Registered Massage Therapists?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 6,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:48 AM.
Calgary
15 Posts
Joined May 2017
If I go to the spa, are the massage treatments done by Registered Massage Therapists?

I ask because my work health care plan covers up to a certain amount each year for massages and I would submit the claim if I go.
Central Illinois
105,540 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
This is the kind of policy that can vary by cruise line. Best to ask in the forum dedicated to the cruise line:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Brilliance, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Oasis, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Vision, Voyager
Coastal GA USA
20,699 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Perhaps you could go to the website of the company that is contracted to provide the spa services. Most cruise lines use either Canyon Ranch or Steiner. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Magic 8/26/17; Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Cork
834 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
My insurance list all the local businesses that are covered by their policy on their website, cruise lines weren't included.

You might have a hard time arguing your massage on your cruise vacation was a genuine medical benefit 😀

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

02-07-2015 Norwegian Getaway
10-04-2014 Norwegian Jade
08-10-2013 Crown Princess
Point Richmond CA
4,594 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by YYC009
If I go to the spa, are the massage treatments done by Registered Massage Therapists?

I ask because my work health care plan covers up to a certain amount each year for massages and I would submit the claim if I go.

Nice try.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
New Cumberland,PA, USA
26,903 Posts
Joined May 2000
It they are registered, it will generally not be in the USA. They all work for a third party company (such as Steiner) which hire nearly all Europeans. At least one luxury line uses a third party company based in the USA (I think its Canyon Ranch)...but this is not the norm.

Hank
Point Richmond CA
4,594 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by Hlitner
It they are registered, it will generally not be in the USA. They all work for a third party company (such as Steiner) which hire nearly all Europeans. At least one luxury line uses a third party company based in the USA (I think its Canyon Ranch)...but this is not the norm.

Hank

Oceania uses Canyon Ranch.

Calgary
15 Posts
Joined May 2017
My plan is pretty good. Doesn't matter where in the world it takes place. I got reimbursed for a massage at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland and the InterContinental Resort in Tahiti, among others. I only have to prove it was done by a Registered Massage Therapist.

I guess I will try to find out what company NCL and Princess use.
Connecticut
11,283 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Are you certain the requirement isn't that the "treatment" be provided by a Licensed Massage Therapist rather than a Registered Massage Therapist? Of course neither term is subject to standard definition - even in the U S, so it sounds like an extraordinarily generous health insurance plan.

And neither term is likely to be applicable in the case of cruise ship practitioners - who are very rarely U S nationality or residence.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Six US Navy ships,
25+ cruises: Orient (1), Holland America (11), Norwegian (6), Carnival (1), Princess (1), Celebrity (3), Cunard (2), Royal Caribbean (1) - (1996-2017).
Coming up: Holland America - September 2017
Point Richmond CA
4,594 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by navybankerteacher
Are you certain the requirement isn't that the "treatment" be provided by a Licensed Massage Therapist rather than a Registered Massage Therapist? Of course neither term is subject to standard definition - even in the U S, so it sounds like an extraordinarily generous health insurance plan.

And neither term is likely to be applicable in the case of cruise ship practitioners - who are very rarely U S nationality or residence.

Yeah- almost too good to be true.