Valparaiso / Santiago, Chile Hotel Recommendations - December 2016

Von & John

To the OP, you're definitely in the right place...this is the South America forum and most likely to be where you'll get the best answers to your question. It's possible that those on your roll call haven't yet visited any of the ports;)

We were in Santiago in January and were very well pleased with the Marriott Renaissance. It was quiet, yet walking distance to some good restaurants and shopping. We had a guide for three days who showed us around the city and surrounding areas, then drove us to Valparaiso on embarkation day (also Infinity). Worked out perfectly for us! Hope this helps.

To the OP, you're definitely in the right place...this is the South America forum and most likely to be where you'll get the best answers to your question. It's possible that those on your roll call haven't yet visited any of the ports;)

We were in Santiago in January and were very well pleased with the Marriott Renaissance. It was quiet, yet walking distance to some good restaurants and shopping. We had a guide for three days who showed us around the city and surrounding areas, then drove us to Valparaiso on embarkation day (also Infinity). Worked out perfectly for us! Hope this helps.

We'll check out the Marriott - do you recommend the guide you used?

The Renaissance is a beautiful hotel and concierge services are superb. I relied on them for all of my dinner reservations. We had a room on the Executive level and we found it to be one of the best we've experienced (Marriott, that is). There's a beautiful evening view of the Andes from up there...you almost get inured to it after a while!

Yes, we really liked our guide...his name is Fernando Ulloa Navarro. Here's a Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/chilefuntour/

He is very personable and easily adapts to whatever changes you may wish to make in your plans. His English is exceptional and he knows his way around the wine country. I highly recommend him.

Depends on your budget. Also depends whether you want time in Valparaiso or Santiago. We have stayed in both cities and actually enjoyed Valparaiso much more than Santiago. Though they are both worth seeing.

We were very happy with the Ibis in Valparaiso. We had two nights there pre cruise. The position was great for joining a Valparaiso walking tour (which was really interesting) and then exploring on our own. Adjacent to a supermarket and eating options. Big room, very helpful staff. Some people have commented on noise, but we didn't have any issues. Extremely good price. Short taxi ride to the cruise terminal. Can be busy on cruise turnaround days.

Would not hesitate to use the Ibis again if we ever do a repeat cruise in/out of Valparaiso. But you may be looking for something more upmarket, and something in Santiago.

The Renaissance is a beautiful hotel and concierge services are superb. I relied on them for all of my dinner reservations. We had a room on the Executive level and we found it to be one of the best we've experienced (Marriott, that is). There's a beautiful evening view of the Andes from up there...you almost get inured to it after a while!

Yes, we really liked our guide...his name is Fernando Ulloa Navarro. Here's a Facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/chilefuntour/

He is very personable and easily adapts to whatever changes you may wish to make in your plans. His English is exceptional and he knows his way around the wine country. I highly recommend him.

Thanks for the link to Fernando - we will check him out. As Platinum Elite for Marriott - looking at the Marriott Family - but also others, as we like to expand our horizons in other countries.

Depends on your budget. Also depends whether you want time in Valparaiso or Santiago. We have stayed in both cities and actually enjoyed Valparaiso much more than Santiago. Though they are both worth seeing.

We were very happy with the Ibis in Valparaiso. We had two nights there pre cruise. The position was great for joining a Valparaiso walking tour (which was really interesting) and then exploring on our own. Adjacent to a supermarket and eating options. Big room, very helpful staff. Some people have commented on noise, but we didn't have any issues. Extremely good price. Short taxi ride to the cruise terminal. Can be busy on cruise turnaround days.

Would not hesitate to use the Ibis again if we ever do a repeat cruise in/out of Valparaiso. But you may be looking for something more upmarket, and something in Santiago.

Great thought to stay in Valparaiso instead. We still have to book our flight - departing anywhere from the 24th to 27th & we are attempting to include a family visit into the mix before heading home to Alaska - so we are having a few challenges. Once we know how long we're staying & when our flight is, then we'll get to book the hotel :)

Great thought to stay in Valparaiso instead. We still have to book our flight - departing anywhere from the 24th to 27th & we are attempting to include a family visit into the mix before heading home to Alaska - so we are having a few challenges. Once we know how long we're staying & when our flight is, then we'll get to book the hotel :)

Strictly my opinion...if I had unlimited time and money I would have stayed a few days in Santiago and a night or so in Valpo. But since I have neither, plus not much tolerance for packing up and moving hotels for a day or two (that's why we love cruising), we chose Santiago. And after seeing of Valpo what admittedly was not totally inclusive, since it was embarkation day and we really cut Fernando short on what he had planned for us, we concluded that we didn't love it. You will need to do your own research and make that call. We were so happy with the decision we made to spend our time in Santiago and take day trips to sight see. Everyone is different and your particular interests may differ from ours. In any event, you will love this cruise!

Hi. We'll be sailing on the Infinity – December 2016. Can anyone provide post-cruise hotel recommendations for Valparaiso / Santiago, Chile? Thanks in Advance!

We loved Casa Higueras in Valpo a year ago. Lovely hotel and convenient to shops and restaurants. Plus they have a very good restaurant at the hotel. Will be staying there again in Feb 2017

We loved Casa Higueras in Valpo a year ago. Lovely hotel and convenient to shops and restaurants. Plus they have a very good restaurant at the hotel. Will be staying there again in Feb 2017

thanks for that hint, Ive sent an enquiry through for my stay in Valparaiso for February also. Looks like a very nice hotel. Are you on the QV by any chance? Roscoe

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Santiago in January and were very well pleased with the Marriott Renaissance. It was quiet, yet walking distance to some good restaurants and shopping. We had a guide for three days who showed us around the city and surrounding areas, then drove us to Valparaiso on embarkation day.

Hi,

We just booked the Renaissance for a pre-cruise stay in Santiago. Would love to know who you used as your guide and driver.

Woops..........Just read the thread to the bottom and see you did mention the guide's name!!!

Edited by bocatraveler09

• 6 months later...
Hi. We'll be sailing on the Infinity – December 2016. Can anyone provide post-cruise hotel recommendations for Valparaiso / Santiago, Chile? Thanks in Advance!

We will be spending one night in Santiago before boarding our ship. I know the breakfast is included, but we will need to buy dinner. Do most of the hotels in Santiago accept credit cards or is it necessary to convert money into their currency to pay for meals.