london transfers

smcg

london transfers, ouch!

priced out gatwick to london

then london to dover

dover to gatwick for our trip next august.

for 3 of us it came to 75, 140 and 125 pounds for each leg

there's got to be a better way!!

i'm not sure I want to do the underground what with all the cruise luggage.

any other thoughts? I figure for the 3 of us, we'll each have a carryon type, and probably 2-3 suitcases and 1 garment bag.

sheree

london transfers, ouch!

then london to dover

any other thoughts? I figure for the 3 of us, we'll each have a carryon type, and probably 2-3 suitcases and 1 garment bag.

sheree

Sheree,

This is a frequently asked question on these boards. If you do a search or just go back through the previous pages, you'll find tons of information re. this journey.

In the meantime, just off the top of my head, here are your main (& easiest) options:

* Train from Gatwick to London Victoria Station, then train from London Victoria to Dover. Reverse the process to get back to Gatwick from Dover after your cruise. (In other words, you will be making two round trips rather than three one-way trips. In fact, I believe you can buy the ticket as one round trip--Gatwick to Dover via London Victoria.)

OR:

*Train from Gatwick to London Victoria Station as in the previous option. Then walk two blocks from the train terminal to Victoria Coach Station; take a National Express Coach to Dover. (Again, these journeys can be purchased as round trips.)

You can get from Gatwick to Dover without going through London, but this involves a trickier change of trains (and sometimes two changes).

If you haven't done so already, check the National Rail and National Express websites to determine which option is easiest & cheapest for you.

i have searched and was only finding about southampton port. thanks though

i'm concerned about luggage and the train. same with the bus.

i guess i'm spoiled re transfers here in the us!

how easy is it to schlep that amount of luggage on and off the train and bus?

sheree

:) I priced one way to Dover Priory (railway station name) from Gatwick and it came to 22 pounds sterling p/p with 1 stop at Tonbridge..this way you dont have to go to London and back track to Dover..Would you be going on the Splendor 8/30/2008 by anychance? On your return journey I know Carnival advises not to make any air resevations b4 12noon due to the docking time into Dover and the ride to Gatwick so a train ride for me on Sept 11, 2008 would be out of the question I will be to get a transfer from Carnival...just food for thought...try nationalrail.com for pricing (quote=smcg;12219270]london transfers, ouch!

then london to dover

sheree

Another option to get to Dover is to simply rent a car and drive yourself. Its actually a pretty easy drive and with a car you have the ability to explore and do as your please. The last time we did this drive we simply dropped our car in Dover (I think it was either Hertz or Europcar) and they drove us over to the pier.

Hank

not sure I want to drive on the left side somewhere we're not familiar!!

getting back to my original question, how do the trains/bus handle luggage? i can't walk great distances wwith 2 bags!! that's why we were thinking car and driver but wow are they expensive.

i went online re the rail and it was a bit confusing and I see it's definitely cheaper, i'm just concerned re the luggage. i know the metros have a lot of stairs so that definitely wouldn't be doable

sheree

You do not need to use the Metro/Underground from Gatwick to Dover. just change at Victoria or London Bridge on the overground trains.

Victoria is probably the better route, all the trains are on ground level.

At Gatwick there is a lift or escalators down to the platforms.

On UK trains you do not check luggage in or anything like that and there is no big step up to board the carriages. You have to carry your own luggage on board and out it either on the racks above the seats or at a special luggage open compartment in the carriage.

Hi smcg,

If you get 6 Brits talking about a railway journey you get at least 7 opinions as the best solution!

Just a few points

1. trains are generally much easier to use than in the US and much more likely to be on time. With so many trains running they have to be.

2. you do not check your bags but keep them with you. The journeys are generally short and the platforms are the the same level as the doors so you can easily load and unload.

3. even if you have to change platforms there are normally level transfers or lifts (elevators) because of the requirement to cater for wheel chair users.

