Hello again

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:10 PM.
Gold Coast
9,692 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Saga Ruby

I read Conte's article and can identify with the comment of “the leaseholders struggled to make enough money to pay operations and keep up maintenance.” At my own home, it's a horse race between the aging house and the aging owner. Sometimes I feel that all I do is hold open the front door for the next technician.
It's an imperfect world.
Ruby
Oh how I relate to your comment re ageing house and owner, Ruby!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Princess - Ocean Princess - 2012 - Singapore to Sydney
Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.
Celebrity Century - 2011 - Auckland to Sydney

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
MSC - Lirica - 2008 - Genoa, Italy to Fort Lauderdale
Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas - 2007 - Honolulu to Sydney
Rivers of Holland Cruise - 2003 - to Amsterdam
Alaskan Marine Highway - 2003 - to most Alaskan ports of call
Star Cruises - Superstar Leo - 2003 - Sydney to Darwin
Norwegian Coastal Voyage - Naruik - 2002 - Bergen to Kirkenes
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
West Country, UK
4,235 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Well, unbelievably I am home! Where did the time go?? It was an absolutely amazing trip. I have some 8000 photos and have seen wonderful wildlife in its natural habitat - from crocodiles in Panama to Howler Monkeys in Colombia. In Guatemala I went to La Antigua - the old capital in the mountains until it was destroyed in an earthquake.
I have mountains of mail and emails to work trough, not to mention four cases to unpack but will be back in the saddle as soon as I can.
Hope everyone is well.
Bye for now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:
https://photos.google.com/albums
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharonsshiptravels/
Blog: http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas. Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II, Marco Polo

To come:-
Adonia Round Britain 2017

Saga Sapphire Xmas Markets 2017
Aurora circumnavigation of South America 2018
Arcadia - USA & Canada Sept 2018

>
2,508 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Welcome back, Sharon! Your world cruise was certainly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and I'm pleased that you were excited and awed by all the sights along the route. Now that you're home, try to relax and catch up on all the correspondence and unpacking of suitcases. We look forward to seeing your photographs.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed itineraries (64): Alaska (30), Mexican Riviera (16), Caribbean (7), Hawaii (4), Panama Canal (3), Pacific Northwest (2), New England/Canada (1), Transatlantic (1)

Cruise lines (64): Celebrity (36), Holland America (11), Royal Caribbean (7), NCL (3), Carnival (2), Princess (2), other (3)

Next Infinity 2017 September 10 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 June 3 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 August 5 (Alaska).
Gold Coast
9,692 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Welcome back, Sharon. Nice time of year to arrive home. Pleased to hear that you enjoyed an absolutely amazing cruise. I enjoyed following your WC.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion
Hurtigruten - Fram - 2014 - Ushuaia to Antarctica, via Falkland Islands and South Georgia Islands.
Princess - Ocean Princess - 2013 - Dover to Iceland and Norway, via Shetland and Faroe Islands.

Fred Olsen Black Watch - 2012 - The Baltic, with Norway. Dover to St. Petersburg, via Kiel Canal.

CTMA Vacancier - 2011 - Montreal to Magdalen Islands. Amtrak - Toronto to New York
MSC - Poesia - 2010 - Kiel, Germany to NY. Amtrak NY to Niagara Falls, VIA Rail Toronto to Vancouver
Angelina Lauro - 1971 - Sydney to Perth. Indian Pacific - Perth to Sydney (Put me off cruising for 30 years!)

P & O - Chusan - 1970 - London to Brisbane, via Africa, India and Sri Lanka (Suez closed).
Chandris Lines - Queen Frederica - 1969 - Sydney to London, via Panama, New York and Rotterdam
Irving TX
2,008 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Welcome home, Sharon. It seems like the blink of an eye since you stepped up that gangway. It may take some time to decompress from such an exciting adventure. I always dreaded dealing with the piles of dirty laundry.

When time has passed, I'm gonna ask you the same query everyone asks me - where are you traveling next? Wa-hahaha!

We all enjoyed so much watching your progress around the globe. Thanks for sharing.

Ruby
Gold Coast
9,692 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Today is ANZAC Day in Australia. I usually attend a dawn service, but today I'm watching on TV a moving dawn service from Anzac Square in Brisbane. Services will be shown all day from throughout Australia, France and Turkey.

We will remember them. Lest we forget.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

2,508 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Marion, I have read about the Gallipoli campaign, and ANZAC Day is deservedly held in the memory of those who lost their lives there.

Ruby, from my latest copy of Sea Lines I learned that the cruise ship Saga Ruby went to the breakers under the name of Oasia. She had spent three years of inactivity off the coast of Thailand.

Donald.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Completed itineraries (64): Alaska (30), Mexican Riviera (16), Caribbean (7), Hawaii (4), Panama Canal (3), Pacific Northwest (2), New England/Canada (1), Transatlantic (1)

Cruise lines (64): Celebrity (36), Holland America (11), Royal Caribbean (7), NCL (3), Carnival (2), Princess (2), other (3)

Next Infinity 2017 September 10 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 June 3 (Alaska); Infinity 2018 August 5 (Alaska).
Gold Coast
9,692 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by Kapricorn
Marion, I have read about the Gallipoli campaign, and ANZAC Day is deservedly held in the memory of those who lost their lives there.

