Blue Kay Questions

Taylor95

• 2 weeks later...

How much did everyone end up spending a blue Kay? Cheaper than an AI?

I waited too long and Maya Chan was booked. Im going in October. And after reading Mitsugirly's review on Blue Kay I'm very interested in it. I followed her posts for my last cruise and did Mullet Bay then walked to Maho and they live dup tp everything she described. So I assume this is a good bet. Just want to make sure it's not gonna be expensive when I go. Im looking for just relaxing drinking and eating day in port. lol

I waited too long and Maya Chan was booked. Im going in October. And after reading Mitsugirly's review on Blue Kay I'm very interested in it. I followed her posts for my last cruise and did Mullet Bay then walked to Maho and they live dup tp everything she described. So I assume this is a good bet. Just want to make sure it's not gonna be expensive when I go. Im looking for just relaxing drinking and eating day in port. lol

Menu photo from Mitsugirly

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44910650&postcount=485

so the prices haven't changed? Sweet!!! That's a good deal. $3 for a drink. I'm in!

I cannot confirm whether prices have changed or not. That photo is over 12 months old but it is the only photo of the menu I have seen. Some more recent visitors may be able to confirm one way or the other.

There was a recent thread, which you may have already seen, where some people felt they were overcharged so you may want to be sure to check with current menu before you order.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2320396

• 2 weeks later...

I would have to go back and look at my review to see how much we actually spent but we were very content with the amount of food and drinks we had all day. I want to say no more than $50??? And that was the 3 of us. I thought it was pretty reasonable.

I thought the food was decent/good and a great value for what we got. I wouldn't hesitate to go back...even if prices were raised or there's a fee to get in. But that's just me. :)

I just went in June and it was still just as cheap. We didn't have to pay $5 just to sit there, but I spent $8 + tip and got a strawberry daiquiri and chips and guacamole.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember checking the exchange rate from my iPad while I was there just to be sure I wasn't being taken advantage of. I paid in U.S. Money and all was as it should have been. We'll be there next Thursday and I'm looking forward to enjoying a quiet day at blue key. We did buy a couple of cheap inflatable pool floats to use as cushions. We will leave them for the next person assuming they hold up for the day. In April we took two beach towels each for some padding and it was fine.

jenf,

sorry to hear about the misled.

thank you for sharing the experience and save a lot of us from similar issue.

happy cruising!

We went to Blue Kay last Thursday and I just wanted to share our experience so it doesn't happen to other people...

We decided to take the open-air tram to Blue Kay since they were right there and we didn't want to walk out to get a cab. They charged $3 per person and said they couldn't make change. Well, ha-ha to them - we happened to have $9 :) They also proceeded to tell us you have to have reservations for Blue Kay. I didn't believe them and we figured we'd just go and see. We waited a little bit for the tram to fill and then drove down to where Blue Kay is. Well they drove right past it. They said they can't make stops anymore for people. So they dropped us at one beach location. They said if we didn't have reservations then we should stay there. It was $10 per person plus tax (our 9-year old was free). So now we're nervous about Blue Kay and we just paid the $22. They set us up at a nice table in the shade and pointed out a couple of things on the beach.

Immediately people started coming over to peddle stuff. It was non-stop for the half hour we sat there. The beach area we had access to was really small and the seaweed was everywhere. There was no snorkeling to speak of. So we decided to bail and walk down to Blue Kay. Yep. Should have done that to start with. The water was better, there actually were some fish, and it was $5 per person and that included a drink!

While we were there we told our story to another couple and the man told us the people at the other beach told them Blue Kay was closed! So there is some kind of deal going on between that beach and the tram people. Just watch out for people lying to you. It cost us $22 and about an hour of wasted time. We really enjoyed Blue Kay and would do it again. Oh and the cab back was only $2 per person. So save yourself the hassle and take a cab both ways!

We were at Blue Key again Thursday last week. I gotta say, this is one of my favorite beaches anywhere. As mentioned, the water is beautiful. It's just such a chilled place. This visit we walked up to the little cantina and had ceviche. The cook came out and talked to us and the ceviche was so good. Plenty of shade to be had and like I mentioned I took $3 inflatable pool floats to use on the wood lounge chairs. This proved to be very successful. We left them for the next person to use.

We were at Blue Key again Thursday last week. I gotta say, this is one of my favorite beaches anywhere. As mentioned, the water is beautiful. It's just such a chilled place. This visit we walked up to the little cantina and had ceviche. The cook came out and talked to us and the ceviche was so good. Plenty of shade to be had and like I mentioned I took $3 inflatable pool floats to use on the wood lounge chairs. This proved to be very successful. We left them for the next person to use.

Awesome to hear things are still good there. I hope to return some day.

We're heading out on the Getaway Oct 2 and I'm still torn after months of research. We are planning on going to Lost Mayan Kingdom (I love water slides and want to try zip lining) but I am such a beach girl and really, really want to go to Blue Kay as well. Decisions, decisions.......guess it's time to start planning a future cruise so we can do both :)

Big thank you to Kim (mitsugirly) and crewsweeper and everyone else for your great information here on CC :D

• 3 weeks later...
We're heading out on the Getaway Oct 2 and I'm still torn after months of research. We are planning on going to Lost Mayan Kingdom (I love water slides and want to try zip lining) but I am such a beach girl and really, really want to go to Blue Kay as well. Decisions, decisions.......guess it's time to start planning a future cruise so we can do both :)

Big thank you to Kim (mitsugirly) and crewsweeper and everyone else for your great information here on CC :D

I hope you had a great time and can't wait to hear where you went. :)

We are grateful for all these reviews and because of the comments/ suggestions in this thread, we are excited to check out Blue Kay on our November Cruise with NCL Pearl.

