Hair Dryers and Shampoo on Princess..

curlybelle2

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next week. I need to save space in the suitcase. Are there hair dryers in the cabins? Also do they provide shampoo?

We have sailed before with Princess but it has been a few years, so I thought I would check. Thanks

We are sailing on the Caribbean Princess next week. I need to save space in the suitcase. Are there hair dryers in the cabins? Also do they provide shampoo?

We have sailed before with Princess but it has been a few years, so I thought I would check. Thanks

Yes, cabins on Princess have hair dryers and shampoo. No need to pack your own:).

They do provide both. However, that said, I have found that the hairdryer takes about 45 minutes - an hour to dry my shoulder length hair completely and, even then, I need to start with the straightening iron if I want my hair really straight. To save myself at least 40 minutes that could be better spent enjoying my cruise, as well as keep the temperature in the room cool, I would rather bring my own hairdryer and bring one less pair of shoes or make due with a few less "things" in my suitcase. My DH has asked why I can't live without drying my hair -- I just give him "the look". As for shampoo, again, personal preference. Princess provides the shampoos they use in the spa, but I prefer what I use at home, so I usually get trial sizes from my salon whenever I purchase shampoo & conditioner and put them away until I go on vacation.

They do provide both. However, that said, I have found that the hairdryer takes about 45 minutes - an hour to dry my shoulder length hair completely and, even then, I need to start with the straightening iron if I want my hair really straight. To save myself at least 40 minutes that could be better spent enjoying my cruise, as well as keep the temperature in the room cool, I would rather bring my own hairdryer and bring one less pair of shoes or make due with a few less "things" in my suitcase. My DH has asked why I can't live without drying my hair -- I just give him "the look". As for shampoo, again, personal preference. Princess provides the shampoos they use in the spa, but I prefer what I use at home, so I usually get trial sizes from my salon whenever I purchase shampoo & conditioner and put them away until I go on vacation.

Your DH IMHAO makes a good point about the "live without drying" hair idea. Many women don't use a hair dryer and their hair looks great. Or maybe you could do your hair styling on the balcony with a nice styling brush and the great ocean breezes. You could also wear a wig. My point is that there are options.

If you can't live with what is provided, bring your own. Cruising should be enjoyable. Right?

The hairdryers are weak................the shampoo is a eucalyptus/rosemary kind of scent.....I love it........

Agree--weak, weak, weak. If I want to pull the curl out of my hair, I need a dryer with more wattage. So, I brink my own.

While I love the smell of the shampoo and conditioner, it's pretty harsh. If you use organic shampoos without sulfites, then bring your own. This stuff has an awful lot of detergent.

I have really short hair and I always bring my own dryer as well as my own shampoo and conditioner. My hair dryer goes in my carry on as well as my shampoo and conditioner in small TSA approved bottles. If needed I will pack extra in my checked luggage. I find the dryers on the ships useless. On Celebrity it was actually in the bathroom but looked more like a vacum hose. Worked great though to clear the steam from the mirror. Enjoy your cruise.:)

I don't ever use a dryer so not sure of strength but can tell you it won't dry even nylon panties! or a spot cleaned:(. The shampoo makes my nose itch and I even ask my husband not to use it. Little bottles from home usually do me if I'm not gone over 4 weeks.

Also if you are doing laundry in the laundry room bring Purell 3-in1 sheets -- much better clean than the little boxes in the dispenser and MUCH cheaper.

I also find their hair dryers too weak and need to bring my own but at least the plug is in a decent locaton on Princess ships. On the HAL ships the outlet is right at the desktop which makes it impossible to plug in as most blow dryers have the oversided plugs with the thick cord going down (not straight out).

I don't ever use a dryer so not sure of strength but can tell you it won't dry even nylon panties! or a spot cleaned:(. The shampoo makes my nose itch and I even ask my husband not to use it. Little bottles from home usually do me if I'm not gone over 4 weeks.

Also if you are doing laundry in the laundry room bring Purell 3-in1 sheets -- much better clean than the little boxes in the dispenser and MUCH cheaper.

Purell is the hand sanitizer and PUREX is the laundry sheet, and they are great and don't take up room in the luggage.

The HD / shampoo debate depends a lot on personal preference. DW had no problem with the HD in our mini-suite on the Crown, but she travels 50% of the time for business and refuses to drag a dryer with her to help keep her luggage weight down. She did bring her own shampoo.

I had no problem with the shampoo or soap provided but I've used dish detergent for shampoo when camping ;), so...

I always bring my own hair dryer but on Carrribean Princess In January the dryer was a different style than the Usualflat dryer that is on the other Princess Ships I have been on. It worked way better and if I am on Carriben Princess again for me I will not bring my own dryer I will use theirs but it is a personal choice. I also have short hair. The shampoo and cream rinse provided also work for me.

My hair can be quite thick and takes a while to dry, and I don't mind the hair dryers on board. I also bring my straightening iron with me after I blow dry my hair. The shampoo and conditioner on board is so nice! I was able to bring a couple of small bottles back with me and I'm using them now at home...the smell reminds me of the cruise :) They also give you body lotion that smells the same, too!

Curlybelle- is your hair curly? Mine is, hyper-curly. I don't usually dry my hair at all, but took my diffuser in case I needed to get out of the cabin fast after showering. It was a huge waste of space: the dryer on the ship was rectangular. However, it is also so weak that, on low, it basically was its own diffuser. I used it far more (on low) to dry nail polish than hair. Also, if your hair IS curly, there is no way the provided conditioner will be strong enough...if you can even get past that smell. Bring your own.

Archived