Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Hello,

We will be renting a car for the day in Warnemunde. We would like to visit Rostock, including the Stasi Museum, as well as Schwerin and the memorial at Wobbelin, with lunch and a stop for a beer at some point. We'd like to return to Warnemunde by about 6 pm or so. Do you have any suggestions for what order to visit these towns - Would it be better to visit Rostock first or last? How much time would you allot for the memorial and museum at Wobbelin? Is there a World War 2 memorial or exhibit in Ludwigslust? Also, my husband is disabled - we will have a wheelchair or folding mobility scooter with us. (He can walk a little if necessary and climb a few stairs.) I understand the Stasi Museum in Rostock is not very accessible (he's willing to give it a try), but do you happen to know if any of the other sites or towns would be especially difficult? Thank you for your very helpful information!

Hello,

We will be renting a car for the day in Warnemunde. We would like to visit Rostock, including the Stasi Museum, as well as Schwerin and the memorial at Wobbelin, with lunch and a stop for a beer at some point. We'd like to return to Warnemunde by about 6 pm or so. Do you have any suggestions for what order to visit these towns - Would it be better to visit Rostock first or last? How much time would you allot for the memorial and museum at Wobbelin? Is there a World War 2 memorial or exhibit in Ludwigslust? Also, my husband is disabled - we will have a wheelchair or folding mobility scooter with us. (He can walk a little if necessary and climb a few stairs.) I understand the Stasi Museum in Rostock is not very accessible (he's willing to give it a try), but do you happen to know if any of the other sites or towns would be especially difficult? Thank you for your very helpful information!

Hi, You do not say on which day of the week you will be visiting but the Stasi Museum is only open Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 6pm. It is a long time since I visited but I seem to think that there is a lift, maybe not accessible to everyone but worth enquiring at the entry desk. I think your biggest difficulty might be finding the place, it is tucked away behing other buildings with very little in the way of signage. Also parking could be a problem, as far as I know the only public access to the building is on foot.

There are a lot of cobbled streets in both Rostock and Schwerin but also plenty of good, flat pavements in the main pedestrian areas.

The Wobbelin Museum is located in the village on the left hand side, about 28klms south of Schwerin on the B106 (Schwerin to Ludwigslust road). It is open Wednesday to Friday 11am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday 1pm to 4pm. The Memorial and site of the camp is about 1klm further south on the same road, right hand side. It is well marked and there is a small car park. The access is flat and the pathways well maintained. The relevant exhibit in the Museum is quite small and there is not a great deal to see at the camp site so an hour would cover both easily.

There is indeed a memorial in Ludwigslust which is about 3klm further south on the same road. This is where 200 of the dead from Wobbelin were buried. On the orders of General James Gavin, whose troops found the camp, the leading citizens of Ludwigslust dug the graves on the green space between the Schloss and the church. The funeral service was conducted by three US Army chaplains, an Evangelical Minister, a Catholic Priest and a Jewish Rabbi, and the funeral was attended, again on Gavin's orders, by all the adult citizens of the town and all the troops under his command. The first memorial was erected by the Soviet Army during their occupation; the graves were later marked and memorial plaques in both English and German placed in the grass on the initiative of the Veterans of the 82nd Airborne Division. More information on Ludwigslust on my website

As the Stasi Museum in Rostock is open until 6pm I would be inclined to visit the farthest place first, ie Ludwigslust then Wobbelin , returning to Rostock via Schwerin.

If you decide to visit Ludwigslust I would love to meet you. You can contact me direct on travelanni13@gmail.com

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you so much! This information is most helpful. We will be in Warnemunde on a Tuesday, so the Wobbelin Museum will be closed, but we could still visit the cemetery. Your website is wonderful - I never would have known about Wobbelin or Ludwigslust without it and your posts on Cruise Critic. It really opens up options for those of us who don't want to go to Berlin. We will plan our day trip further and contact you if we go to Ludwigslust. Thank you again!

Thank you so much! This information is most helpful. We will be in Warnemunde on a Tuesday, so the Wobbelin Museum will be closed, but we could still visit the cemetery. Your website is wonderful - I never would have known about Wobbelin or Ludwigslust without it and your posts on Cruise Critic. It really opens up options for those of us who don't want to go to Berlin. We will plan our day trip further and contact you if we go to Ludwigslust. Thank you again!

Hi, thank you for your appreciation. The Museum is closed on Tuesday but the Wobbelin Memorial and camp site and the Ludwigslust cemetery are open spaces which can be visited at any time. I hope that you will decide to visit Ludwigslust and we can meet.

