What to do on Fakarava

markser

We are taking a cruise that stops at Fakarava. The only listed excursion is scuba diving. Does PG add more that can be booked on ship if not sooner?

I have read that Ato Lissant offers an fun independent excursion, but the only web site I have found is in French. Can anyone provide more info about his tour?

Does anyone have advice about finding a snorkeling beach near where the tenders drop us?

I read we might be able to rent bicycles at a hotel. Has anyone done this?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

When we were on Paul Gauguin last April, there were snorkeling and diving excursions available in Fakarava. This was the only place where we tried to get a PG excursion but it wasn’t possible. We wanted to do Pinnacle Snorkeling in the Garuae Pass, but it was all sold out before we got on-board. We were on a wait-list but we didn’t clear. Boat capacity was only 12 people and they ran it twice, in morning and afternoon. According to the dive guys on PG, snorkeling there is the absolute best. So if this is of interest and available, I recommend you buy it on-line before you go. If it's not available on-line, I'd hustle quickly once on-board.

We ended up wandering around Fakarava, watched a performance by local school kids and then searched for a perfect snorkeling spot. We found an excellent place right off the beach along the main road, immediately to the left of the tender pier once you pass the vendors. There was a kayak launch near-by with concrete steps into the water. Very easy to get in and out! The snorkeling was very good, considering we were so close to shore.

If you get the chance, try to be on deck for either arrival or departure into Fakarava. Sailing through the Garuae Pass into the lagoon is spectacular, with huge waves crashing over the reef.

This was a great tour, we all loved it. Did this on my PG cruise

Fakarava excursion with Ato Lissant

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking for others interested in doing a lagoon tour with Ato Lissant on Fakarava on Monday, 11/21/2011. I have contacted Ato, and he is willing to plan a trip for us, but we need at least 8 people, which shouldn't be difficult after reading about his tours. This is the one that includes a blue lagoon visit and a visit to a beach with pink sands. I will try to post a link to recent CC messages where his picnic is described, but I've read nothing but rave reviews.

The cost for a half day is 7500 cfp/person and for full day including picnic is 9000 cfp/person ($89 or $107 roughly). I propose doing the full day with picnic.

fakaravaexplorer@hotmail.com

ATO LISSANT

ATOLL DE FAKARAVA

BP 11 - 98763 ROTOAVA

POLYNESIE FRANCAISE

I used this site to translate his French into English, and my English to French

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/?ref=TThis&from=fr-FR&to=en-US&text=transltor

• 2 years later...
When we were on Paul Gauguin last April, there were snorkeling and diving excursions available in Fakarava. This was the only place where we tried to get a PG excursion but it wasn’t possible. We wanted to do Pinnacle Snorkeling in the Garuae Pass, but it was all sold out before we got on-board. We were on a wait-list but we didn’t clear. Boat capacity was only 12 people and they ran it twice, in morning and afternoon. According to the dive guys on PG, snorkeling there is the absolute best. So if this is of interest and available, I recommend you buy it on-line before you go. If it's not available on-line, I'd hustle quickly once on-board.

We ended up wandering around Fakarava, watched a performance by local school kids and then searched for a perfect snorkeling spot. We found an excellent place right off the beach along the main road, immediately to the left of the tender pier once you pass the vendors. There was a kayak launch near-by with concrete steps into the water. Very easy to get in and out! The snorkeling was very good, considering we were so close to shore.

If you get the chance, try to be on deck for either arrival or departure into Fakarava. Sailing through the Garuae Pass into the lagoon is spectacular, with huge waves crashing over the reef.

I SWEAR, every time I am about to take a cruise, I go searching the ports on the CruiseCritic forums, and EVERY TIME the best advice I find is from my friend MightyQuinn. She has done it again. A couple hours ago I found out our French Polynesia 30 day itinerary on Holland America Statendam, departing San Diego, CA Oct. 3, 2014, had been changed from Rangiroa to Fakarava, so I went searching for things to do and ended up here with MightyQuinn's perfect and concise recommendation of something I would like to do in a place I know nothing about.

Love you, MightyQuinn!!!

