Costa Maya is a great stop!

Cruisermom2nick

I just posted about this super port in my blog- please check it out!

http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/cool-costa-maya-ideas-and-excursions.html

I did the Chacchoben tour through Native Choice last fall. I highly recommend them, as it was an excellent tour, well organized, and they looked after the group very well.

Just checked it looks like the water park cost is $89 USD not $55. Pretty prict but maybe an option for us if they will give me a cheaper price at the door.

I asked about admission prices (reserving online vs. buying tickets at the gate) on their FB page and got this reply from them:

"The price is the same! The admission rate is 89 usd and 79 usd minors and includes unlimited access to all attractions. We have an elevator so you can ride your favorite attractions over and over."

We will probably bite the bullet and still go even though the price is nearing or even higher than Orlando water parks only because we want to try zip lining and we wouldn't have to shell out $$ for a separate excursion

I messaged someone who reviewed the park. They were able to get a cheaper rate and free lockers at the gate. Granted only 1 ship was in port so that may have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I messaged someone who reviewed the park. They were able to get a cheaper rate and free lockers at the gate. Granted only 1 ship was in port so that may have helped.

Thanks for the info! We will be the only ship in port when we visit in October, so wonder if we can negotiate? We can certainly ask and all they can do is say no :D

http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/cool-costa-maya-ideas-and-excursions.html

Thanks for all the info. How big a place is Costa Maya and Mahuhual? Is it walkable? We just want to poke around a little, but not stay in the port area itself. We'd love to see real life, not just tourist spots.

Thanks for all the info. How big a place is Costa Maya and Mahuhual? Is it walkable? We just want to poke around a little, but not stay in the port area itself. We'd love to see real life, not just tourist spots.

The port area of Costa Maya is def. walkable- you will need to take a short cab ride to Mahuhual though as that is too far to walk in the heat! :)

The port area of Costa Maya is def. walkable- you will need to take a short cab ride to Mahuhual though as that is too far to walk in the heat! :)

Great, thanks. First time there and really looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took a tour to the Kohunlich Mayan Ruins while we were there. Fascinating! I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins Excursion

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading your blog.

Great ruins tour idea- I will try this one when we visit Costa Maya next March! :) Thanks for the blog compliment too! :)

Cruisermom2nick, this is totally unrelated, but I was trying to gather more information on the Getaway Cabin 8710, and I believe I read in another thread that you had this cabin sometime earlier this year. If I am correct, how did you like the cabin and would you book it again? Thanks so much in advance for any info you can provide. If I am wrong, sorry for the threadjack.:)

• 2 weeks later...

How much walking is involved with the city tour? I have some mobility issues and can only walk short distances. Will have a scooter on board but most tours can not accommodate a scooter. Thanks for the post. The blog post was helpful.

How much walking is involved with the city tour? I have some mobility issues and can only walk short distances. Will have a scooter on board but most tours can not accommodate a scooter. Thanks for the post. The blog post was helpful.

Glad my info helped! :) There is very little walking and I do recall scooters being put on the tour trams.

• 1 month later...

I have been under the impression that Costa Maya wasn't a safe area. Witnessing armed military patrol the area scares me. Also our first experience to this port we did an excursion to one of the ruins. Had to go through a military checkpoint and the bus also had an armed guard traveling with us.

Ever since then I have been afraid to leave the immediate port area. Would love to see more of Costa Maya if it is safe to travel around.

If you want a GREAT zip line experience I recommend zip lining in Roatan. There is a place called extremely extreme zip lining. My family absolutely loved it!!!!!!! [/s

I asked about admission prices (reserving online vs. buying tickets at the gate) on their FB page and got this reply from them:

T

"The price is the same! The admission rate is 89 usd and 79 usd minors and includes unlimited access to all attractions. We have an elevator so you can ride your favorite attractions over and over."

We will probably bite the bullet and still go even though the price is nearing or even higher than Orlando water parks only because we want to try zip lining and we wouldn't have to shell out $$ for a separate excursion

• 2 weeks later...
We took a tour to the Kohunlich Mayan Ruins while we were there. Fascinating! I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity.

Kohunlich Mayan Ruins Excursion

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading your blog.

I love your posts and pictures.

If you had to pick one of the ruins to visit (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay) which one would it be?

I love your posts and pictures.

If you had to pick one of the ruins to visit (Costa Maya, Cozumel, Belize, Mahogany Bay) which one would it be?

Just my opine, but Mahogany Bay/Roatan has no Maya ruins, wasn't even close to Maya territory and Mayans generally avoided the ocean. There is a smaller set of ruins on Cozumel called San Gervasio. It was part of a trading post. Butt he ruins closest to Cozumel are on the mainland. There are 3 reasonable close good sets of ruins in Belize--Altun Ha, closest to port, Xunantunich, a long bus ride, and Lamanai, the least excavated and furthest away, full day trip. In Costa Maya, though, if you book with Native Choice, you will get a very good tour to one of two or three sets of Yucatan Maya ruins and a really good immersion into Maya culture from the guides.