Warndmunde- Schwerin and Wismar in 1 Day?

dana r.

My ship is docking at Warnemunde at 7:30AM on May 12 and leaving at 10PM.

Will that be enough time to go to Schwerin and Wismar DIY on that day? I look at the cruise excursions, and I don't see any that does this which makes me question if its possible. The cruise excursions either go to Berlin, Warnemunde and Rodstock, or Warnemunde and Schwerin.

And, I look at the Rick Steves cruises guidebook, and he doesn't mention that trip either- instead he either talks about going from Warnemunde to Berlin or Warnemunde and Rodstock.

If it is possible, what route and itineary would you suggest? Should I go to Schwerin or Wismar first?

Judging by a public transport search on Google maps, there is a direct train between Schwerin and Wismar which takes about 40 minutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Schwerin,+Tyskland/Hansestadt+Wismar,+Am+Markt+1,+23970+Wismar,+Tyskland/@53.6933905,11.3012617,10z/data=!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x47add992b50ef799:0x4251ae8ad8482c0!2m2!1d11.4012499!2d53.6355022!1m5!1m1!1s0x47adb88e82eeae77:0x4640c658e20b9f4c!2m2!1d11.466107!2d53.89191!3e3

Also see this: http://www.bahn.de/p_en/view/index.shtml

I had a look at the travelplanner at bahn.de

Wm. Schwering place

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=96242&seqnr=1&ident=1r.029236242.1427731455&rt=1&OK#focus

Schwerin - Wismar I calculated with 3 hours at Schwerin (don't know if it is enough time)

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=96242&seqnr=2&ident=1r.029236242.1427731455&rt=1&OK#focus

Wismar- Wnm: Calculated with 3,5-4 hours in Wismar http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=96242&seqnr=6&ident=1r.029236242.1427731455&rt=1&OK#focus

So it seems doable but I don't know if you will able to see "everything" within the times I have calculated with

Hopefully Anni can give you a much more detailed answer.

Edited by Desdichado62

Will that be enough time to go to Schwerin and Wismar DIY on that day? I look at the cruise excursions, and I don't see any that does this which makes me question if its possible. The cruise excursions either go to Berlin, Warnemunde and Rodstock, or Warnemunde and Schwerin.

And, I look at the Rick Steves cruises guidebook, and he doesn't mention that trip either- instead he either talks about going from Warnemunde to Berlin or Warnemunde and Rodstock.

If it is possible, what route and itineary would you suggest? Should I go to Schwerin or Wismar first?

Hi,me and my wife will be in same cruise,are any of those two towns better than Rodstock?

Thanks

Hi,

Visiting both Schwerin and Wismar is possible in one day with 3-4 hours in each town. It does not really matter which town you visit first but I would recommend Schwerin-Wismar-Rostock as the best possible use of time in view of the train schedules.

Given your ships arrival time you could take the s-bahn leaving Warnemünde at either 8:02 or 8:17, then the 9:07 from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin, arriving Schwerin 10:03.

Trains depart Schwerin to Wismar every hour, at 46 mins past the hour, throughout the day. Travel time 35 mins. I would suggest taking the 13:46.

Trains depart Wismar to Rostock every hour, at 42 mins past the hour, throughout the day. Change in Rostock for Warnemünde. Travel time 1hour 39 mins.

Given a sailing time of 22:00, I would presume a boarding time of 21:00 so the last possible train from Wismar would be 18:42 arriving Warnemünde 20:24

The Mecklenburg Lander ticket will cover the whole day's travel from Rostock but you will need single tickets for the s-bahn from Warnemünde to Rostock Hbf as this leg of the journey is before 9:00. Cost of the Lander ticket is 23 euros for 1 person + 4 euros for each additional person (max 4 persons on one ticket).

