Vacation Hero Cards

kollegekreed

I included this in a review post but thought it might deserve its own conversation. I've always filled out a couple vacation hero cards per cruise for those that rise above. I learned a long time ago that these cards actually go into the employee file and are used for reviews, etc.

On this last cruise on the Getaway (a 12 day), around day 9 people started forcibly pushing these things. Bartenders especially, but stewards as well. During the last dinner in Tropicana, the beverage server actually brought them to the table at the end of the meal and spelled her name for us and left a pen.

I can only assume that, at least on the Getaway, some serious memo or staff meeting happened somewhere over these things. Has anyone else seen an increase in the "urgency" for these from crew on other ships?

I included this in a review post but thought it might deserve its own conversation. I've always filled out a couple vacation hero cards per cruise for those that rise above. I learned a long time ago that these cards actually go into the employee file and are used for reviews, etc.

On this last cruise on the Getaway (a 12 day), around day 9 people started forcibly pushing these things. Bartenders especially, but stewards as well. During the last dinner in Tropicana, the beverage server actually brought them to the table at the end of the meal and spelled her name for us and left a pen.

I can only assume that, at least on the Getaway, some serious memo or staff meeting happened somewhere over these things. Has anyone else seen an increase in the "urgency" for these from crew on other ships?

No, I haven't seen that at all, that type of thing totally turns me off, so I wouldn't write one up in that situation. I think they're worth much more when you have to go down to the guest services counter, pick it up and fill it out.

At one point they were on the dining tables in the MDRs every night and sometimes at breakfast and lunch but less so. Sometimes the server almost pushed them in front of you with a pen. On the last cruises they were very noticeable by their absence.

Also noticeable on the last cruise was that the photographers were not at all pushy as they had been on earlier ones.

I wonder if NCL had made changes or whether the senior crew on the last cruise had "had words"!! It was certainly more enjoyable without either pressure.

Mike

My last cruise in September I talked to them about it and the lady told me the way they get promoted is by having their name directly called out on a customer comment card

Do comments submitted via the online post-cruise survey make it back to the ship? We purposely mentioned a couple maitre-ds (head/assistant) from a main dining rm that went out of their way to assist with a group celebration.

We always fill them out for the people that provided great service. Usually we pick up about 4 more at the front desk. I have never been asked to fill one out by any crew member. I was on the Getaway in February and they were actually hard to find. We had to ask for them.

I like to fill them out for the hard workers who probably never get recognized. The butler, the room steward, the concierge get many of them. But there is great service in little things far away. On one cruise we filled one out for the hostess at Moderno. She went out of her way to get us a table on one busy night. Don't forget those guys who lug your heavy bags outside your door.

I noticed last cruise that NCL was really big on comment cards in the dining areas. We were always asked to fill them out. They wanted your opinion on the food and service. NCL really listens because during the behind the scenes tour these cards are hanging in the kitchen both good and bad and many parts are highlighted.

Edited by david_sobe

Do comments submitted via the online post-cruise survey make it back to the ship? We purposely mentioned a couple maitre-ds (head/assistant) from a main dining rm that went out of their way to assist with a group celebration.

Comments received on the "Vacation Hero" cards and comments from the survey to make it back to the individual ships.

Staff is allowed to hand you their name tags, so that you can spell the name and get the job title correct, but that is as far as they are supposed to go.

Comments received either by the survey or the cards help to determine the Employee of the Month, and possible promotions.

No, I haven't seen that at all, that type of thing totally turns me off, so I wouldn't write one up in that situation. I think they're worth much more when you have to go down to the guest services counter, pick it up and fill it out.

Agree

I would not like it if I was being pushed to do this. We have always got comment cards and filled them out naming those who have given great service and have never told the person we had done this. I prefer to do it because I want to do it and circumstances warrant it. I will not be willing to complete a card under these circumstances as it actually devalues a good experience.

I am wondering if some staff have been told that there is an extra amount from the service charges available to those with most good comment cards?