4. you need a degree in fares to make sure you get the best deal. In general the best deals are to buy one ticket from your start to finish points. As with an air ticket it's often best to buy one ticket rather than the individual sectors. In addition, a return (round trip) ticket usually gives better value than a single (one way) ticket. (This doesn't necessarily apply if you are doing longer trips further from London)

5. Current total price for round trip tickets between Gatwick and Dover Priory station with 3 people travelling is GBP83.40 or GBP 55.05 with a Network Railcard (which costs GBP20.00 but takes a long time to explain how to get one). That is in total, not per person. These particular fares apply only to trains which leave after rush hour so may not be suitable for you. A whole range of fares can be juggled - that's why you need a degree. I'm sure someone will help with the best deal if you ask nearer your travel date

So, lots of options are available and lots of routes are possible. Around 30 trains leave Gatwick station each hour so it gives lots of opportunities. That's why if you would like to make transfers by train you can normally do so at much better value than the costs you originally thought.

Have a great trip.

Hey Blue Vinney,

You seem to very knowledgeable about the transfers so my question is ..what about London Heathrow to Harwich in Aug 2008. I know there is a train from Liverpool st to Harwich but what about getting from Heathrow to Liverpool ST?. Any ideas on what a taxi would cost?

as well I am getting conflicting costs for the train from Liverpool st to Harwich. any ideas???

Thank you.

C.

Hi cruisingisforme,

Just to start with a few details which I posted on another thread about London to Harwich.

London to Harwich (pronounced Har-ridge)

I guess you will need to join your ship in the early afternoon. Trains leave from Liverpool Street station. You can choose to travel by Tube or taxi from your hotel.

Trains leave Liverpool Street at 18 minutes past the hour for destination Harwich Town station. You alight the train at Harwich International station and are due there at 44 minutes past the following hour. For example, the 12:18, 13:18 and 14:18 are due at 13:44, 14:44 and 15:44 respectively

Single fares are currently GBP23.00 Standard (coach) and GBP36.50 First class.

Return (round-trip) fares are GBP25.00Standard and GBP69.30 First.

Rail details are at http://www.onerailway.com/

The entrance to the Cruise Terminal is adjacent to the railway station. Details are at http://www.harwich.co.uk/port_cruise.asp

Hope that helps but you may need a university degree to work through all the options for rail fares. For the correct fares and times for next August post again in the May/June timeframe as timetables are only set 3 months ahead, although it is highly likely that they will be the same as those above.

Would consider travelling by Tube (subway) from Heathrow to Liverpool Street ? If so the cost would be about GBP 4.75 pp. The Piccadilly Line train runs from all Heathrow terminals into the centre of London where you would need to change to complete your journey but your ticket covers the whole journey. Be aware it will be quite busy and you have to carry/pull your own bags.

A map of the Tube can be downloaded from http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/1108.aspx and more information is available on that site.

A slightly less busy way would be to take the 'Heathrow Express' train from the airport to Paddington Station and either take a tube train from there directly to Liverpool Street Station or take a cab from Paddington to Liverpool Street. Details of Heathrow Express are at https://www.heathrowexpress.com

Just post again if I can help further.

Thank you bluevinney and lord of seas(love that title) for all your info. I don't want to do the train tube train, that would be much cheaper but I really think that would be to much, especially after a long flight. If I take the cheapest train 25 pounds and the cab 160 pounds (return) that would cost me $366.00 cad. I can get a cruise transfer return for $250.00 cad. Plus I am met at the airport...so I am better off with the cruise line bus transfer. I don't plan to stay pre or post.

I thought the cruise transfer price was high but as you have all very kindly worked it out for me, that price seems pretty good now.

Thank you bluevinney for giving me the costs and times as I was having a very hard time with the train web site, as you said it doesn't have stuff until 3 months prior. You have saved me from a very big headache.

Thank you all for all your info and support.

Charlotte:)

After telling my husband about the transfers and train etc I realized i can't add. Taxi from Heathrow 80.00 pounds each way train London to Harwich 25 pounds. That would be 105 pounds per person which is 208.00 cad at todays exchange rate. The cruise transfer is $250.00 cad per person, a bit more but without the hassle and worry.

again thank you everyone for all your input and time.

C:)

We used National Express, and got their funfares from London Victoria to Southampton. You have to check their web site, but they will list all the times and prices for your date.