Please see my web site for more details.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
spelling

Carla and I are on this cruise also. Leaving the husbands home. Warnemunde seems to be a quaint place to explore. I researched Rostock and From what I have read it's an industrial town. She and I will explore Warnemunde at leisure then head back to the ship. If you are interested in joining us, please post. Counting the days, Laurie

Warnemunde seems to be a quaint place to explore. I researched Rostock and From what I have read it's an industrial town.

Not sure where you got the idea that Rostock is an industrial town but that is far from the case!

I have travelled the world and lived in or visited many different places over the past 30 years. 10 years ago, by choice, I settled in Rostock and can assure visitors that it is one of the most pleasant and interesting small cities I know.

• It is the most important and busiest Cruise Ship port in Germany.
  • Warnemünde is part of Rostock and one of the most popular holiday destinations for Germans in their own country.
  • The city has a long history, dating from 1160, and boasts many fine medieval buildings, good museums, a church with an anstronomical clock dating from 1492, a completely pedestrianised city centre within the city walls and many green spaces.

The main 'industry' is tourism, followed by the roll-on-roll-off ferries which are a vital link between Europe and Scandanavia. There are other industries but on a very small scale - even a city which relies mostly on tourism has to live through the winter months.

True, Rostock cannot compare with St Petersburg or Copenhagen or Stockholm but it does not aspire to. Rostock is itself -a typical, small German city with a rich history, some ancient buildings and the bonus of a wonderful beachside suburb, well worth a visit.

For official details on what the city and its seaside suburb have to offer please visit (as advised in answer to your previous question 'Is it worth it..Rostock?)

http://www.rostock.de/en/sightseeing.html

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

We(6 of us) will be in Warnemunde on May 21 from 0700-2130 and were wondering if possibly there is a private tour to the Schwerin Palace. If not what would be involved in doing it ourselves. We have done some travel in Italy by train in the past. Would train and palace tickets need to be purchased in advance? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thank You

We(6 of us) will be in Warnemunde on May 21 from 0700-2130 and were wondering if possibly there is a private tour to the Schwerin Palace. If not what would be involved in doing it ourselves. We have done some travel in Italy by train in the past. Would train and palace tickets need to be purchased in advance? Any info would greatly be appreciated. Thank You

The major tour operators offer private tours which include the Palace in Schwerin. Maybe someone who has done one of these tours can be of more help.

However, Schwerin is very easy to DIY. For details on how to get from Warnemünde to Schwerin and from the station to the palace please see the Schwerin page on my web site.

The Mecklenburg Lander ticket will cover the whole day's travel from Rostock but if you wish to take the 9:03 from Rostock you will need single tickets for the s-bahn from Warnemünde to Rostock Hbf as this leg of the journey is before 9:00. Cost of the Lander ticket is 23 euros for 1 person + 4 euros for each additional person (max 4 persons on one ticket); single tickets from Warnemünde to Rostock Hbf 1.90 euros pp.

The Lander tickets can be bought on-line but it is just as easy to buy from a machine or the ticket office on the station. Tickets for the Palace cannot be bought in advance.

Anni

BTW. In my experience, if you have travelled on Italian trains you will find German trains very different; in comfort, efficiency, service, signage, announcements...............in fact in every way like a taste of Paradise compared to their southern counterparts :rolleyes:

Thank you very much for the info.We took the hi-speed train from Rome to Florence and found it very nice. Are you trying to say on the German trains we will be served Champagne and Bon-Bons?? LOL

Thank you for your appreciation.

Re the Italian trains..... Your mention just brought back the memory of the discomfort, unfriendly staff, chaos and missed trains through lack of info/signage that I have experienced every time I have made the journey from Genoa to Zurich (roughly once a year) but I am sure that others have had good experiences. I was wrong to generalise!

DB does not exactly do the 'champagne and bonbons' bit but at least the signage on both the train and the station is good, the trains arrive on and depart from the advertised platform and the staff are friendly and helpful; on main line trains most announcements are made in several languages and the staff are generally at least bi-lingual.

