rocking sensation after the cruise

CheshireCat

I will be going on my 6th cruise in June. On each of the other cruises, I have felt fine while on the ship, but once I get home, I "still feel like I am on the ship", and have an annoying rocking sensation for several weeks afterwards. Does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

I have this sensation still,its been quite a while since I did an 11 dayer. I read somewhere it was called demare or something like that.They suggest sea-sick medication. I have put off taking anything hopeing it will pass. Have reached end of tether and going to Docs tommorow,so maybe I will know more then.I will have a look for the thread on it,was probably in Royal Caribean or Princess! Doesn't it drive you mad. I find if you move direction too quick,or get up.:(

It happens to me after every cruise. I just go to the drug store and pick up Bonine(sea sickness tablet) and it works just fine. You are not alone in this.

Marilyn

I dunno if i'm weird or sumthing but i love that swaying sensation after u get off the boat...it just reminds me of happy times we had on the boat. It also is so much fun to just be standing and not able to control swaying back and forth! hehe so sorry not much help on getting rid of it i wish it lasted longer! lol or i'll stick with the answer above me and lol just stay on the ship!!!:D Anybody on Valor or on a spa deck cabin before let me know how it is cuz i'm goign there Jan 8th and i'm on the spa deck so help out if u know!!!

Hope everyoen has a safe sail whenever they may go again....especailly on the "FUN SHIPS" .....for those of u who dont know CARNIVAL!!!!! lol

Went to the docs today about this and he said it was benign positional vertigo,and gave me an exercise which will hopefully fix it in a week if not,take stemetil (a form of seasick tablet) The exercise is to sit on edge of bed look to left,wait a moment then quickly lay to the RIGHT making sure back of head is on bed.Lay for a while,then sit up and look to right,then lay to LEFT. Do 5 times each side 3 times a day. Hope this works for me!

The best remedy is to just stay on the ship :p

If only we all could ..........

Yeah, I tried that too, but when they threatened to call out the National Guard if I didn't let go of the railing and leave the ship.....

Funny thing, I get the rocking sensation for a couple of days after a short (3-4 day) cruise, but not after a 7-day cruise. Go figure....

Went to the docs today about this and he said it was benign positional vertigo,and gave me an exercise which will hopefully fix it in a week if not,take stemetil (a form of seasick tablet) The exercise is to sit on edge of bed look to left,wait a moment then quickly lay to the RIGHT making sure back of head is on bed.Lay for a while,then sit up and look to right,then lay to LEFT. Do 5 times each side 3 times a day. Hope this works for me!

Did the doc say this was caused by cruising? I was on a 7-day in November and had benign positional vertigo in January...I sometimes wondered if this was cruise related. I to have the rocking sensation after the cruise but it last for a short time and usually happens in the shower. Never bothered me and it was gone by the time I got the vertigo. Thanks for posting this...

Yes the cruise caused it,I was fine before I sailed. I have only started doing the exercise today so I will give it a few days before I buy the sea sickness tablets.I don't have any nausea,just the floor on a tilt.The doctor had me stand with my feet together and eyes closed and all of a sudden I fell backwards (he was there to catch me) He said that is the classic sign. I did try to get him to write a script to tell my husband that another cruise would fix it !!!!

Hmmm... I have had vertigo on and off for a couple of years. No idea why. Could be something to do with anxiety (yuck). Maybe I'll get lucky and my first cruise (June) will set things back right and cure the problem;) !

I also suffer from the rocking sensation - it took over 3 weeks to go away after our last trans. It is so bad that I pray for windstorms while I am at work on the 30th floor just so that the building would sway. As others are noticing the building movement and feeling it, I am enjoying it and feeling better.

It's a well-known phenomenon related to "getting your sea legs". Normally that means that your legs get used to absorbing the gentle rocking of the ship, and you stop being consciously aware of it. However, when you go back on shore you get the opposite - your legs are waiting for rocking that doesn't come, and they get upset and tell your mind.

LOL - I think the doc is just giving you something to do to take your mind off it :p

Glad to know I'm not the only one swaying......11 days off the boat and still swaying (though not as bad as the first week!)

I don't wish the vertigo on anyone...I would almost take a rocky day at sea! :D I ended up at the emergency room...my vertigo hit me in the middle of the night...ended up taking Meclazine for it! Couldn't drive for about 4 days because the driving would set the vertigo off...realized when I turned my head to look left the vertigo would hit. I don't know what is worse naseau from a rocky day at sea or the vertigo!:D

What are the symptoms of Ménière's disease?

During an attack, people with Ménière's disease experience:

• Low-pitched roaring, ringing, or hissing in the ear (tinnitus).
  • Hearing loss, which may be temporary or permanent.
  • Vertigo, which is the feeling that the person or the surroundings are spinning or whirling when there is no such actual motion.
  • Often, a feeling of pressure or fullness in the ear.

• It took me over a month to feel good, I tried medication, but that made me feel sick, time is the answer

if (document.all) { window.onload=HWResize; window.onresize=HWResize;}

What are the symptoms of Ménière's disease?

