Long, rambling tale of our Viking Rhine Getaway on the Mani 8/26/16

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:18 PM.
2,784 Posts
Joined May 2005
Tuesday, August 30 Heidelberg

I think this should get me through the winter!

The people in this photo should give you some idea of the size

You could go up this spiral staircase and walk around the barrel. I think you could go underneath, but I didn't. I was losing our group again, and I wanted to get a shot of Elector Carl Philipp, court jester Perkeo. He entertained court society with his jokes and frequent puns. His ability to drink is legendary and is the subject of many an anecdote. As a painted wooden figure, Perkeo still has an eye on the Great Barrel today.

This is Perkeo

They had a wine bar, but we didn't have time for tasting any here

And I'm leaving you here for a bit with a shot of the Portcullis - don't want to get caught under that!

After this we went back outside for some more scenic views, which I shared earlier, and then we headed back to the buses.

They took us back into the City of Heidelberg itself and dropped us off by the lock I posted earlier. From there we had a walking tour of the town

Later ...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kath ...

Viking Mani - Rhine Getaway - 8/26/16 - photos & review
Pride - Eastern Caribbean - 4/23/16 - photos
Pride - Eastern Caribbean - 6/14/15 review & photos
Splendor - Canada - 9/1/14 photos
Splendor - Eastern Caribbean -6/10/13 review & photos
Miracle - Eastern Caribbean - 6/7/11 photos
Victory - Canada 6/12/07 Photos
Legend - Eastern Caribbean - 6/5/06 - Fabulous! Photos -
Voyager of the Seas - Bermuda - 5/15/05
Legend - Cruise to Nowhere - 2004
Victory - Cruise to Nowhere - 2003
Triumph - Cruise to Nowhere - 2002

2,784 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Bailey Swedishfish
Kath,

My husband and I have been enjoying your recap. We did that cruise (in the opposite direction) with our two early 20's sons. We have a blast with them, and while the ship was docked very late in Rudsheim, our sons went off and partied with the crew. Unfortunately, they missed the castle portion of the Rhine. (The crew promised us they'd get the guys back on board and not leave them behind...) (But they didn't stop them from getting so hammered their hangover came before scenery!)

Don't hesitate to take a Christmas Market cruise. December in Europe is much more mild that northern US. We've done several (and getting ready for another!) and honestly, it's never been much colder than the mid-40s. We had one day on the Danube between Vienna and Melk that was completely socked in fog and we couldn't see the Wachau Valley (our poor cruise director was beside himself...it was apparently clear about 30' up from the river but at our altitude--PEA SOUP) But we've never had snow or ice or bitter cold. (And we're from MN and know cold. )

Ironically, when we were Rothenburg ob der Tauber, home of Kathe Wolfhart, we asked if there were any stores in the United States. Why yes! There is ONE! In Stillwater MN! (about 90 minutes from us.) HAHAHA. I chuckled as I checked out with $$$ worth of ornaments I was going to haul home...that I could have bought in MINNESOTA. But I'd highly recommend the Danube Waltz Christmas Market cruise. It's fabulous. Fun. A great mix of different cultures (Budapest! *swoon* Vienna! Salzburg! Linz! Bratislava! Passau!)
Sorry your sons missed the castles, but I suspect they would say they had a better time with the crew!

I have a Christmas Market cruise on the back burner. We'll see. We want to do the Viking Ocean West Indies Explorer and the East Coast Explorer from Montreal to NYC. And I have my eye on the Castles & Legends. Please do let me know how you like it. Are you visiting Mad Ludwig's Castle? It's a bucket list thing for me.

LOL - over finding that you and a Kathe Wolfhart store close to home. I think my in-laws might have sent that crystal ornament to me, and that's probably where they got it. They used to live in CO and the traveled around quite a bit by car.

Sorry - about the fog in the Wachau. I think I'll stop complaining about the few clouds during our Rhine Gorge transit!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kath ...

290 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Loving your review Kath, especially all the detail in the pics. One of the best things for me was the invention of digital cameras!

On a side note, I had to go to our local Dutch store to get some Spatzle for our Sauerbraten I'm making and found your klompen slippers. Guess we don't have to get them in Amsterdam, so that leaves me more $$ to spend at the Christmas stores.
2,784 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Daisi
Loving your review Kath, especially all the detail in the pics. One of the best things for me was the invention of digital cameras!

On a side note, I had to go to our local Dutch store to get some Spatzle for our Sauerbraten I'm making and found your klompen slippers. Guess we don't have to get them in Amsterdam, so that leaves me more $$ to spend at the Christmas stores.