Anni

Hi Anni

We are going to be in Travemunde for 1 day during regatta week in July. We have two kids aged 13 & 11. Could you tell me what goes on that week? Is there anything in particular we should do? We are not sailors ourselves but quite happy to take in the atmosphere and experience something new!

Many thanks

Dee

Hi Anni

We are going to be in Travemunde for 1 day during regatta week in July. We have two kids aged 13 & 11. Could you tell me what goes on that week? Is there anything in particular we should do? We are not sailors ourselves but quite happy to take in the atmosphere and experience something new!

Many thanks

Dee

Hi, I have no personal experience of Travemünde Regatta week but if it is anything like Warnemünde Week then the whole place buzzes. As far as I can see from the advertisments, apart from the sailing there are markets, bands, shanty choirs and a fun fair. I'm sure the whole family can find something to enjoy. And of course there is the beautiful, long, sandy beach where you can sit and watch the boats racing! Hope you have fun.

Anni

I agree with Anni.

I doesn't have any personal experience from this particular regatta either but I have attended the Match racing world cup

in Marstrand (a very similar event) a few times and even if you are not a sailor yourself you will quite likely enjoy the great atmosphere.

Edited by Desdichado62

• 4 weeks later...

Anni-

We will be disembarking the Regal Princess in Warnemude on May 5th (7 am arrival) and have plenty of time to catch our flight from Berlin Tegal at 7:00 pm. Rather than purchasing $99 transfers from Princess, we are investigating the train to Berlin followed by the bus X9 or TXL. I have questions regarding the ease of handling luggage and also about purchasing train tickets.

Initially I thought it was easy to get from the ship to the Warnemunde train station but I remember reading one of your earlier postings regarding there being stairs to negotiate. We travel pretty light and can easily walk with our luggage but stairs aren't so easy. Please advise what the current situation is with stairs and possible alternatives. I assume it's necessary to go both up the stairs and down the stairs. Are there a lot? If we take a taxi to Rostock to avoid the stairs, are the taxis metered or is there a flat rate?

From looking at the DB Bahn website, it looks like we can buy two Quer-durchs-Land-Tickets for all day train travel for 52 euro. Do we need to do this online in advance or can we wait until we get to the rail station in Warnemunde (or Rostock depending on what we decide)? Are the ticket offices staffed or are there only automatic machines? If we don't have to buy tickets in advance, we have more freedom to change our plans should we decide it's easier to take the ship transfer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carol and Hasan

Anni-

We will be disembarking the Regal Princess in Warnemude on May 5th (7 am arrival) and have plenty of time to catch our flight from Berlin Tegal at 7:00 pm. Rather than purchasing $99 transfers from Princess, we are investigating the train to Berlin followed by the bus X9 or TXL. I have questions regarding the ease of handling luggage and also about purchasing train tickets.

Initially I thought it was easy to get from the ship to the Warnemunde train station but I remember reading one of your earlier postings regarding there being stairs to negotiate. We travel pretty light and can easily walk with our luggage but stairs aren't so easy. Please advise what the current situation is with stairs and possible alternatives. I assume it's necessary to go both up the stairs and down the stairs. Are there a lot? If we take a taxi to Rostock to avoid the stairs, are the taxis metered or is there a flat rate?

From looking at the DB Bahn website, it looks like we can buy two Quer-durchs-Land-Tickets for all day train travel for 52 euro. Do we need to do this online in advance or can we wait until we get to the rail station in Warnemunde (or Rostock depending on what we decide)? Are the ticket offices staffed or are there only automatic machines? If we don't have to buy tickets in advance, we have more freedom to change our plans should we decide it's easier to take the ship transfer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Carol and Hasan

Hi,

The stairs are down into and up out from the subway under the train lines. Two flights of about six shallow steps at each end.

All taxis in the Rostock area are metered and all taxis charge the same fares.

http://www.hansetaxi-rostock.de/en/fares.html

The Quer-durchs-Land ticket @ 52 euros is one ticket for two persons travelling together. It can be bought on-line in advance or either from a ticket office or a machine on the day. There are manned ticket offices on both stations.

Anni

Hi,

The stairs are down into and up out from the subway under the train lines. Two flights of about six shallow steps at each end.

All taxis in the Rostock area are metered and all taxis charge the same fares.

http://www.hansetaxi-rostock.de/en/fares.html

The Quer-durchs-Land ticket @ 52 euros is one ticket for two persons travelling together. It can be bought on-line in advance or either from a ticket office or a machine on the day. There are manned ticket offices on both stations.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni-

Thanks for your prompt response. It sounds like the steps will be manageable. Glad you noted that it's a single ticket good for 2 persons. I'm pretty sure we'll take the train but we will wait and buy the ticket at the station just to keep our options open.

