Does My Packing Strategy Have FAIL Written All Over it?

monicakm

This is actually just about one piece of luggage. I have an over the door shoe bag in which I've put all our toiletries and OTC meds. I have a rolling duffle bag. My idea is to fold/roll up the shoe bag with the items in it and secure with duct tape. Get to our room and all I have to do is remove the tape and unroll :)

Option 1) Check it with the rest of my luggage. Being a duffle bag it's soft sided. Is it going to get smushed to smiterines? It won't contain any glass.

Option 2) Carry on (it rolls so it's no big deal), but, will they have to take it out, UNtape and UNROLL it to check the contents?

Thanks,

Monica

This is actually just about one piece of luggage. I have an over the door shoe bag in which I've put all our toiletries and OTC meds. I have a rolling duffle bag. My idea is to fold/roll up the shoe bag with the items in it and secure with duct tape. Get to our room and all I have to do is remove the tape and unroll :)

Option 1) Check it with the rest of my luggage. Being a duffle bag it's soft sided. Is it going to get smushed to smiterines? It won't contain any glass.

Option 2) Carry on (it rolls so it's no big deal), but, will they have to take it out, UNtape and UNROLL it to check the contents?

Thanks,

Monica

here is a packing Tip. Also on youtube there is a site how to pack for 60 days with a carry-on.

http://www.cruisedirectonline.com/packing.html#packing

Who would unroll it and check the contents? Are you talking about flying? If so, you'd have to check it if you have any liquids there.

I have never seen the need for one of those shoe holders, but do what works for you.

I wouldn't duct tape anything. It will leave a residue and it's sticky. I'd just roll it up and pack in the duffle.

here is a packing Tip. Also on youtube there is a site how to pack for 60 days with a carry-on.

http://www.cruisedirectonline.com/packing.html#packing

Thanks but I don't need a packing list (I've already read it). Just wondering about my idea of keeping items in the shoe bag during transport and if it would need to be unrolled for inspection if I do carry on.

Who would unroll it and check the contents? Are you talking about flying? If so, you'd have to check it if you have any liquids there.

I have never seen the need for one of those shoe holders, but do what works for you.

I wouldn't duct tape anything. It will leave a residue and it's sticky. I'd just roll it up and pack in the duffle.

Aren't carry ons inspected by port authorities before you board the ship?

No, I'm not talking about flying. Sorry for not making that clear.

I tested the roll up idea and the larger items can fall out if not secured. I'm really not worried about the tape residue. I haven't needed this in 10 years and it might be another 10 before I need it again :) I can always buy another one if needed.

I see you are driving to port, correct? If your duffle bag fits through the scanner (same size as those at an airport), it will be x-rayed. They'd only open it if they saw something suspicious inside.

Yes, we're driving. So you think this would be best carried on and not checked?

If you're not flying, pack your stuff in the holder, roll it up, tie it in some fashion (use tape if you want!), and I would carry my toiletries....but that's just me! I wouldn't check it. Stick it in a tote or another carryon, if you have room.

It will go thru the scanner as you board, but that's really no big deal!

Edited by cb at sea

I think you have a valid worry they would want to check the bottles if you are carrying it on. From that point of view, it actually almost sounds like a great smuggling idea (I won't use it, I don't drink anyways!) if you are putting bigger bottles like shampoo or conditioner or lotion in it.

If you put it in a checked bag, they still might open it to check it, but then you wouldn't have to take the tape off yourself :)

We use a rolling duffel bag to pack so I understand your worry about it getting smushed since they are so soft. I will say in the 4 cruises we have taken ours on, we haven't had an issue at all with it. Out of 3 cruises where we could see the baggage carts from our balcony being loaded onto the ship, we have spotted in on top every time. This was at 3 different ports also so I can't say it is limited to one ports procedures.

So in the end, do whatever makes you most comfortable but be prepared for the worst in having to open it if needed!

If you're driving, then put it in your carry-on, that way if your rolling duffle ends up at the bottom of the cart with 15 others on top, the contents won't be smashed. If you are flying, you will have to check it, because whatever doesn't fit into the 1qt clear plastic bag will be removed and disposed of at the airport before you board the aircraft.

I used to bring along the multi-pocket shoe holder, but have reduced the amount of things we take with us, so we no longer need it. There is enough room on the bathroom counter/shelves to hold our toiletries. If you are filling it and rolling it, I would consider securing it with either ribbon, string, or just a couple of large rubber bands.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I think you have a valid worry they would want to check the bottles if you are carrying it on. From that point of view, it actually almost sounds like a great smuggling idea (I won't use it, I don't drink anyways!) if you are putting bigger bottles like shampoo or conditioner or lotion in it.

If you put it in a checked bag, they still might open it to check it, but then you wouldn't have to take the tape off yourself :)

We use a rolling duffel bag to pack so I understand your worry about it getting smushed since they are so soft. I will say in the 4 cruises we have taken ours on, we haven't had an issue at all with it. Out of 3 cruises where we could see the baggage carts from our balcony being loaded onto the ship, we have spotted in on top every time. This was at 3 different ports also so I can't say it is limited to one ports procedures.

So in the end, do whatever makes you most comfortable but be prepared for the worst in having to open it if needed!

This is how your bags are loaded onto the ship (ours are on top - the ones with the lettering). :) I wouldn't want a duffle type bag ending up on the bottom.

DSC01344_zps0ec35f4a.jpg

I just wanted to add what we experienced on one of our cruises as far as opening packages. Coming off of our cruise the couple we were with had rum cakes and souvenirs from piranha joe's. Not only did they open up the souvenirs but they actually took off the factory plastic wrap off all the rum cakes! The couple we not happy campers after this.

For the OP, she is traveling via car and not plane. Carry ons will go through the scanner at the security point. So unless whoever is checking that wants to pull out her bag and ask her to open it (which is highly unlikely), she shouldn't have a concern. Worst case scenario, she pulls out the shoe bag and unrolls it.

They are probably looking for containers that might contain booze.

I use a toiletry bag that I put in my carry on. I have never been asked to open my carry on.

Now if she was flying, that would be another matter.

I just wanted to add what we experienced on one of our cruises as far as opening packages. Coming off of our cruise the couple we were with had rum cakes and souvenirs from piranha joe's. Not only did they open up the souvenirs but they actually took off the factory plastic wrap off all the rum cakes! The couple we not happy campers after this.

What was the reasoning for unwrapping the rum cakes for crying out loud? :o

There WILL be liquids. I have a small bottle of fingernail polish remover, shampoo, small bottle of Downy Wrinkle Release, leave-in spray (hair) conditioner and some anti-nausea liquid med. And we're not drinkers so there will be no booze sumggling :D

There WILL be liquids. I have a small bottle of fingernail polish remover...

I did that once and only once - it leaked and it was a huge mess. :( Since then, I have discovered the nail polish remover pads, available at any drug store or chain store; I got mine at Wal Mart. They are fantastic!! They come in sealed packages, one pad for your 10 nails. I only use them when I travel because it is lighter, less mess, and so convenient. Just thought I would mention it. :)

I've used the over the door shoe bag for years and love it. But I pack all the items in my suit case, fold the bag super flat and then put the items in the bag when I get to the room. I could never fold the bag filled with items flat enough to get in a bag. and I would end up dumping stuff when I unfolded (unrolled) it any way.