Freestyle sunbathing on NCL Epic

SAEMike

saemike, have you been to Barcelona before? If not, and you're arriving only 2 days before your ships departure, you'll probably want to skip the CO beach and spend your 2 days actually seeing the sights in Barcelona. It's a wonderful city, and we found that 2 days was barely just enough to scratch the surface.

Hope you have a great trip. When you return, please do tell us how you handled the CO deck and what it was like. :-)

My vote too, there is so much to see. At least you can always bare all in the men's sauna area.

We thought about Stiges, for our 3-day precruise in Barca, but there was too much. Along with the other options, check out Montserrat (must see, by train) and while you're on the HOHO don't forget Gaudi's Park Guell and Montjuic. Not sure which line it's on, but so cool. :D Have lots of fun and a Happy Birthday SAEMike!! Libra or Scorpio?

I'm sure you have your hotel booked, but the Hotel Grand, right at the top of Ramblas and on the HOHO bus route is amazing, with a roof-top infinity pool and very good dinner / breakfast packages (Coke and Cava complimentary daily stocked in your fridge...).

Edited by Mermen

My vote too, there is so much to see. At least you can always bare all in the men's sauna area.

We thought about Stiges, for our 3-day precruise in Barca, but there was too much. Along with the other options, check out Montserrat (must see, by train) and while you're on the HOHO don't forget Gaudi's Park Guell and Montjuic. Not sure which line it's on, but so cool. :D Have lots of fun and a Happy Birthday SAEMike!! Libra or Scorpio?

I'm sure you have your hotel booked, but the Hotel Grand, right at the top of Ramblas and on the HOHO bus route is amazing, with a roof-top infinity pool and very good dinner / breakfast packages (Coke and Cava complimentary daily stocked in your fridge...).

Thanks for the birthday wishes! My birthday is on the 1st so I'm a Libra. My best friend's birthday, with whom I'm going, is on the 18th so he's a Libra, too.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll make it to Sitges while we're in Barca, although I hear great things about it. We'll have to see how the second day unfolds and decide if we want to spend the extra money getting around. I guess I should probably do my research of the area more before we leave. I'm so excited about this trip. My first cruise, my first time to Barcelona, and my first time to Italy. What a way to celebrate the 40th!

We're staying at Hotel Hesperia del Port. I don't think it's right on Las Ramblas, but it's not far from it either. I don't think it's too far from the port either. I've already found it on Google Earth. :-) I think I'm more concerned about the pick pockets I keep reading so much about on Las Ramblas. Wonder how much trouble I would get in if I happen to throttle a pick pocket when I catch them? Anyway, whatever we don't get to see in the 2 days before the cruise maybe we'll get to see in the one extra day we're spending there after the cruise before flying back to Atlanta. We shall see!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! My birthday is on the 1st so I'm a Libra. My best friend's birthday, with whom I'm going, is on the 18th so he's a Libra, too.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll make it to Sitges while we're in Barca, although I hear great things about it. We'll have to see how the second day unfolds and decide if we want to spend the extra money getting around. I guess I should probably do my research of the area more before we leave. I'm so excited about this trip. My first cruise, my first time to Barcelona, and my first time to Italy. What a way to celebrate the 40th!

We're staying at Hotel Hesperia del Port. I don't think it's right on Las Ramblas, but it's not far from it either. I don't think it's too far from the port either. I've already found it on Google Earth. :-) I think I'm more concerned about the pick pockets I keep reading so much about on Las Ramblas. Wonder how much trouble I would get in if I happen to throttle a pick pocket when I catch them? Anyway, whatever we don't get to see in the 2 days before the cruise maybe we'll get to see in the one extra day we're spending there after the cruise before flying back to Atlanta. We shall see!

True, true. I would leave Montjuic then for the day you guys return. You can catch an aerial tram, just outside of the port (easy walkable access) and the tram will take you to Montjuic. Very cool place to shop, eat/drink and hang out. Replica of the city from back in the day.

We were concerned about the street urchins too, and just made sure to keep our wallets in our front pocket - of cargo shorts and jeans. Worked fine and we didn't witness any problems on Ramblas. Heard about it though. Where it seems to happen most is around the street performers on Las Ramblas. Lots of tourists gather around to see locals painted and acting as statues. The street urchins hang out there too and are quick at nabbing purses or unsecure backpacks, etc. while the tourists gaze in wonderment... We have that crap here in SF and it doesn't attract us, LOL. You're from a large city, so you guys are aware and cautious I'm sure.

Sorry, didn't intend to play tour guide...but if you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me: scorpgc@gmail.com

Happy sailing!

Gary

We were concerned about the street urchins too, and just made sure to keep our wallets in our front pocket - of cargo shorts and jeans. Worked fine and we didn't witness any problems on Ramblas.

For what its worth, you have to watch out even when you keep your wallets in snapped closed front pockets. When Mike and I were in Buenos Aires (yeah I know its not Barcelona but its similar), some nice folks who were "helping" us clean off the bird S*%T that turned out to be mud from our shirts were able to get into his pocket and remove cash and credits cards from his cargo pants front pocket without him knowing it. If they hadn't of accidently dropped his insurance card as they were starting to make their getaway, we wouldn't have known it. I suspect that my only saving grace was that I tend to keep my hand on my wallet when in tourist areas.

