Anchorage for a day with no car

cutetrill

We're staying at the Super 8 anchorage hotel and will not be getting a rental car as this hotel has a free shuttle back and forth from the airport. But we have a full day in anchorage before we have to hop on our transfer and get to the ship. Is there anything to do within walking distance from either the hotel or the airport? We're a young healthy couple so you don't have to take that into consideration.

No, there’s not much in that area and most of the stuff mentioned in this thread is about 3 miles away in downtown. Actually, you’re about ½ way between the airport and downtown. The hotel has the airport shuttle and can, if available, take you downtown but there’s no guarantee. A cab would be about $15+ each way from the hotel to downtown. There are a few casual restaurants within ¼ mile of the hotel. Have to imagine you got a decent rate at this property but the trade out is the location.

Yeah, renting a car isn't going to happen. lol I looked quickly at the people mover stuff. I'm all for public transport. Is it hard to navigate? I'm used to subways not buses.

And yes, we got a good rate for the hotel, and that is why we're staying there. We want to spend our money on the cruise and excursions, not a hotel.

I will second the need for a car. We had a downtown hotel 9th Ave [or street--I forget] and spent some time walking around. But, we used our car to got to the park by the Oscar Anderson House [access to Tony Knowes trail] and the Ulu factory along the creek. Distances were just too far and up some steep inclines.

There are tours from the Visitor Center. They were 1.5 hours and cost $15 when we were there last summer.

If downtown Anchorage is your priority, taking the city bus is your best option. But I'm with the others, rent a car for the day; there are so many wonderful sights and activities within 30 minutes of Anchorage, or 2 hrs if you want a full day's adventure! A list of scenic drives from Anchorage: http://alaska.org/driving/classic-day-drives.htm

This is the website for the Anchorage Muni bus, People Mover. You can catch bus #7 just a block or two from the hotel that will take you to the transient center downtown. Looks like the most direct route.

http://www.muni.org/departments/transit/peoplemover/Pages/default.aspx

Yeah, that sounds like the best option for us. I enjoy a nice museum, and I'll be seeing enough scenery along the Alaskan coast that it's okay to stay downtown. Thanks for the help, guys.

Yeah, that sounds like the best option for us. I enjoy a nice museum, and I'll be seeing enough scenery along the Alaskan coast that it's okay to stay downtown. Thanks for the help, guys.

Since you like museums, and ours is very nice, you also might enjoy the Alaska Public Lands Information Center.

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/anchorage-things-to-do.cfm

Since you like museums, and ours is very nice, you also might enjoy the Alaska Public Lands Information Center.

http://www.alaskacenters.gov/anchorage-things-to-do.cfm

Hi Glaciers, I have a question for your since you are in Anchorage. We will be flying into Anchorage in March on a Friday (8th) then taking the Winter train up to Fairbanks the next morning (Saturday) we want to spend 3 days in Fairbanks then head back down to Anchorage for a few days. My question is...what are the driving conditions usually like between Fairbanks & Anchorage mid March. We live in South Ms and hardly ever get snow so we definately dont want to be driving on a snowy highway. Would you recommend just taking a flight back down to Anchorage from Fairbanks? According to google maps it is about a 7 hour drive. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Glaciers, I have a question for your since you are in Anchorage. We will be flying into Anchorage in March on a Friday (8th) then taking the Winter train up to Fairbanks the next morning (Saturday) we want to spend 3 days in Fairbanks then head back down to Anchorage for a few days. My question is...what are the driving conditions usually like between Fairbanks & Anchorage mid March. We live in South Ms and hardly ever get snow so we definately dont want to be driving on a snowy highway. Would you recommend just taking a flight back down to Anchorage from Fairbanks? According to google maps it is about a 7 hour drive. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

While I am not "Glaciers," I live in Fairbanks and I hope you don't mind if I offer my ideas.

I wish I could tell you with any certainty what the driving conditions between Fairbanks and Anchorage will be in mid-March. I can only say that we are having a very interesting winter in the Interior this year. Fairbanks VERY RARELY EVER closes schools, but the public schools have closed for two days this year -- the first time in December due to a very heavy snow fall (the Fairbanks climate is described as an arctic desert, and Fairbanks generally doesn't receive much snow) and then in January due to rain, which created extremely icy roads (despite the fact that Fairbanks has been in the -40s F the last few nights the roads as I type this are still very icy in many spots). Earlier this week the Richardson Hwy. (from Fairbanks to Valdez) was closed due to heavy snow, and while the Parks Hwy. (from Fairbanks to Anchorage) was open the conditions around Healy were reported as wicked at best. Many winters a drive from Fairbanks to Anchorage could be either a drive on essentially dry ice-free pavement or a range of conditions including drizzle, sleet or snow. You just never know, but this winter it really could be an adventure.

