Safe for a woman to take a taxi by myself in Cozumel?

bluegirlum

I posed this on the Cozumel thread but I thought it might be more applicable here. I'm a female traveling solo and I'll be in Cozumel for a day on a cruise and want to go to a beach club. I think I can do it cheaper if I book it through their website rather than through the ship, but I would have to find my own transportation there and back. I've traveled by myself many times and wouldn't be scared to take a taxi by myself anywhere in the states---I just haven't traveled solo in Mexico.

Anyone have any experience there? Thanks!

I have taken a taxi numerous times in Cozumel by myself without a problem. You probably will also be able to find someone to share a taxi with you when you go to the taxi stand at the port. Coming back you might have to take the taxi by yourself if no one is coming back the same time you are.

My sister took a taxi by herself and had a terrible experience. She got the cab in the downtown shopping area and told him to take her to where Celebrity was docked. The guy drove right past the area while my sister was telling him to please stop. He kept driving nearly a mile past. He then got out of the cab, opened the door and physically pulled her out of the cab. Thankfully, there was a restaurant there, with officers from a Carnival ship, and they saw the whole thing. They came right over to help her, yelled at the driver, and walked my sister back to the ship.

I usually try to grab a cab with other cruisrs. Last year in Cozumel, I waited at the taxi stand and asked others if I could join them. On the return trip, I agreed to meet up with them at the state park at a designated spot,

I have taken a taxi a couple times in Cozumel. They WILL cheat you on the fare. Even if it is posted. It happened each time to me AND to my fellow passengers. You are at their mercy.

Good Luck

I've never had a problem being over charged...I ALWAYS verify the price before getting in the cab...if they try to charge me more I simply tell them no...and take another cab...

Has anyone been to any Cozumel tours? I am debating tours not offered through the Ship because I want to see a lot of Cozumel and snorkel.. I have these three I am looking at. Has anyone tried these? If so - your thoughts? I would be travelling alone..... Safe?

Cozumel's Most Complete Island Jeep & Snorkel Tour by Cozumel Insider

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/islandjeep

COZUMEL JEEP TOUR by JS (Joahnn & Sandra) Tour and Travel

http://www.cozumel-tours.com/jeep-tour-cozumel.htm

Buggy and Jeep tour by Shore Excursioneer

http://www.cozumel-watersports.com/excursions/dunebuggypuntasurmayanruinssnorkel.html

I havent really had a problem, but I wanted a cab from the Carnival dock/peir area to the town and shops, and he would not take me alone, but when he got a couple who wanted to go downtown, he took us, but there was no break in price. It was ok with me, I paid 7.00 including tip, and the couple paid 10.00 plus whatever tip they paid, and I dont know, and dont care, but all Im saying is that the cab driver would not take me as a solo fare.

I think it is very important to establish the cost / fare before you get into the cab.

I havent really had a problem, but I wanted a cab from the Carnival dock/peir area to the town and shops, and he would not take me alone, but when he got a couple who wanted to go downtown, he took us, but there was no break in price. It was ok with me, I paid 7.00 including tip, and the couple paid 10.00 plus whatever tip they paid, and I dont know, and dont care, but all Im saying is that the cab driver would not take me as a solo fare.

I think it is very important to establish the cost / fare before you get into the cab.

Don't let them bully you like that. Verify price at the cab stand, break up the amount between whoever goes with you and stick to it.

The one time I was nearly gypped was being in a cab with other CC'ers who were all in couples. They wanted me to pay a couple fare! No way!

I've never had a problem in a cab alone. I speak enough Spanish they know not to try to fool me or, forbid, anything else. If I were my gorgeous 16 y/o daughter, I wouldn't do it!

Agree with the others. Get a price and stick to it. I've taken numerous cabs in Coz and never had a problem.

I've had more cab drivers try to rip me off from the Holiday Inn Port of Miami to the port! Seriously? You think I'm going to pay $18? :eek: Not in this lifetime buddy. :D

Don't let them bully you like that. Verify price at the cab stand, break up the amount between whoever goes with you and stick to it.

The one time I was nearly gypped was being in a cab with other CC'ers who were all in couples. They wanted me to pay a couple fare! No way!

I've never had a problem in a cab alone. I speak enough Spanish they know not to try to fool me or, forbid, anything else. If I were my gorgeous 16 y/o daughter, I wouldn't do it!

Thanks. I will remember this for the next time I am in Cozumel. I really do like it there a lot, but the last time I was there, based on my previous experience as a solo traveller, I decided not to go into town, and regretted my decision.

• 1 month later...

When I am off the ship by myself (single mom) I rarely have any issues. Our last trip to Cozumel, I walked all the way from the International pier past the Ferry Pier. I didn't have any issues. I kept my eyes open and aware as I walked.

In Nassau, I had an issue when some guys approched me and I quickly caught up to a husband wife group that were cruisers (you can tell) and just said 'can I join your group, those guys over there were making me feel uncomfortable'

I walked around for a while in Nassau with a group - from another ship.

I'm sure you will meet people in your Roll Call that you can join in with, or onboard or I agree at the Taxi stand. I wouldn't want to ride in a taxi by myself unless I had to.

During my last cruise, I was in Cozumel with my friend. Cozumel is my least favourite port and I will probably never get off the ship when I go there again, but we had no problems with the taxi. If I was solo though, I would try and find a group to travel with. I don't feel comfortable there.

I am a single woman and have lived in Cozumel for almost 7 years. I feel safer here than anyplace in the USA. Some tips are 1. ASK the price before you get in the taxi. If in doubt ASK to see his tarif sheet. If he refuses to take you solo then walk away and get another taxi...his loss. 2. Have some pesos, they use a 10 to 1 and it is cheaper to pay in pesos. 3. General safety...keep your purse strapped crosswise and on the side facing away from the street.

Have fun and enjoy our island!!!

• 2 weeks later...
My sister took a taxi by herself and had a terrible experience. She got the cab in the downtown shopping area and told him to take her to where Celebrity was docked. The guy drove right past the area while my sister was telling him to please stop. He kept driving nearly a mile past. He then got out of the cab, opened the door and physically pulled her out of the cab. Thankfully, there was a restaurant there, with officers from a Carnival ship, and they saw the whole thing. They came right over to help her, yelled at the driver, and walked my sister back to the ship.

That's horrible! Wonder what his problem was.

Archived