All this chatter about Barcelona is making me want to go there again. But we are leaving for Boardeaux in 2 weeks to spend a week before heading up to get on a HAL Baltic cruise so I guess it will have to be another time!

If you have the time Sitges is really worth the short trip. My partner and I went on our second cruise out of Barcelona and decided to check out Sitges this time. It was very easy to get there. Extremely friendly, great beaches, wonderful cafes and we would go back in a heartbeat.

If you have the time Sitges is really worth the short trip. My partner and I went on our second cruise out of Barcelona and decided to check out Sitges this time. It was very easy to get there. Extremely friendly, great beaches, wonderful cafes and we would go back in a heartbeat.

Thanks, I'm playing around with the possibility of taking a day trip to Sitges on our second day in Barcelona. I'm a bit freaked out right now over all the stories I have been reading about pickpockets in Barcelona. I usually carry a sling backpack (no NOT a sling IN a backpack! :-) ) whenever I'm traveling. But all of the stories I have been reading have got me skittish and trying to figure out what my alternatives are.

On a different note more related to my original post here, it looks like I created a bit of a firestorm on the "Cruise Lines "A-O" " under Norwegian Cruise Lines. It's amazing how people get all up in arms over the topic of nudity. Ugh!

I don't think you should be any more worried than anywhere else. Paris subway, Florence, Rome - these are all places that have a thriving industry of pickpockets. My advice is carry only what is necessary, and put your stuff in a front pocket with a zipper (tighter fit is better) or keep you hand in your pocket and you will be fine.

• 10 months later...
I am sorry for you. It's only topless for women. Hope there is stille enough to watch for you:D

I was on Epic August 28th 2011, went up there twice and each time about 3 women and 5 men totally nude :-) do anything goes!

Just be careful of your junk!:D

Edited by CrusingJoe

I saw a Q&A on the NCL website about the freestyle deck on the Pearl and it had a pic of the sign that said "FREESTYLE DECK IS FOR TOPLESS SUNBATHING - NOT BOTTOMLESS, I.E. NO FULL NUDISTS".

But I guess whatever happens happens.... and I doubt the staff really wants to get involved.

I did learn my lesson my first time going au naturelle at orient beach in st martin...... :eek: so you-know-who needs a little protection.

I saw a Q&A on the NCL website about the freestyle deck on the Pearl and it had a pic of the sign that said "FREESTYLE DECK IS FOR TOPLESS SUNBATHING - NOT BOTTOMLESS, I.E. NO FULL NUDISTS".

But I guess whatever happens happens.... and I doubt the staff really wants to get involved.

I did learn my lesson my first time going au naturelle at orient beach in st martin...... :eek: so you-know-who needs a little protection.

So a little protection for the little guy! :D

So SAEMike didn't even report back after all that? How disappointing!

I was hoping for a report as well, but something must have gone right--looks like he's booked on the same ship for next year!

OR maybe he went full monty and NCL didn't like it and SAEMike is now permanently jailed aboard Epic ....hmm, I could think of worse punishments.

OR maybe he went full monty and NCL didn't like it and SAEMike is now permanently jailed aboard Epic ....hmm, I could think of worse punishments.

Hmmm... Now THERE'S a thought! And, if you're right, lucky him!

I had to laugh at this last part of the post. :D

I seriously doubt security is going to go up there and yell at anyone for going bottomless unless they receive complaints from fellow passengers. However, I do prefer the balcony for my nude bathing. If they're going to be looking around the dividers then sc*ew 'em! :p:eek::D

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I sailed on the Epic July 8 through 15 and I spent several hours each day on the upper freestyle deck suntanning in the nude each time. My roommate and I were always in the nude and there was usually an older couple tanning in the nude. There was one waiter who covered his genitals when on his back and 2 guys, friends of Dorothy, one in trunks and the other in the nude. We had several visitors, male and female, and ALL of them left once they got to the top of the stairs and saw us in the nude.

One time one or two waiters began folding up all of the deck chairs and neatening up everything below and next thing I saw an Officer come upstairs accompanied by a waiter and I thought, oops, they are coming up to tell us to get clothed. They started straightening the deck chairs and I asked if they wanted to do the same with the deck chairs we were on and they assured us they didn't that they were just organizing the chairs on one side of the deck.

I thought there were enough waiters/workers who knew we were using the freestyle deck in the nude and from our experience we were okay. I do think it would help to include the word Clothing Optional on the sign Adults only Freestyle Deck.

A real experience! YEAY. If NCL was smart they would make it CO and advertise it a little. Judging by the number of people on Haulover Beach last week there is a big population of people looking for a place to "shuck the shorts".

Thanks for telling about your experience. Did you use the spa at all and how was the nudist experience there?

Edited by RMorningglory

@RMorningGlory-

I'm sorry that I didn't try the men's side of the spa, hot tub, sauna...I read on this blog that it was pure nudity. I deliberately stayed away from the spa, b/c I had the impression from all of the spa ads, that it was going to be high priced. I should have taken advantage of the discount when I didn't go ashore.

I wonder what a Nude cruise would be like? probably not good for my blood pressure...but then again everybody would be nude.