Thanks! I love Spatzle! We had a neighbor who used to make it - so good!

LOL about the klompen slippers. My husband decided he really liked them, so he found a place to order them on the internet

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kath ...

2,784 Posts
Joined May 2005
I have to apologize again. I do mean to finish this. I'm writing it up in a Word Doc, so I can read it myself! I got all caught up in the holidays and then January went zooming by!

Plus we booked the West Indies Explorer on Viking Ocean, so now I'm in research mode again, as well!

Perhaps I'll use Super Bowl weekend since I'm not into that whole thing

Please be patient! I will finish!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Kath ...

New York
8,091 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by Cyber Kat
I have to apologize again. I do mean to finish this. I'm writing it up in a Word Doc, so I can read it myself! I got all caught up in the holidays and then January went zooming by!

Plus we booked the West Indies Explorer on Viking Ocean, so now I'm in research mode again, as well!

Perhaps I'll use Super Bowl weekend since I'm not into that whole thing

Please be patient! I will finish!
Yeah -- it's just the same old, same old Patriots again
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email me: [email protected]
Blogs: Jazzbeaux Blogs

I am not an employee of Cruise Critic and I don't speak for Cruise Critic. All opinions are mine alone. Also, I'm only a Host on the various River forums -- everywhere else I'm "just plain Jazz."

Booked:
Crown Princess Classic Canada & New England 10-2017
Azamara Quest Costa Rica 1-2018
AMA Discover Africa 5-2018
Viking Sun British Isles Explorer 8-2018
Celebrity Edge Caribbean B2B / Celebrity Equinox Caribbean B2B 1-2019 [will choose one!]

Completed:
Norwegian Pride of America Hawaii 10-2016; Azamara Quest Norwegian Fjords 8-2016; Celebrity Constellation Greek Isles 5-2016; AmaDagio Provence 9-2015; Celebrity Xpedition Galapagos 5-2015; Celebrity Eclipse Southern Carib 3-2015; Fresco Tours A Kinder Camino walking tour 9-2014; Crystal Serenity Mediterranean 5-2014; Coral Princess Panama Canal 1-2014; AmaCello Rhine 8-2013; Coral Princess Alaska 6-2013; Ireland Fly-Drive 9-2012; Norwegian Dawn Caribbean 3-2013 / Celebrity Summit Caribbean 1-2012 / Oceania Insignia Mediterranean 5-2011 / Fair Dinkum (Erie Canal bareboat) 7-2003 / Costa Italia Caribbean 5-1974
286 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Thanks for a great review! I just booked the Rhine Getaway on the Viking Vidar today and was so excited to find your review!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Viking Vidar July 2017
Holland America Veendam July 2015
NCL Breakaway July 2014
RCI Oasis of The Seas July 2012
Norwegian Epic July 2010
Disney Magic July 2009
Norwegian Pearl July 2008
Disney Wonder March 2007
Norwegian 1993
South Jersey
95 Posts
Joined May 2004
I love your review and appreciate the time you are taking with all the pictures and details. We will be on this cruise in April and having this information is wonderful! Looking forward to your review of Breisach, and Colmar if you went. I have read that Colmar is one of the ten most picturesque towns to visit.
Sharon
United States
6 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
what a wonderful report!We too are booked on this cruise(our first) in June, 2017 going opposite direction
Look forward to reading the rest of your report
Florida
23 Posts
Joined Jun 2014
Originally posted by Cyber Kat
After the Canal House museum, we headed back to the hotel because the reception person - I hate that I have forgotten her name (they remembered ours!) - had said that the room would be ready around 11:00am.
We did Amsterdam to Basel in 2016, I have really enjoyed reliving our trip as I read your account.

We are doing Viking Air this year, Business Class, Atlanta to Paris. We are traveling a day early to have a jet lag day. Be aware that you loose your Viking Transfer if you don't fly Viking's schedule. Our intent had been to get an airport hotel and crash. Then meet the Viking Transfer the next day. Viking doesn't allow that, we have to arrange our own transfer. So we have book a downtown hotel, will Uber to hotel. Do some sightseeing the next morning, then Uber to ship. We will have Viking Transfer on the return.

We have alway splurge and booked Veranda Suite. I get up early, go get coffee and pastry and come back to room and read, transfer photos, write notes, without disturbing Carol who sleeps in to the last minute. It works well for us.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jim & Carol

Paris & Heart of Normandy - Viking Rolf 2017
Switzerland to North Sea - Viking Vidar 2016
Scottish Train Tour 2015
Portraits of Southern France - Viking Hermod 2014
Irish Bus Tour 2013