Whistle-stop tour of the Sights of Berlin

Cornishpastyman1

Visiting Berlin from a cruise ship leaves relatively little time to explore one of Europe's most fascinating cities, but even so I thoroughly recommend it. I had a single day there, not on a cruise, in October 2009 and in case you are wondering whether the long transfer is worthwhile here's my video of some of the most famous sights, with a bit of history thrown in :

(6 minutes)

There's very few physical remains of the infamous Berlin Wall, which is the subject of this video which I made combining archive photos and my own footage :

(5 minutes)

Reminders of Berlin's dark side are all about you, but I found my few hours there to be moving, thought-provoking and yet uplifting. If you go I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• 1 year later...
Visiting Berlin from a cruise ship leaves relatively little time to explore one of Europe's most fascinating cities, but even so I thoroughly recommend it. I had a single day there, not on a cruise, in October 2009 and in case you are wondering whether the long transfer is worthwhile here's my video of some of the most famous sights, with a bit of history thrown in :

(6 minutes)

There's very few physical remains of the infamous Berlin Wall, which is the subject of this video which I made combining archive photos and my own footage :

(5 minutes)

Reminders of Berlin's dark side are all about you, but I found my few hours there to be moving, thought-provoking and yet uplifting. If you go I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Tony,

October 27, 2011 marks the 50th anniversary of the standoff between Soviet and American tanks at Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin. It is amazing this period in history didn't end in another world war. Your video does a great job of recaping the history of the Berlin Wall.

Ron

Tony,

October 27, 2011 marks the 50th anniversary of the standoff between Soviet and American tanks at Checkpoint Charlie in Berlin. It is amazing this period in history didn't end in another world war. Your video does a great job of recapping the history of the Berlin Wall.

Ron

Thanks Ron. All you say is true. Berlin is an amazing city. I went back there this year and took the footage for these :

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (entrance is free, audioguide for the underground information centre is 4 euros)

From the roof of The Reichstag

If you want to go up to the roof and the Foster Dome book (well ahead) a free tour, or a table at the restaurant.

Archived