Mal de Debarquement + long flight

Jem5755

Has anyone who has experienced MDD after a cruise noticed if its worse after a long flight? I've had this after every cruise, usually for about a week. Mostly vertigo. The one time I had a short flight (~2.5 hours) it lasted for 2 weeks, but it was also a very turbulent flight. I'm going on a 10 day European cruise with a 9 hour flight. I'm a little worried that the extended flight might make it worse when I return. (we're not staying any extra days, flying the same days of the cruise). On this cruise we only have 2 full days at sea, once in the beginning and once near the end. I'm hoping that will help as well.

I have read here to take seasick medicine after you get off the ship even though you are on land. If you took it on the ship, continue to do so when cruise is over.

Any one else heard this?????????

My husband had it real bad once and a doctor told him to take meclazine (Bonine). I've had it several times and it usually goes away in a couple days. I can't say if the long flight makes it worse or not, I don't think so.

After our first cruise, it took me 2 weeks to get my land legs back. It was horrible the first week. We were rolling pretty good on that cruise.

Our second cruise we hardly felt any motion, and I wasn't quite as bad after that one, within a week I was back to normal, and symptoms weren't as severe as the first one.

I don't think it has anything to do with the flying. Somone recommended to start taking Bonine a few days prior to getting on the ship and continuing it a few days after. I tried it for our 2nd cruise, but I didn't like how it made me feel, but I get side effects from anything I try taking. You can buy Bonine at Walmart, it's not too expensive.

Archived