Donald.
Donald, Yes ANZAC Day originally commemorated Australia's defeat and loss of life at Gallipoli, however now commemorates the sacrifice of Australians and New Zealanders who served in all wars. A special joint Australian and New Zealand dawn service is held at Gallipoli on ANZAC Day each year.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

West Country, UK
4,235 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Having sailed the Dardanelles I always think of those doomed young men of Gallipoli.

Still unpacking (Had to go back to work Monday!) but hopefully a few photos soon. Next cruise? Scotland and Ireland in July!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:
Vistafjord, Caronia, QE2, Queen Mary 2, Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth Maiden Voyage, Aurora, Arcadia, Oriana, Oceana, Artemis, Ventura, Balmoral, Braemar, Adonia, Discovery, Royal Princess (2013 ship), Nautica, MV Funchal, Zaandam, Saga Pearl, Anthem of the Seas, Norwegian Escape, Harmony of the Seas. Also Rhine and Dutch river cruises

Ships visited:
Independence of the Seas, Azura, Artania, Prinsendam, Maasdam, Crystal Symphony, Saga Sapphire, Saga Pearl II, Marco Polo

>
Irving TX
2,008 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Host Sharon
Still unpacking (Had to go back to work Monday!) but hopefully a few photos soon. Next cruise? Scotland and Ireland in July!
Sharon - you are a sailing fool! I admire you being able to do the WC, get home at Easter, then off to northern climes in July. Wow!

The Dardenelles - I'm trying to remember something. When I sailed thru the Bosphorous, we passed a standalone monument on the west side of the passage. I have it in my mind that it was a place dedicated to the ANZAC battle/war. Does anybody else know the place I'm talkng about?

Donald - Thanks for the info on Saga Ruby. I wonder why she was floating in place for 3 yrs. off the Thai coast? I'm sad that both of The Sisters, Sagafjord and Vistafjord, are gone to the breakers. They were wonderful ships.

Ruby
Gold Coast
9,692 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Having sailed the Dardanelles I always think of those doomed young men of Gallipoli.

Can't help you with Dardanelles monument, Ruby, as I haven't cruised in that region (just land tour). I like how the cruise lines keep up the tradition of commemorating those young men who lost their lives there.

Must have been hard to go back to work on Monday, Sharon. I have this belief that the magic of the trip should last afterwards as long as the trip. So you have a lot of magic still to experience!

Nice that you have a cruise to Scotland and Ireland in July to look forward to. Which ship and ports of call, when you have free time?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

West Country, UK
4,235 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by MMDown Under
Can't help you with Dardanelles monument, Ruby, as I haven't cruised in that region (just land tour). I like how the cruise lines keep up the tradition of commemorating those young men who lost their lives there.

Must have been hard to go back to work on Monday, Sharon. I have this belief that the magic of the trip should last afterwards as long as the trip. So you have a lot of magic still to experience!

Nice that you have a cruise to Scotland and Ireland in July to look forward to. Which ship and ports of call, when you have free time?

I remember it - there are 2 in fact - one to the Turks and one to the Allies. The Turkish one is a square arch I think, and the one for the allies a pillar.

Adonia - Killybegs, Portree, Belfast, Dublin, Guernsey, Liverpool, Kirkwall and Scrabster but not in that order. It was a half-price offer too good to refuse!

Sorting the photos will help me remember I hope.

Hearing news of tornadoes in Texas - hope you are OK Ruby?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:

Ships visited:

>
Gold Coast
9,692 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I remember it - there are 2 in fact - one to the Turks and one to the Allies. The Turkish one is a square arch I think, and the one for the allies a pillar.

Adonia - Killybegs, Portree, Belfast, Dublin, Guernsey, Liverpool, Kirkwall and Scrabster but not in that order. It was a half-price offer too good to refuse!

Sorting the photos will help me remember I hope.

Hearing news of tornadoes in Texas - hope you are OK Ruby?
Have fun sorting all your photos.

Sounds a great cruise, Sharon. Is this an adults only ship? I agree Half price offer is too good to refuse. Have you been to all those ports before?

Never ceases to amaze me the damage those tornadoes do in the US. I saw on the news that one of the tornadoes was on the ground for a record amount of time. They scare me more than cyclones. These spring storms are now approaching the East Coast, so are widespread.

Are you near tornado alley, Ruby?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,008 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Are you near tornado alley, Ruby?
I live in Tornado Alley. I guess I'm used to it but, a few years ago, straight-line winds blew thru my town, tore huge branches off my backyard tree which then filled my backyard completely, and severely damaged my patio cover. It cost thousands to remove the tree, repair the patio cover, etc. So now I listen closely for info about severe windstorms coming in.

The latest tornadoes were in Canton, TX which is roughly east of here. That area is famous for First Monday where vendors gather under many tents to sell their wares and thousands of people go there to shop, then retail the items later. I shake my head about the financial damage incurred, but the loss of life is so very sad.