Now, the transfers by the cruise line are on a bus, so what's the difference but about $75 per person?

National Express drivers help you with your luggage, which goes in the underneath luggage hold just like the cruise transfer buses.

Make it easy on yourselves, though. If you have that many transfers try to cut down on the luggage. That's a lot of moving them around on your own before the transfer and after, except at the airport and dock where there are porters.

We went on National Express Heathrow to Victoria, and Victoria to Southampton for $18 US equivalent. That's NOT a typo: DH is over 60, and we got the funfare to Southampton, as I said.

This is a very efficient bus company, on time, help with the luggage, comfy buses.

Hey Peggy,

Thanks for suggesting National Express. At this time it won't quote, even if I use a current date but it appears they go to Harwich, will just have to wait and see closer to the date. Thanks

C:)

You are very welcome! It hit me when I was planning our Millie cruise this past April/May, and checked with my TA about transfers to the ship. The price was crazy!!

Then, it hit me that a bus is a bus is a bus, right? Then, I checked National Express, and could not believe the price difference. Now, Southampton is one of their funfare stops, and Harwich may not be, so if you were to put in a closer date, you could see how much it will cost (give or take a price increase :D ).

I hope it works out for you!

We used Darren at Adelphi Executive Hire both ways. He has a nice van, was extremely professional and very reasonable. He was highly recommended on my cruise critic research. We had 2 bags each and a carry on so the train was out of the question especially after a long flight and besides this is supposed to be "vacation". On our way home he met us at 6 or 7 AM, we carried our own bags off the ship well ahead of the crowd and we made the 10:10 flight home.

He is quick to follow up here is his email:

info@adelphiexecutivehire.co.uk

Enjoy your cruise!

thanks for the replies so far.

of course i'm more confused then ever!

there will be 3 of us, myself, dh and ds, with probably 4 pieces of luggage (that's not bad for over 2 weeks!) and backpacks

i will look into the bus as well

gatwick into london to the hilton

hilton to dover

dovert to gatwick

i think for dover to gatwick either train or bus will work, the london to dover is thelong tricky one!

sheree

it's between the Hilton Park Lane, Green Park and Waldorf. I will be using our Hilton HHonors points. I have to call each to find out which one can accomodate a child in the room.

is there a preference? we'll be in London Fri, Sat, Sun and will be going to the normal tourist sites, the eye, the palaces, the abbey. not going to do the theatre most likely.

I can't believe how difficult and expensive transfers are! are there normal taxi's vs private cars? Not sure if they are priced prohibitively or not

sheree

The Waldorf is very close to Charing Cross Station that has regular trains to/from Dover if you are watching your budget. How to do this transfer independently including taxi from cruise terminal to railway station is at this Dver Cruise Terminal to Central London by Public Transport page.

The Hilton Park Lane is quite a ritzy, exclusive address overlooking Hyde Park but might be relatively awkward for the main sights to the other two.

Not on your list is the Hilton Tower Bridge, which is close to London Bridge, the train stop before Charing Cross. This will probably be less points and with the Underground as your choice to get around London is convenient.

London Bridge also has direct trains to Gatwick Airport

All are the same points including tower bridge!

I need to call each individually to see which will accomodate the 3 of us

i haven't booked air yet so not sure where we'll fly into.

sounds like Waldorf will be easiest for train from airports then to dover.

what about the Green Park Hilton? i like the looks of it

sheree

This place looks sooo cool! And I LOVE the location.

OK, so how about this: Gatwick Express to Victoria Station - really the only way to go - quite easy, even if shlepping lots of bags. Once you get to Victoria, there should be luggage carts on the platform anyways so that will be OK. Then take a cab to the Hilton Green Park (not very far so I can't imagine it will be that expensive). Then when you're ready to go to Dover, take a cab to Charing Cross (there again, not very far) and hop a train to Dover.

For those hesitant to take the underground with lots of luggage, the Picadilly line that goes to Heathrow has trains built for luggage - lots of room - and you can take your luggage cart right to the gate of the station, so not far at all to walk.

Archived