In mid-March there will be services available for drivers at Nenana, Healy and Cantwell, in addition to those available south of the Alaska Range such as Willow and Talkeetna. The seasonal businesses will be closed. For example, there will be no services available at the businesses in the "Glitter Gulch" area outside of Denali National Park. Due to mountain ranges and so forth cell coverage is spotty.

Would I be correct to assume that you would be driving a rental car from Fairbanks to Anchorage? I would suggest just flying from Fairbanks to Anchorage. And in all honesty, my husband and I generally celebrate his birthday dinner at Orso in Anchorage, and never drive (His birthday is February 4th, and since he is having oral surgery on February 1st that ritual won't be happening this year, so we will be celebrating in Seattle on March 1st instead.). We always fly.

And now, I just have to ask -- what brings you to Fairbanks in the winter?

Northern Aurora’s information is spot on. The roads may be ice free although we can always get a big dump of snow in March. On March 17, 2002 we got over 2 feet in 24 hours. The road was a mess. The furthest north we drive in the winter is to Talkeetna and never after a snow fall. It would be a beautiful winter drive if it was exceptionally sunny although that’s generally not the case. I’d fly. If you get a chance go to the World Ice Art Championships that are going on through the end of March. Really amazing stuff.

While I am not "Glaciers," I live in Fairbanks and I hope you don't mind if I offer my ideas.

And now, I just have to ask -- what brings you to Fairbanks in the winter?

Thank you for answering. We will definately fly back down to Anchorage. I dont want to take any chances. The reason we are wanting to come to Fairbanks is because I have heard the winter train from Anchorage to Fairbanks is a great trip for site seeing. Also we wanted to see the ice sculptures. We are hoping to see the northern lights. Also the Limited North American Championships (LNAC) dog races are March 8-10 so we were thinking about going to that on the 10th since we would be coming in on the Saturday train on the 9th. Maybe go up to the Chena Hot Springs resort. Just a few ideas. Should we not visit Fairbanks in March? Please give an honest answer. We may have to rethink what we are going to do.

Thank you for answering. We will definately fly back down to Anchorage. I dont want to take any chances. The reason we are wanting to come to Fairbanks is because I have heard the winter train from Anchorage to Fairbanks is a great trip for site seeing. Also we wanted to see the ice sculptures. We are hoping to see the northern lights. Also the Limited North American Championships (LNAC) dog races are March 8-10 so we were thinking about going to that on the 10th since we would be coming in on the Saturday train on the 9th. Maybe go up to the Chena Hot Springs resort. Just a few ideas. Should we not visit Fairbanks in March? Please give an honest answer. We may have to rethink what we are going to do.

Fairbanks has a significant number of winter tourists. Last Thursday my husband and I were at lunch at one of our local Thai restaurants and there were a group of five tourists enjoying the fact that they were dining at a Thai restaurant in Fairbanks, Alaska. We were at the Princess Lodge on Friday night for a function, and the tour desk was mobbed by tourists from Japan checking with their tour director (all of the signs were in Japanese). Japan Airlines actually does charter flights to Fairbanks in the winter. On Monday night my husband and I went to dinner at a local Japanese steakhouse; since we were on our own we were seated at one of the large grills with two other couples, and one couple was visiting from Phoenix. Tuesday I was out to lunch at a restaurant at a local hotel, and while entering encountered the hotel shuttle loading tourists to take them to the airport. So you certainly will not be the only visitor in Fairbanks when you visit in March. I was just curious as to what you were doing in Fairbanks since the short length of time implied that you were not doing one of the remote backcountry winter camping trips (either by snowmachine or dog team) in the White Mountains.

March in Fairbanks is a great time to come. While we could reach -30F we probably will not. For example, we had some snow earlier this morning, but it is now clear and sunny. The highs today will be in the +10s, with highs tomorrow forecast to be in the +20s. Be sure to bring your sunglasses since it will be bright as the sun reflects off the snow.

March in Fairbanks is a great time to come. While we could reach -30F we probably will not. For example, we had some snow earlier this morning, but it is now clear and sunny. The highs today will be in the +10s, with highs tomorrow forecast to be in the +20s. Be sure to bring your sunglasses since it will be bright as the sun reflects off the snow.

I was reading somewhere that last year it got into the 40's in March and the ice sculptures were starting to melt. I'm beginning to second guess my decision to come in March but if we dont come in March then our next opportunity wont be until June.

Archived