Ruby
Gold Coast
9,692 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I live in Tornado Alley. I guess I'm used to it but, a few years ago, straight-line winds blew thru my town, tore huge branches off my backyard tree which then filled my backyard completely, and severely damaged my patio cover. It cost thousands to remove the tree, repair the patio cover, etc. So now I listen closely for info about severe windstorms coming in.

The latest tornadoes were in Canton, TX which is roughly east of here. That area is famous for First Monday where vendors gather under many tents to sell their wares and thousands of people go there to shop, then retail the items later. I shake my head about the financial damage incurred, but the loss of life is so very sad.

Ruby
I didn't realised that Tornado Alley extended in to Texas. Although I knew Texas got severe storms of course. News usually shows damage from Oklahoma east. I worried about my daughter when she went to Urbana Champaign university, which was in Tornado Alley, for six months. Sad about the loss of life and the huge damage bill from the latest tornadoes.

Are the storms mainly in Spring?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marion

Irving TX
2,008 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Are the storms mainly in Spring?
Yes, altho' we do, at times, experience strong tornadoes in Sept or Oct. Needless to say, when November comes, we all heave a huge sigh of relief.

Digression - onboard ship years ago, I was on a deck above the bridge when I spotted a waterspout ahead of the ship. An officer looked up and saw me standing there. I commented how pretty the 'spout was. He said they were extremely dangerous because the path of the 'spout could not be predicted and that the force of the storm could be ferocious.

As they say, it's not nice to fool Mother Nature. She will humble you if you're not paying attention.

Ruby
Irving TX
2,008 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Shazzam! You got it - the square arch is what I was remembering.

In hindsight, I saw so much new, old, and historic sights on my Black Sea cruise on Prinsendam. On the Bosphorus, we sailed under First Bridge and Second Bridge outside of Istanbul. Those are honkin' big freeway bridges outside the distant city center. We docked at a Russian seaport in Sevastopol Ukraine with stops at Trabzon and Sinop Turkey.

We also had a fine view of the workings of the Russian naval bases and how their warships were staffed. We usually parked next to these ships.

To do this itinerary, you would need to be on a small ship. Turns out the megaships can't make the turn on the Bosphorus from Istanbul into the Black Sea.

Ruby
West Country, UK
4,235 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Shazzam! You got it - the square arch is what I was remembering.

In hindsight, I saw so much new, old, and historic sights on my Black Sea cruise on Prinsendam. On the Bosphorus, we sailed under First Bridge and Second Bridge outside of Istanbul. Those are honkin' big freeway bridges outside the distant city center. We docked at a Russian seaport in Sevastopol Ukraine with stops at Trabzon and Sinop Turkey.

We also had a fine view of the workings of the Russian naval bases and how their warships were staffed. We usually parked next to these ships.

To do this itinerary, you would need to be on a small ship. Turns out the megaships can't make the turn on the Bosphorus from Istanbul into the Black Sea.

Ruby
Not so sure about needing to be on a small ship Ruby as my friend did the Black Sea on Azura, which is pretty big in my view! I was on Artemis which was small - lovely area to cruise around.

I have starting uploading my world cruise blog with photos for anyone interested. The link is in my signature. http://sharonp-shipsinmylife.blogspot.com/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:

Ships visited:

>
Irving TX
2,008 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Not so sure about needing to be on a small ship Ruby as my friend did the Black Sea on Azura, which is pretty big in my view! I was on Artemis which was small - lovely area to cruise around.
I was on Prinsendam in 2009. Azura was launched in 2008. I looked up the ship and, as you say, that is one huge ship. Evidently maritime technology has figured out a steering system that can park at or near the ports in the Black Sea.

Since you've made that journey, would you say that most of the Black Sea ports are reached by Azura's tenders? I don't recall any of the ports that could accommodate a ship of that size at the wharf. So interesting!

Ruby
West Country, UK
4,235 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
I was on Prinsendam in 2009. Azura was launched in 2008. I looked up the ship and, as you say, that is one huge ship. Evidently maritime technology has figured out a steering system that can park at or near the ports in the Black Sea.

Since you've made that journey, would you say that most of the Black Sea ports are reached by Azura's tenders? I don't recall any of the ports that could accommodate a ship of that size at the wharf. So interesting!

Ruby
I'm not sure Ruby. I would have to ask my friend. Even on Artemis we didn't sail to Sevastapol but drove there from Yalta. Odessa should be fine for a big ship. My other Black Sea ports were Constanta and Nessebur which Azura didn't do and Sochi which was a tender for us as well but in the event was too rough to go. Azura has azipod propulsion which makes a ship pretty manoeuvrable. On the world cruise our captain was Wesley Dunlop who is ex-Saga. When he was asked what it was like going from Sapphire to Aurora he said like going from a Skoda to a Ferrari! And Aurora doesn't' have azipods but she does boast bow and stern thrusters.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Sharon

Cruise Photos:

Ships sailed on:

Ships visited:

>