It's very much appreciated that you offer your assistance!

Carol and Hasan

Anni-

Thanks for your prompt response. It sounds like the steps will be manageable. Glad you noted that it's a single ticket good for 2 persons. I'm pretty sure we'll take the train but we will wait and buy the ticket at the station just to keep our options open.

It's very much appreciated that you offer your assistance!

Carol and Hasan

Thank you for your appreciation.

I, and the other 'locals' on this forum, do this because we like to help people enjoy our part of the world and your appreciation, or even just to know that a reply has been read, makes it all worth while.

Thanks again :)

Anni

Hi everyone, just to apologise in advance for not answering queries during the next 3 weeks. I am off on a cargo ship again and so will not have internet access until after 8th. May.

3 European ports and 8 blissful sea-days :D, Hamburg to Genoa. My idea of heaven!

I am sure that someone else will answer NE Germany questions in my absence.

During my research for the trip I came across this very useful website.

http://www.TaxiFareFinder.com

It is very comprehensive and seems to cover the whole world! I checked out our local prices and they were pretty accurate. Hope it comes in useful.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni
url error

• 2 weeks later...

Our ship was supposed to dock in Warnemunde on May 5 and we planned to walk to the train station to go to Berlin but it is docking in Rostock instead. Can we walk from the ship to the train station in Rostock? We don't mind walking 2 or 2.5 km on pavement and our luggage is manageable. If we have to take a taxi how much should we expect to spend? Do taxi's take credit cards? Thanks for any suggestions.

Carol

The port of Rostock and Rostock town is located very long from each other, its probably around 10 kilometers or so.

But if you search on google maps for directions between Rostock Seehafen and Rostock Hbf you can see the distance.

There once was a S-bahn out to Seehafen from Rostock but as far as I know it has been discontinued, there is public Busses in the area but its probably better to let travelanni explaining about that when she's getting home.

• 2 weeks later...
The port of Rostock and Rostock town is located very long from each other, its probably around 10 kilometers or so.

But if you search on google maps for directions between Rostock Seehafen and Rostock Hbf you can see the distance.

There once was a S-bahn out to Seehafen from Rostock but as far as I know it has been discontinued, there is public Busses in the area but its probably better to let travelanni explaining about that when she's getting home.

Thanks for posting. Ultimately, because we were at a cargo port, Princess provided free shuttle bus to both Rostock town center and the train station and as you indicated, it was quite a distance.

Because the rail strike started the day we disembarked, we couldn't use the train but it turned out okay as we ended up buying bus tickets for 11 Euro each from Rostock ZOB to Berlin Alexanderplatz and then took the TXL airport bus from there. We booked the bus to Berlin online the night before at http://meinfernbus.de/en but could have booked at the bus station.

Using the Princess shuttle to the train station which was right next to the bus station made it easy for us. Other cruise passengers who took a taxi instead of the free shuttle reported spending around 30 euros to get to the bus station. I certainly can recommend the bus as an alternative to the $100 Princess transfer to Berlin airport. Hopefully this post can help others who choose independent travel.

I have received an email from my tour company that there is a bridge on the route between Warnemunde and Berlin that is closed to traffic northbound over 7.5 tons. What is the scoop on that? Do you know of any other possibilities other than the detour if we are transferring to/from Berlin by bus? Any private companies that would be a possibility in smaller buses that would be able to cross the bridge?

Edited by spotte

G'day Anni. I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

I just finished reading this WHOLE thread and have been reading your website too. I'm full of questions and can't wait to have you posting again.

G'day Anni. I hope you had a wonderful holiday.

I just finished reading this WHOLE thread and have been reading your website too. I'm full of questions and can't wait to have you posting again.

Hi, I did have a fantastic time, thanks. Warm, sunny weather after Biscay, three very pleasant fellow passengers and, as usual, a great crew; plus the bonus of a BBQ and party involving everyone (officers, crew and passengers) to celebrate May Day. A very good time was had by all :D

Freighter cruising is not for everyone but I have been enjoying this way of travel for over 11 years now and (subject to passing the medicals) will continue as long as possible.

On the ships which I use there is no doctor on board and no elevator although the accommodation and public space is spread over six decks so the company has a cut off age of 75yrs but after that will consider experienced passengers who are in good enough health to pass a medical. Fingers crossed for a few more yet ;)

The train journey home was a different matter as there was the usual chaos in Italy and I ran into the rail strike in Germany but made it after a forced, but pleasant, stop-over in Switzerland.

So I am back posting now and look forward to helping cruisers enjoy this part of the world.

Anni