We'll report back on our experiences....

I hope you have a wonderful time! :)

• 1 month later...

So glad I came across this thread. We went to Costa Maya last December and based on Mitsugirly's review planned on Blue Kay. We rode the tram and at the first stop everyone was getting off and going to the beach club to the right. I asked about Blue Kay specificially and was pointed to a beach club to the left. I didn't feel like I was at the right place, but there was no signage and the folks insisted that was it Blue Kay.

We stayed for an hour or two until we were convinced it wasn't, and then hit several places along the malecon. Never did see Blue Kay. Now it seems like from reading this that we had actually passed it (I was convinced we hadn't gotten to it yet). I now know to take a taxi when we go again in January.

I know taxi drivers and tour operators are notorious for misleading or stealing business, or whatever you want to call it, but I've only found this to be true in Mexico. I was on an eastern and southern caribbean cruise a month ago and was struck by how all the tour operators on those islands really seemed to help each other out - there was a real sense of community. On two different islands, our taxi driver/tour operator gave a ride to what would be a competitor.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

So glad I came across this thread. We went to Costa Maya last December and based on Mitsugirly's review planned on Blue Kay. We rode the tram and at the first stop everyone was getting off and going to the beach club to the right. I asked about Blue Kay specificially and was pointed to a beach club to the left. I didn't feel like I was at the right place, but there was no signage and the folks insisted that was it Blue Kay.

We stayed for an hour or two until we were convinced it wasn't, and then hit several places along the malecon. Never did see Blue Kay. Now it seems like from reading this that we had actually passed it (I was convinced we hadn't gotten to it yet). I now know to take a taxi when we go again in January.

I know taxi drivers and tour operators are notorious for misleading or stealing business, or whatever you want to call it, but I've only found this to be true in Mexico. I was on an eastern and southern caribbean cruise a month ago and was struck by how all the tour operators on those islands really seemed to help each other out - there was a real sense of community. On two different islands, our taxi driver/tour operator gave a ride to what would be a competitor.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Hmm. Please take some time and look at my review with all the pictures. It shows what the place looks like 1) from the road, 2) from the malecon walkway and 3) from the beach.

After reading what you said (thinking you hadn't made it there but then thinking you had passed it) I don't think you could have possibly passed it. It's on the very end (or considered the very first) of all the beach clubs. So if you "passed it", then you would be at a dead end of the malecon and you would have to look left to see the road and you would have a huge lighthouse beside you. There's so much signage that you can't miss it no matter where you are at (road, beach, malecon walkway).

I'm wondering if you were dropped off, stayed at the place they said was Blue Kay, then started walking...in the wrong direction. That's the only way that I think you could have thought you passed it?

Sitting a hammock right now at Blue Kay...

Awesome!!! We took the tram and got off at the first stop at a resort. We had just passed the signs for Blue Kay and walked back a few hundred yards towards lighthouse. So quiet and peaceful. Beach is lovely. Staff super friendly and not pushy. 5 dollars for entrance for the day which included one drink. highly recommend if you want a quiet beach time.

Sitting a hammock right now at Blue Kay...

Awesome!!! We took the tram and got off at the first stop at a resort. We had just passed the signs for Blue Kay and walked back a few hundred yards towards lighthouse. So quiet and peaceful. Beach is lovely. Staff super friendly and not pushy. 5 dollars for entrance for the day which included one drink. highly recommend if you want a quiet beach time.

So jealous. I'm glad you are having a good time. :)

My party is still debating where to go. Thinking just for the freedom to change up location if we get bored it'll either be Yaya's or Blue Kay instead of Maya Chan.

The wooden loungers are really the only negative I see to Blue Kay. Tho a really easy fix for that is those nice roll up beach mats you can buy (got one for like $15 at Ross), its padded and comes with a pillow!

Also that their site doesn't put the fees in US, so confusing.. just concerned about that, plus that another reviewer mentioned they changed prices up on them (charged more than it should have been)? Anyone else had this issue? Anyone happen to have a photo of the US price menu or an easy way to know what prices are if reading the Mexican one?

My party is still debating where to go. Thinking just for the freedom to change up location if we get bored it'll either be Yaya's or Blue Kay instead of Maya Chan.

The wooden loungers are really the only negative I see to Blue Kay. Tho a really easy fix for that is those nice roll up beach mats you can buy (got one for like $15 at Ross), its padded and comes with a pillow!

Also that their site doesn't put the fees in US, so confusing.. just concerned about that, plus that another reviewer mentioned they changed prices up on them (charged more than it should have been)? Anyone else had this issue? Anyone happen to have a photo of the US price menu or an easy way to know what prices are if reading the Mexican one?

Do you plan on buying a package? Or just doing a la carte? If you just show up and pay as you go, you'll just pay $5 pp and this will include a drink in return. Then you can just buy food and drinks as you go.

If you are looking to do a package, just convert the $$. For instance their day pass says $350 MXN, which includes all they have to offer activities. So if you convert this, $350 MXN= $16.86 US...or probably somewhere around there. The Beach break says it's $420 MXN= $20.76, but this package includes drinks for 4 hours and a snack. I'm really not sure this amount sounds right. I believe when I went they were charging around $30-40 for the packages (included bikes, kayaks, snorkeling and so on).

You can always just send them a message asking the pricing in US and they return your email. That's what I did and didn't have any problems communicating with them and they answered fairly quickly. :)