Why so few?

aguamel

Having been an active Cruise Critic on the "big ships", I find it sad that there are so few who know and join for the River Boats. We are booked on Uniworld River Princess, Paris to Vienna Sept. 30, 2012. Anyone out there on the same?

Having been an active Cruise Critic on the "big ships", I find it sad that there are so few who know and join for the River Boats. We are booked on Uniworld River Princess, Paris to Vienna Sept. 30, 2012. Anyone out there on the same?

A few folks joined our May 3rd roll call but when you consider that there are 150-200 on a river cruise compared to 3,000 or more on a cruise ship, that doesn't surprise me. I think percentage-wise we did great!

Sounds like a wonderful cruise you are booked on - Paris should be perfect in September/October!

A few folks joined our May 3rd roll call but when you consider that there are 150-200 on a river cruise compared to 3,000 or more on a cruise ship, that doesn't surprise me. I think percentage-wise we did great!

Sounds like a wonderful cruise you are booked on - Paris should be perfect in September/October!

Yes, I have consider that fact, smaller # of passengers, but to not have any response as I see on some threads is too bad. I find many cruisers who do not know about CC, but it is catching on.

Being a retired teacher it has been my practice to take a trip in Sept. A rembrance of the 30+ years I went back to teaching. So far have done just that in the now 22 years of retirement and hope to be able to do it for many more years. Happy traveling.

Yes, I have consider that fact, smaller # of passengers, but to not have any response as I see on some threads is too bad. I find many cruisers who do not know about CC, but it is catching on.

Being a retired teacher it has been my practice to take a trip in Sept. A rembrance of the 30+ years I went back to teaching. So far have done just that in the now 22 years of retirement and hope to be able to do it for many more years. Happy traveling.

Like you, I was surprised to get no response to my roll call thread for my first river cruise, even taking into consideration the lower number of passengers than found on ocean cruises. I did join in on the roll calls of other dates of my same itinerary to be able to chat with others about the cruise, packing, tours, etc., and found that both helpful and enjoyable.

Knowing the chances of finding other passengers were slim to none, I started an all inclusive roll call for Russia. Quite a number of people have chimed in.

Absolutely amazed that 8 of us have "found" each other for our cruise on the River Victoria on May 30th.

Some of the roll calls are more generic (ie: Vantage, China travellers). I wonder if there would be more people posting in if you posted for the tour/itinerary and included all dates.

Just a thought...

Fran

Please consider this: in addition to the way smaller numbers, not every cruiser wants to join a group they don't know. We want to have choices and therefore the lack of tables for two is a major issue. I don't think we're unfriendly but would rather scope things out before committing:)

Please consider this: in addition to the way smaller numbers, not every cruiser wants to join a group they don't know. We want to have choices and therefore the lack of tables for two is a major issue. I don't think we're unfriendly but would rather scope things out before committing:)

That is what is go good about Cruise Critic. It is mainly for those who want to find out more about what you are seeing and doing as well as meet others who have similar interests. Cruise Critic allows you to "scope" out whom you might want to join up with before sailing. We have joined with others from around the world to go on small group tours, often as few as a total of 4, but usually no more than 10. We have the option to choose what to see and do rather than at the will of the cruise ship's tours with a full bus load. And almost always at a less cost than the ship's offerings. Over the years we have made great friends with fellow cruisers, keep in touch and even going on future cruises. Hopefully if that is what you want, stay with your table for two, you are missing a great part of your cruise. But then there are those who do not meet "strangers" easily. I see you are not a newcomer to CC with over 700 "hits". Have you joined a Roll call and joined with other passengers for tours? Hopefully if so they have been good experiences.

I think you will find that since there is a much smaller group of passengers, it is easy to become acquainted once you are on board. On a large ship, you may never run into the same people again, even if you have enjoyed chatting with them in a restaurant or bar. For that reason, it's nice to meet ahead of time on the boards and make some plans. On the river cruise, there is one large lounge for socializing, an open deck, and a dining room with one seating. It is easy to make friends and plan to sit together. As for the tours, they are included in the price and aren't done in large groups. The ship provides local guides in each port and the group per guide is usually only about twenty people. I too have participated in roll calls and enjoyed meeting folks in advance for large ocean cruise ships, but it really doesn't seem to be necessary for the river boats. It's still nice that there is a river boat section on cruise critic for informational purposes. We cruised on River Princess in 2009 and loved it. I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

Archived