We were never pushed to fill one out on our 12 day getaway cruise. We found them randomly at guest services, and filled it out for 2 employees who we felt should be recognized. One was a bartender who was fantastic, and the other for the employee who did the behind the scenes tour. But we really did not have bad service with anyone. Everyone was always so friendly and helpful on our cruise!!! :D

In all of the NCL cruises we've taken I've never seen them. I've filled out the post cruise survey, but have never seen these cards. I doubt I will even go look for them on my next cruise and I surely hope that they aren't pushed on me by the crew.

In all of the NCL cruises we've taken I've never seen them. I've filled out the post cruise survey, but have never seen these cards. I doubt I will even go look for them on my next cruise and I surely hope that they aren't pushed on me by the crew.

The cards are usually at the Guest Services Desk. I usually grab a few and take them to my cabin, where I write them at my leisure. Then I return them to the desk, where there should be a place to deposit them.

Some staff members said that a good comment card is just as important as a tip, because it can mean a raise.

No NCL worker has ever given me the cards or put them in my cabin on any of my cruises.

But I was traveling with friends last cruise and her room steward did leave one on the last night.

I think they should put them in the cabins the first night, some cruisers don't even know those cards exist.

Edited by monkeybone

The only time I've been pushed for a good review was my one non-NCL cruise. The steward almost begged for an excellent rating. I was honest and gave her a slightly above average rating.

Never happened on an NCL cruise. So far.

--Michael

The only time I've been pushed for a good review was my one non-NCL cruise. The steward almost begged for an excellent rating. I was honest and gave her a slightly above average rating.

Never happened on an NCL cruise. So far.

--Michael

Same with me. On my last RCCL cruise, the room steward became a real pest about it. We never had one conversation that didn't include him telling us to give him a great rating. The thing about it...he wasn't good. He ignored simple requests, like wanting ice a couple of times. And it was almost 10 pm before he got to making up our room in the evening. I think because he was spending so much time asking people for a good rating.

On the last night he asked if I had turned in my card and rated him high and I had to say no. I told him I threw it away and left it at that.

I think the best method would be that upon request from the guest, the cabin steward would leave a few cards in the cabin. The guest does not have to go to the office to get them but they also have the opportunity to do this for crew they think deserve the praise. I'm more likely to fill out a card if I don't have to chase around to get one.

If a crew person asked me to complete one for them, No Way. I don't like that sort of in your face pressure.

Edited by sail7seas

We've never been "forced" to write one. I have written several (one for the band that played throughout the week) They were fabulous and really added to our enjoyment of the cruise. I have also done a "Letter to Prem" or HD. I have also asked for business cards and in my post cruise survey noted them by name. I am on the other side of the coin, I rave about excellent service but have a hard time raising a complaint. If I do, the issue was MAJOR!!

I agree though with a lot of the posters....as much as I like to say nice things, if someone is throwing the cards in my face, it would bother me. Begging for a great review is not great customer service.

I look for opportunities to recognize staff members who might not normally receive hero recognition.

Most recently, I noted the Cagney's hostess taking it upon herself to clear and reset tables during a very busy spell. Another was for a "carpenter" who loaned me a screwdriver to fix my selfie stick.

The Hero cards help the individual crew members. We always take the time to recognize those crew members who have helped make our vacation memorable. If a crew member did an extraordinary job, both me and my DW fill out separate cards for the crew members (numbers of positive comments count).

• 11 months later...
i'm home now , can the hero cards just be returned to corporate in miami. i did the ncl survey and noted my hero in there but just wanted to make sure they get some recognition

I'm sure they can be submitted to corporate; just make sure to include the ship and sailing date (I can't recall if that info is on the card).

When I read the first post about crew pushing Hero cards on guests on Getaway, wondered what might be going on. But then saw this is a very old thread so assume that guests are not experiencing that a lot or we would have read more about it since this thread started. Certainly would be frowned upon to have crew pushing guests to fill one out on their behalf.

That said, I love those cards and the recognition they give to the hard working crew member cited. I've seen them posted along the "I-91" corridor and they seem to be motivational to continue doing a great job. I personally have seen stacks of them with the HD reading all the comments so they do take them seriously.

Not sure if they still have the stewards leave one in the cabin around mid-week. They also have quite a supply at the front desk and will gladly xerox more!:)