Bottle washing onboard Carnival Cruise

jlpalmer

Bring a bit of dish detergent...rinse in your bathroom sink. Since kids can't cruise until they are 6 months, they are well past the need to have "sterilized" bottles! Or, use disposible bottles. Breastfeeding is the easiest way! Nothing to wash that can't be cleaned in a shower!

Edited by cb at sea

It's recommended that baby bottles are sterilised until baby is 12 months old. Just take along a plastic tub that will fit a couple of bottles and use sterilising tablets with cold water.

Not here! When my oldest was about a month old, I asked the pediatrician when I could stop boiling the bottles. She laughed and said there is never a need to sterilize - babies need clean, not sterile. Think about it - babies put things in their mouths all of the time that aren't sterile. And babies over a year old should not be using bottles anyway.

Been thirty years since I was concerned about my childrens bottles but what about using those ones made that hold the fluid in a plastic bag that you dispose of when its empty. Playtex if I remember that far back. Then you need only worry about the nipples to clean. If you want really hot water to clean them go to the buffet and get a cup or two of the hot water they have for making tea and bring it back to the room

Not here! When my oldest was about a month old, I asked the pediatrician when I could stop boiling the bottles. She laughed and said there is never a need to sterilize - babies need clean, not sterile. Think about it - babies put things in their mouths all of the time that aren't sterile. And babies over a year old should not be using bottles anyway.

Well most babies I have come into contact with have still been using bottles at a year old, including my own two and my three grandchildren - just because they were still using bottles at that age does not mean they were not being taught to cup feed as well. Bottles with teats give comfort to a baby. I personally would not trust any paediatrician who told me not to sterilise my babies' bottles - you sterilise to make sure old, sour milk is cleaned from the bottles and teats, either by boiling or by using sterilising liquid.

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

Well most babies I have come into contact with have still been using bottles at a year old, including my own two and my three grandchildren - just because they were still using bottles at that age does not mean they were not being taught to cup feed as well. Bottles with teats give comfort to a baby. I personally would not trust any paediatrician who told me not to sterilise my babies' bottles - you sterilise to make sure old, sour milk is cleaned from the bottles and teats, either by boiling or by using sterilising liquid.

In the US most pediatricians only recommend sterilization for a few months at the most (if at all). After that cleaning with hot soapy water is what is recommended for bottles. I sterilized nipples (used playtex drop ins so there were no bottles to sterilize) before the first use & for about 6 weeks.

30 years ago when I was OB clinic head nurse and taught prenatal classes, we told our moms that if they were on city water, they didn't need to boil water for formula. And the dishwasher was perfectly okay for baby bottles, no sterilizing. EM

I stopped worrying about sterilizing my DD's bottle when I walked outside and saw her not only playing in the backyard but putting dirt in her month. I mean, what's the point? LOL.

Kids need germs and life to complete them and build up resistance. You can't keep them in a bubble. Heaven forbid their bottles are only clean not super sanitized! I understand the protection, really I do. Now I live with the 3 second rule. If it's only been on the (clean) floor for 3 seconds it's good to go. I've raised 2 children, 2 step children and 4 grandchildren and they've all lived without being sanitized.

Bring a bit of dish detergent...rinse in your bathroom sink. Since kids can't cruise until they are 6 months, they are well past the need to have "sterilized" bottles! Or, use disposible bottles. Breastfeeding is the easiest way! Nothing to wash that can't be cleaned in a shower!

Ditto.

We stopped sterilizing by the time he was a month old. His doctors said all the germaphobic parents can cause illness. My child has never had more than the sniffles.

Maybe things aren't as sanitary in the UK than in the US, but as a mom of five, we are told, unless we happen to be visiting a 3rd world country, that soap and water is fine (and to get the babies off the bottles at one year of age, although extended breastfeeding past this point is encouraged). One year olds are toddlers, not babies.

I don't know why milk would still be left in a bottle after cleaning? :confused:

Completely different in the UK. Sterilising until 12 months (a dishwasher DOES sterilise the bottles) although current advice does say 6 months, using boiled water to make up feeds and NO stockpiling of made-up bottles in the fridge. Strange how it seems to be such different advice, but I think I would err on the side of caution and go with our medical professionals. Having seen my baby grand-daughter suffer dreadfully with a bout of gastro-enteritis at five months old, I would not want any baby to have to go through it :(

Maybe things aren't as sanitary in the UK than in the US, but as a mom of five, we are told, unless we happen to be visiting a 3rd world country, that soap and water is fine (and to get the babies off the bottles at one year of age, although extended breastfeeding past this point is encouraged). One year olds are toddlers, not babies.

I don't know why milk would still be left in a bottle after cleaning? :confused:

What crass statements to make - do you think we are a third world country? Just returned from a New York stay and I cAn assure you that the UK is every bit, and more, as sanitary. My youngest grand-daughter was definitely not a toddler at one year - she was still a non-crawling, let alone walking baby who gained great comfort from a bottle - I am going to ignore your last 'confused' statement ;)

I stopped worrying about sterilizing my DD's bottle when I walked outside and saw her not only playing in the backyard but putting dirt in her month. I mean, what's the point? LOL.

Kids need germs and life to complete them and build up resistance. You can't keep them in a bubble. Heaven forbid their bottles are only clean not super sanitized! I understand the protection, really I do. Now I live with the 3 second rule. If it's only been on the (clean) floor for 3 seconds it's good to go. I've raised 2 children, 2 step children and 4 grandchildren and they've all lived without being sanitized.

Backyard dirt is not anywhere near as harmful as feeding bottles with microscopic deposits of sour milk which can be crawling with microbes. No way would I knowingly let any of my children or grandchildren eat anything off the floor, however clean, but each to his/her own :(

Edited by Dorset Cruiser

• 1 month later...

We used premixed formula already in bottles.. Only have to slap a nipple on it and it was ready. I brought it on board in flats I put in the stroller and wore the baby while pushing the formula lol. The nipples are toss away too. When he got older and used sippy cups, we used take and toss and I'd just throw them out. (In fact they have throw away spoons and bibs too).

Washing on board with soap (bring some), hot water, and a bottle brush (bring one) would be sufficient.

Backyard dirt is not anywhere near as harmful as feeding bottles with microscopic deposits of sour milk which can be crawling with microbes. No way would I knowingly let any of my children or grandchildren eat anything off the floor, however clean, but each to his/her own :(

I understand your concerns, but honestly, a thorough washing with soap, water, and a bottle brush is sufficient. The friction the bottle brush causes is enough to dislodge any nasty little microbes lurking and the soap acts as a surfactant to carry them down the drain. It's the same way that thorough and proper hand washing makes hand sanitizer unnecessary.

I think we need some levity here...

Ok- we all know breastfeeding is best and some mother's can't. My older son nursed forever! My youngest has a palette issue and couldn't nurse. My first cruise I took the friggin' breast pump with me and bottles for storage. Ugh! This was on NCL and he was 3 months old (yep-they allowed them then).

We had a suite with a huge picture window. So one day we are in port and I have the pump contraption on and here comes the window washer on the little lift. I thought he was going to fall off when he saw me half naked pumping milk. That was it for me!

I returned that pump when we got home and he used formula after that. What we go through for our kids!

As to sterilization- I understand that you don't want your kids to drink rotten milk but as long as you wash all the old milk from the bottle and nipple and rinse thoroughly- they'll be fine. Same with water for formula. Tap water is fine. Don't freak out about this. It's not going to hurt a 6 month old. The pacifiers need a good rinse if they fall on the floor but they don't need sterilization either. My kids were perfectly healthy babies breast or bottle fed.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain