What private tours actually go up to and explore the fort?

whataboutport

I don't want to just take pics from the bottom. I've contacted both Claudia and Dora's companies and neither will go up the fort. I saw an excursion thru X that says it explores the fort and goes to Old Town for $59 and 4.5 hrs approx. I read on FRMPEI's trip report that he did this tour and they do in fact explore inside the fort.

If I don't find a private tour company that does what I am looking for, I will book the ship's tour, but usually like to not do a ship's tour whenever possible. Any recs?

I also read Caribbeanbound's report of going to the fort, and seems pricewise is about the same to do it all on our own, which I would rather not, as I've never been to Cartegena before.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On X there was a tour of the fort on my cruise. I talked to people who took it and it is very strenuous. They said they never sweated so much in their lives! They were pleased with their tour. I took a different tour through X and it was excellent as well. The pricing for the tours X offered in this port were the same or cheaper than private companies. Old town is quite nice as well. You could do it on your own with taxis and a guide you engage at the port but from posts I have read you need to make sure you get a guide with good English. The guide in Cartagena on the X excursion was great with superb English and he was very knowledgeable. I would not hesitate to book that port with X. On a cruise I often do private excursions but do mix it up with cruise line offerings and I find the guides are usually good to great with the cruise line (I had 1 problem in Grand Cayman).

I don't want to just take pics from the bottom. I've contacted both Claudia and Dora's companies and neither will go up the fort. I saw an excursion thru X that says it explores the fort and goes to Old Town for $59 and 4.5 hrs approx. I read on FRMPEI's trip report that he did this tour and they do in fact explore inside the fort.

If I don't find a private tour company that does what I am looking for, I will book the ship's tour, but usually like to not do a ship's tour whenever possible. Any recs?

I also read Caribbeanbound's report of going to the fort, and seems pricewise is about the same to do it all on our own, which I would rather not, as I've never been to Cartegena before.

Edited by Jen1000

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

My guide took us up to San Felipe, he charges a little bit more but the fact is that he does not work with huge groups, i think it is a matter of finding the right person to show you around and someone who would make you have a nice time at port of call.

I found mine on TA also: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g297476-d4154451-Reviews-Cartagena_Tour_Guide-Cartagena_Cartagena_District_Bolivar_Department.html

Or check his web page: http://www.cartagenatourguide.com, his name is Martin, really nice guy.

:)