes we can't. But on a cruise ship, if they delivered, it's almost a guaranteed death to the baby.
I know when I was on the Caribbean Princess I wanted a tour of the Infirmary. An awesome nurse showed me around the facility. While they have state of the art stuff, they are ER/ICU trained. Not OB. They would not have a clue what to do. And most of the Doctors wouldn't either. They were so happy to know I was on board. lol.

I know I hear questions asked on many sections here about: Can they handle CPAP machines? Can they handle Dialysis? Which totally shocks me that they could. I just think there is so much more at risk with a pregnancy. And if the infirmary couldn't handle it, I see lawsuits galore. Even if it was an informed woman signing a waiver about the cruise line being responsible if she had a bad outcome. As you probably know, everything gets a little excited when a baby is involved.
Just like when we have the Bradley childbirth folks. I swear, if something is going to go wrong, it's with them. They don't want this, they don't want that. I've seem more bad outcomes with that method. And yes, the 12 week ectopic is just as risky as the Threatened AB at 18 weeks. But the ectopic is more so. They usually hemorrhage to death if they rupture. Very scary time.
And thanks for realizing I wasn't attacking you. After being harassed, attacked and flamed on the cruise air section by some "id****", I know how that feels. It's not pleasant. Though I have pretty thick skin and blew them off. But still.

Caribbean Princess-Caribbean----February 2012
Ocean Princess-Tahiti Islands-February 2014

The Scuba Diving in Tahiti was fantastic

Old July 6th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Good point about the medical crew not having much experience with OB. I guess that would preclude any pregnant woman from traveling at all. Hopefully all-pregnant or not-will stay healthy on their cruises. LOL about the Bradley folks. My OB friend tells me she has a four point system for a C/S. One point each for: over 40, having a birth plan, having a doula, and one for no IV!!!
Disney Wonder 1/23/11
Oosterdam 05/23/10
Eurodam 11/1/08
Golden Princess 12/2003
Carnival 11/1995

Old July 6th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travalerie View Post
Good point about the medical crew not having much experience with OB. I guess that would preclude any pregnant woman from traveling at all. Hopefully all-pregnant or not-will stay healthy on their cruises. LOL about the Bradley folks. My OB friend tells me she has a four point system for a C/S. One point each for: over 40, having a birth plan, having a doula, and one for no IV!!!
lol..... Then I guess I have the same system for C-sections. Just a different variety.
1. Over 40
2. Bradley
3. no IV
The birth plan I'm fine with. Unless it's a Bradley type. And I've worked with some great doula's with my Natural Childbirth patients. The main thing is that if they are open to alternatives, IV-Monitoring-epidural, then most goes well. But when come to the hospital and ABSOLUTELY refuse everything we need to do with them, then why come at all. Go to a birthing center or stay home. Not that I advocate that....lol..... Had a friend almost lose her son in a home birth. But some folks amaze me with their thoughts.