Last Minute Luminosa Fjords booking! Have questions! Help!

iamlisad

Hi everyone -

Just booked a Fjords cruise that departs in about a week an a half on Luminosa! I usually do a lot of research and just don't have time this time. So a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to help us with!

1. We're really looking to the scenery and beauty of this cruise but not excited about some of the traditional cruise activities like dressing up for formal night. Am I understanding correctly that this ship doesn't offer a buffet option at dinner? And if so, what is the minimum we can dress up in order to be able to be in the dining room on formal night? Shirt and tie OK or is a jacket necessary?

2. Looking at an excursion out of Hellsyt or Geiranger (I'm probably spelling those wrong) that includes a hike/walk to the glacier area. Has anyone done this? Is it really a strenuous uphill walk or just a slope that would be manageable for a person with average physical stamina?

3. Anybody have any general tips about this ship or itinerary to help out this very disorganized traveler?

4. Anybody know the price of wireless on the ship and/or is it possible to find wireless in port?

Thank you all!!

Lisa in Pittsburgh

Hi everyone -

Just booked a Fjords cruise that departs in about a week an a half on Luminosa! I usually do a lot of research and just don't have time this time. So a couple of questions that I hope someone might be able to help us with!

1. We're really looking to the scenery and beauty of this cruise but not excited about some of the traditional cruise activities like dressing up for formal night. Am I understanding correctly that this ship doesn't offer a buffet option at dinner? And if so, what is the minimum we can dress up in order to be able to be in the dining room on formal night? Shirt and tie OK or is a jacket necessary?

2. Looking at an excursion out of Hellsyt or Geiranger (I'm probably spelling those wrong) that includes a hike/walk to the glacier area. Has anyone done this? Is it really a strenuous uphill walk or just a slope that would be manageable for a person with average physical stamina?

3. Anybody have any general tips about this ship or itinerary to help out this very disorganized traveler?

4. Anybody know the price of wireless on the ship and/or is it possible to find wireless in port?

Thank you all!!

Lisa in Pittsburgh

The buffet option for dinner is not available on most Costa cruises. But then again that depends on the nationality of the guests. You should be able to get pizza and salad around 6:00 pm.

For formal night if you wear dressy cloths you will be fine. No jacket or tie. I always wear a jacket and no tie.

Your best bet is to get wifi in ports. Ask crew members where they plan on using free wifi.

The Luminosa is a beautiful ship. If it's your first Costa cruise don't miss Italian night in the MDR.

The walk up to the glacier is fairly long & uphill all the way but even I managed it at 75.

If you feel you cannot finish it there is a restuarant at the bottom that most ships use for lunch, you can return there & wait for your fellow travelers to come back.

As has been said the buffet is very limited at night however if you really don't want to do formal nights (for want of a better word) why not try the specialty Restuarant on deck 14 for 20 Euros each you can have a fantastic meal and dress casual.

Although tours are pricey on ships we believe that Norway is the exception and Costa's tours are well worth the outlay there.

The Luminosa 'Ship of Light' is just that very bright mostly and sunglasses are the norm, nevertheless a really nice ship.

The All Inclusive Drinks package is a must if you like more than 3 drinks and 2 coffes in a day average glass of wine is 5.50 plus 15% service charge.