During an attack, people with Ménière's disease experience:

• Low-pitched roaring, ringing, or hissing in the ear (tinnitus).
  • Hearing loss, which may be temporary or permanent.
  • Vertigo, which is the feeling that the person or the surroundings are spinning or whirling when there is no such actual motion.
  • Often, a feeling of pressure or fullness in the ear.
  • It took me over a month to feel good, I tried medication, but that made me feel sick, time is the answer

if (document.all) { window.onload=HWResize; window.onresize=HWResize;}

I am glad that I had the benign positional vertigo...don't think I could have stood the "roaring, ringing or hissing in the ear"! I just had the vertigo part and the Meclazine helped (put me to sleep):eek: .

How amazing. I was actually looking through the topics to see if there was a thread about this. I "rock along with the boat" for weeks after I get off and wondered how common the problem was. The sensation seems to get worse after each cruise. (It's not going to stop me from cruising though!) It's always amazed me because I've never come close to feeling seasick. Also, I don't notice any sensation when I'm in a port.

The sensation is actually called mal de debarquement. You can do an internet search and come up with all sorts of information. Apparently, women between 40 and 50 who have cruised for 7 days are the most common sufferers. As one poster suggested, the cause is that the brain becomes accustomed to the new input from the motion on the ship. When this stops, the change produces the same symptoms as are produced when one goes to sea. I noticed that it was said that once you've experienced mal de debarquement, it is likely to recur if you cruise again. My first cruise was a 7 day one at age 48, so I completely fit the profile.

The articles seem to suggest that the usual seasickness remedies have little effect. They do suggest that it might be possible to prevent a reoccurrence by taking Valium or Ativan precruise or by using a transderm patch.

It's good, in a way, to know I'm not alone, but I wish I was. I hate to think that my fellow posters here go through this too.

How amazing. I was actually looking through the topics to see if there was a thread about this. I "rock along with the boat" for weeks after I get off and wondered how common the problem was. The sensation seems to get worse after each cruise. (It's not going to stop me from cruising though!) It's always amazed me because I've never come close to feeling seasick. Also, I don't notice any sensation when I'm in a port.

The sensation is actually called mal de debarquement. You can do an internet search and come up with all sorts of information. Apparently, women between 40 and 50 who have cruised for 7 days are the most common sufferers. As one poster suggested, the cause is that the brain becomes accustomed to the new input from the motion on the ship. When this stops, the change produces the same symptoms as are produced when one goes to sea. I noticed that it was said that once you've experienced mal de debarquement, it is likely to recur if you cruise again. My first cruise was a 7 day one at age 48, so I completely fit the profile.

The articles seem to suggest that the usual seasickness remedies have little effect. They do suggest that it might be possible to prevent a reoccurrence by taking Valium or Ativan precruise or by using a transderm patch.

It's good, in a way, to know I'm not alone, but I wish I was. I hate to think that my fellow posters here go through this too.

Vicki:

Thanks for the additional input...I was actually given Valium by my primary care doctor when the vertigo got worse and the Meclazine did not work. I will make sure to remember this in November. We were orginally booked for October 2nd but changed due to availability of cabins!

I see you have an aft cabin booked for November. That would be a very good reason to switch sailing dates! We're in a JS on 10/2. Had one on our honeymoon cruise in February of 2004 and we can't wait to get back on board.

I may still be swaying when you're pulling out. I hate taking pills - I am the type that takes two aspirin and is out like a light, but I know I'm going to have to do something this next time. I was so dizzy last September that I missed a couple of days of work. Couldn't help it. The halls here at the office were moving and I felt like I needed to hold on to get from place to place. One of the guys here told me about the "land sickness" syndrome after he saw me trying to get from place to place.

My wife has had vertigo for some time now. It comes and goes, but when we were on the ship it was not too bad. She thought that the ships movement would trigger it. From all the good info in here it would seem her vertifo is caused by something very different and the ship has little effect.

Thanks for all the info.:)

I've also experienced this, the worst was after our most recent cruise last year. Where the other cruises I was feeling normal after a couple days, the last time it took about a week. I'm wondering how long it'll take after our upcoming cruise, but I'll try that exercise one poster suggested.

I don't mind it so much, but I've read that the feeling can become permanent - although I don't know if it's a case of one too many cruises that causes that. Anyone know about this as a permanant condition caused by excessive (is there such a thing?) cruising?

Yeah, I tried that too, but when they threatened to call out the National Guard if I didn't let go of the railing and leave the ship.....

Funny thing, I get the rocking sensation for a couple of days after a short (3-4 day) cruise, but not after a 7-day cruise. Go figure....

That is so funny, Granny!! We had an 11 day trip this year, where we had several rough days at sea, and I barely felt myself rocking at all, after getting off, when on shorter trips, I've rocked for days!! I felt kind of sad:cool: , since that rocking feeling makes you keep remembering all the fun you've just had! I always look around, when I feel that way and I'm in public, to see if anyone else notices! Then, I just have a private laugh! Either way, pehaps people think something is wrong!!;) Oh, well.

Archived