Sovereign 1/24/05 Review

Just got off SOS this morning and wanted to let all those that have been wondering about the recent drydock know that this is a very nice ship indeed. My DH and myself had no idea what to expect and were very pleasantly surprised in all areas. The ship looks great, the food was very good, the service in the dining room was equal to the majority of our Celebrity cruises (minus the Sommelier), waiter and assistant waiter took excellent care of our table. The new look of the Windjammer buffet area is very nice and the quality of the food on the buffets was very good with a very large variety.

The entertainment was also better than we expected. Rock 'n Roll Dueling Pianos was fun, The Rosario Strings whom performed in the Centrum were excellent, even the production shows were good. We were very disappointed in the entertainment on the Majesty of the Seas in May 2004 and assumed it would be along the same line on this ship, we were wrong, it was much better, and there was a lot MORE to do on this ship.

We had a JS on the 10th floor, where they have added balconies. It was a very roomy cabin and the balcony looked like it had always been there. The decor was very nice and there was lots of storage space. Bathroom had a tub/shower combination, vanity was "faux" marble.

Johnny Rockets was fun, $3.95PP but they do serve the best onion rings I have ever had anywhere!

We booked this cruise for pure relaxation, and it more than fulfilled our wishes, we will certainly sail her again, it is a very nice ship indeed.

Oh-the embarkation took about 10 minutes and the departure was the best we have ever had. Our color was called at 7:45AM and we were off the ship by 8AM, in our car and on the way home by 8:15AM. I was amazed at the ease of getting luggage and going through immigration. Ports of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale could learn a lot from how they do it at Port Canaveral. Just another reason we will definitely cruise out of this port again.

Anyone looking for a short cruise this is it! I saw a few posts a week or so ago on these boards that were wondering whether to take Majesty or Sovereign, I've been on both in the last 8 months and Sovereign wins hands down.

Anyone have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them!!

Thank you so much for your review. I'm sailing in a week on the SOS and am relieved that you enjoyed the ship, hopefully it will be the same for us.

I do have a question, which might seem strange. The $3.95pp JR cover charge... what does this include? If we (DH and I) were going to eat lunch there would we have to pay for our food (no milkshakes) or is it included in the $3.95

$3.95 covers all the food at JR's, but drinks are extra unless you drink water or bring your own. Sodas are $1.50, shakes more. We enjoyed it, the dancing waiters/waitresses were worth the $3.95!

You should have a wonderful time, I just read the new "Official" review on Cruise Critic and it pretty well covered all the new things on the ship. My DH and I were very happy with the cruise! Trying to find a good time to go on her again!! Have fun!

cmwlv, I think the $3.95 is per person and includes food only, as you said no milkshakes.

Thanks for the review! We leave on 2/14 for our first cruise!!! Glad to hear the problems are worked out. Even better to hear that the food has been good (that is all my dh can talk about). We booked a SO because the brochure said it had a tub, but it doesn't! :( Next time we will have to grab up a JS that fits four. Having a balcony will be a nice extra for us!

Gabbie,

We got off this morning as well, but we just got home. 13 hour ride home. I've just started "rocking". This was our first cruise and we had a great time. Our dining room attendants served us well and always had the kids food ready within minutes of us sitting down. Our asst. waiter on the 2nd night asked what we would like to drink and I asked for lemonade. Well evidentally they don't serve that in the dining room. He disappeared for a few minutes and came back with a picture of lemonade and had it available for the rest of the cruise. The head waiter came over each night and just laughed. He looked at my lemonade and said Wow, you really must be special.

The first night was a little rough for us and the waiter brought my kids gingerale as I guess they didn't look too well, but it was smooth sailing after that.

We can't wait to go again.

The Dueling Pianos played at 5PM the first day-Monday, 10PM on Wednesday and 11:30PM on Thursday. They were a lot of fun, actually a grandfather and grandson team!!

Janice- I'm rocking too, hopefully not for too long since we were only on the water for 4 days. Last year after a 10 night cruise I rocked for almost a month!! Then it just disappeared one da

Don't remember the name of the guitar player in Viking lounge, he was okay, not great, but not offensive either. I believe the pool band was "Devilicious".

They had a production show the first and last night, one of the old "Drifters" band members on Tuesday, a comedian on Wednesday.

Hope you have as good a time as we did!

Don't remember the name of the guitar player in Viking lounge, he was okay, not great, but not offensive either. I believe the pool band was "Devilicious".

They had a production show the first and last night, one of the old "Drifters" band members on Tuesday, a comedian on Wednesday.

Hope you have as good a time as we did!

Think you could check on one of your daily Compasses to see if you could find the guitar players name. Please!

Assuming that the guitar player in the Viking Crown Lounge is still the same as the one who was there during the New Year's cruise he is Pete Wickersham.

That is what I'm still hoping, from your old post, I saw his name.

Archived