Juju and the ole Bigdog

While Mighty's recommendations are stellar I would still suggest going with Ato to the Blue Lagoon. Its a beautiful unspoilt place. Therein lies the beauty of Fp in my opinion.

Thanks Quinn for your great advice. We were doing one of the snorkeling tours, but recent surgery prevents me doing much that is too strenuous. Your suggestions sound perfect.

While Mighty's recommendations are stellar I would still suggest going with Ato to the Blue Lagoon. Its a beautiful unspoilt place. Therein lies the beauty of Fp in my opinion.

Thanks, Emdee. I see from reading Tripadvisor that you have been with this operator twice and been happy twice. I sent him an inquiry this morning. I notice on your post above that you mentioned using a language translation website. Will it be a problem if I sent my inquiry only in English? Does Ato speak English?

Thanks,

Juju

Thanks, Emdee. I see from reading Tripadvisor that you have been with this operator twice and been happy twice. I sent him an inquiry this morning. I notice on your post above that you mentioned using a language translation website. Will it be a problem if I sent my inquiry only in English? Does Ato speak English?

Thanks,

Juju

Ato has someone to translate for him. His English is also getting better.

I have sent a ton of people to him so feel free to use my name Miriam and say I sent you.

Sometimes the Fp people have a lackadaisical attitude !

Thanks, Emdee/Miriam.

This looks to be a trip similar to one we will have been on in Bora Bora, the famous Patrick tour. Have either of you been with Patrick on his 3/4 day tour which also includes lunch on his private motu? And how does this one compare?

Patrick works with the Paul Gauguin when they are in port. The Lagoon snorkeling and feast tour on the shore excursions is the same as Patrick's. So if you want him you need to sign up for the Lagoon tour. We did it in Nov. and had a great time. We sign up for it for our upcoming trip and were wait listed so I found another tour instead. This was on Bora Bora. Hope this helps. Janine

Edited by cruisefun27

No, I was asking how the Fakarava Ato Lissant tour compared to Patrick's Bora Bora tour, if anybody had been on both, since people were saying their Fakarava tour was their best of French Polynesia. I am getting ready for a Holland America 30 day French Polynesia cruise, which is a rather different experience in many ways from a Paul Gauguin cruise. We will visit both Bora Bora and Fakarava.

Bora bora and Fakarava are very different.

Fakarava is more rustic.

Only similarity is both are motu picnics.

Since you are not on the PG the appropriate thing would be to ask this on the pacific island board.

+1 -- Emdee pointed me toward this excursion several years back. I have never seen such an amazing place. Beyond the lagoon itself, Ato stopped on the way and dropped us off to snorkel--was one of the best snorkeling spots we saw while on the cruise. On the way back, we fished for 20 minutes or so (I think I caught 3 or 4 fish!), and later he dove for clams (or similar), and he shelled them, and we ate them on his boat. Too much fun.

+1 -- Emdee pointed me toward this excursion several years back. I have never seen such an amazing place. Beyond the lagoon itself, Ato stopped on the way and dropped us off to snorkel--was one of the best snorkeling spots we saw while on the cruise. On the way back, we fished for 20 minutes or so (I think I caught 3 or 4 fish!), and later he dove for clams (or similar), and he shelled them, and we ate them on his boat. Too much fun.

I am so glad you enjoyed it. One of my favourite places along with the BB motu. I think it's the simplicity and isolation of both that I enjoy.

Sad you won't be with us to see the Rangiroa Reef. Islands.

• 2 years later...
In addition to the diving and excursion to the blue logon, in Fakarava you can rent bicycles directly on the quay. You can also make an excursion to the North Pass by car, with a wonderful snokeling at the PK9 beach. For this excursion and the bicycles, contact Fakarava Yacht Services: fakayachtservices@gmail.com

Have you been on this excursion? Please let us know what it includes.

• 1 month later...
We will be traveling with 2 older ladies, both in their 80's. They are both quite active, and both snorkel, but I am concerned about the trips described here. Would it be too much for them? Is there a more appropriate tour?

Emdee is the queen bee for this island, she'll be able to steer you right, give it a bit, she'll chime in.