Do flights to Barcelona ever go down?

2hearted

Flying to Barcelona next September and prices seem to have gone way up from Detroit. Is it anything like flying in the states, where within 2 months is usually the best?

We've used Royal's Air2Sea (ChoiceAir) 4 times for one-way economy class trips to BCN. The prices for our flights stayed pretty much the same for the 11 months prior to the flight. If you want to upgrade economy to economy plus, I'd advise to book at least 6 months in advance if you want 2 window seats.

I've always heard the best prices for international flights is 6 months out, so good chance fares for next September will go down. We booked our flights for Barcelona last month through Air2Sea this past April and prices were, I thought, pretty good. Unfortunately, I don't know whether that was higher or lower than at 10-11 months out.

Although our flights to Barcelona are not international, we fly from London Gatwick and I was very very surprised by the hike in air fare for the particular time we are cruising next October.

We fly to Spain (Malaga) twice a year usually on Norwegian I always book our flights and pay the little bit extra to book one of the extra leg room seats I have always got a very good deal mainly because I booked a good 9-11 months out.

With this October 2017 cruise we originally ticked the box for RC to include the flights with BA when we booked but within 48 hours I cancelled because we wanted to fly out two days earlier do a bit of sightseeing in Barcelona (having never been to this City before). At the time of deciding whether to cancel the flights with RC I was able to secure a really good price on Monarch Airlines but had to wait about 14 days before I could book the return flights after the cruise. Suffice it to say, I kept checking every other day to see whether they were out and purely by luck was able to book via the Opodo web site with Iberia Airlines and again got a very cheap deal.

The Iberia flight now is £250 more than what I paid.

However I did notice that when each dedicated airline published their fights the prices had hiked to pretty much treble if not double double prices.

Maybe there is something "special" going on in Barcelona that time of year?

Edited by Jarronwood

We've done 4 TA cruise out of/into Barcelona with RCI as well as other TA into the UK and Mediterranean cruise and found booking about 3 months out has been best for us.

For our last TA cruise done last month on Brilliance by waiting to three months prior we got a $225US total cost one way fare each from Toronto to BCN which was booked directly with Air Canada. Strange as it may be Air2Sea fare for same flights was about $200US more each for the same exact flight itinerary and I never saw it lower than this.

This cruise was booked last January while on Anthem and I watched air cost to BCN regularly since then. Also flew back from Tampa to Toronto for $103US each which was booked directly with WestJet. The latter wasn't on disembarkation day as we spent a week in Florida after the cruise. This was also booked about three month prior.

Both flights itineraries were booked as separate one way tickets as in the past we've found this to be the way to get the lowest cost for overseas air flights to cruises that require open jaw itineraries. This was also best for flights for repositioning cruises we've done in Australia, South America and our one way cruises between the west coast and Hawaii.

Edited by robtulipe

We are going to Barcelona in April (not for a cruise). I've been looking since July (when we found out about the trip). RT has basically been ~$1200. At one point (for about a week), prices dropped to just over $1,000. That was about a month ago. I'm regretting not getting that now. We're now inside the 6 month window PP mentioned.

We booked Richmond, VA to BCN thru Air2Sea in July, 2016 for October, 2016 TA on Harmony. Price for economy was $287 the day we booked. Never saw it that cheap before or after. One stop/plane change at Dulles. NOTHING international goes non stop from Richmond.

Flying to Barcelona next September and prices seem to have gone way up from Detroit. Is it anything like flying in the states, where within 2 months is usually the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have a cruise on the Brilliance on Aug. 29. The direct flights out of Newark are close to $1,300 per on United as this carrier has a virtual monopoly. Looked at Expedia, Orbitz & Travelocity and found a one stopper on TAP Portugal for approx. $750. Looked at other airports nearby and finally found a good fare out of Philadelphia--a direct flight for $762 per. Booked it as soon as I could. The plane configuration is 2-4-2. Went to the seat selection and found many 2X2 seats having a different price structure, from $71 to $130 more per leg. Found 2 aisle seats near the bathrooms and booked it. A few days later the same flights were $500+ higher per.

The only suggestion that I can make, is to keep looking once or twice each day and any nearby airports. Once you see a good fare book it asap, as it may disappear. Not only are Int'l fares crazy, but also domestic ones.

lol! The title of your post made me think you were asking if flights to Barcelona ever crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Damn, I caught it right after I hit send. I hoped no one would notice. What was thinking?

Don't hold your breathe.

They don't get lower than what I booked today...

Got a good price through air2sea on Delta for October 17. We leave from a regional airport, LIT, so there to Barcelona for $220.65 each is a great deal.

I added comfort plus to the overseas flight at the Delta website for 89 each. Total ticket price each: $310!

We cannot go anywhere in less than 2 flights. This is a three flight to Barcelona, but the first two airports are ATL and JFK (in the US) with adequate time to make the next one!

Color me happy! Check your prices each day right now.