Hope you will not be disappointed :),

Anni

Hope you will not be disapointed :)

Anni

We are a family of four wanting to do this same excursion. I am comfortable driving in Germany. I am thinking of renting a car in Warnemunde rather than taking the train. Any thoughts on car vs train for visiting both sights?

Edited by jmps

We are a family of four wanting to do this same excursion. I am comfortable driving in Germany. I am thinking of renting a car in Warnemunde rather than taking the train. Any thoughts on car vs train for visiting both sights?

If you are comfortable driving in Germany then that is definitely the way to go as it makes much better use of your time. No getting to-and-from stations which are usually a bit of a walk from the town centres, waiting for connections, stress about missing trains etc.

Car rental is easy from Warnemünde. Using Europcar, Sixt or Hertz you can order on-line and the car will be waiting when your ship docks.

https://www.europcar.com/location/ge...al-warnemuende

http://www.sixt.com/car-rental/germa...nde-cruise-ctr

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/locat...il&eoag=RLGN70

By car from Warnemünde it would be possible to see both Schwerin and Wismar, explore the many lakes in the Schwerin area and visit Bad Doberan en route. There are many other small castles and interesting sites in the area which are not accessible by public transport.

As long as you do not go into Rostock you can drive the whole day on minor roads with very little traffic. Parking in Schwerin and Wismar is not usually problem. Other places which are open to the public usually have their own car parking facilities.

Anni

Thanks Anni! I will reserve a car in Warnemunde per your advice. It will be nice to have the flexibility. Knowing that parking is usually OK is good. I had reserved a car in Kiel but decided to take the train instead. We are going into Hamburg to see Miniatur Wunderland there.

Edited by jmps

Thanks Anni! I will reserve a car in Warnemunde per your advice. It will be nice to have the flexibility. Knowing that parking is usually OK is good. I had reserved a car in Kiel but decided to take the train instead. We are going into Hamburg to see Miniatur Wunderland there.

Hi,

Thank you for your appreciation.

Wise choice re the car ;) The traffic in the centre of Hamburg can be horrendous and I certainly would not want to try and park near the Wunderland.

Quickest way to the Wunderland from the main station is to take the U3 to the stop 'Baumwall', from there you can see the Wunderland on the other side of the canal.

If, after your visit, you have enough time :rolleyes:, you could walk along the river front promenade to the next station, 'Langdungsbrücken'. This is one of the most popular tourist areas in Hamburg. Old museum ships, cafes, souvenir shops, historical buildings and places to sit and just watch the life on the busy river.

From 'Langdungsbrücken' you have a choice of trains (S1, S2, S3 or U3) all of which go back to the Hauptbahnhof.

I hope you enjoy my favourite city.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

Anni, thanks for the additional Hamburg info. This is VERY helpful. Our family is really excited to see the Wunderland layout. We were so amazed to see the Youtube of it a few years ago and are SO happy to be able to see it in person.

• 1 month later...

If you go to Schwerin, does it matter if you stop at Schwerin Banhoff or Schwerin Mette? It seems like the Mette station would be closer to Schwerin castle and therefore less time to walk to it.

And, when you go from Schwein to Wismar, does it matter which train station you choose for Wismar? When i went to the bahn website, there were several options for Wismar.

If you go to Schwerin, does it matter if you stop at Schwerin Banhoff or Schwerin Mette? It seems like the Mette station would be closer to Schwerin castle and therefore less time to walk to it.

And, when you go from Schwein to Wismar, does it matter which train station you choose for Wismar? When i went to the bahn website, there were several options for Wismar.

Hi, in Schwerin the choice is yours. The distance to walk is pretty much the same but the Hbf is a modern station with lifts, a cafe and a pleasant walk beside a small lake to the centre of town viewing some beautiful buildings across the lake. The Hbf is also the main station where the train makes a longer stop and there are always other people getting off and on, you cannot miss your stop.

Mitte, however, is simply two platforms in a deep cutting, not even a ticket machine. The walk into town is across the shoppping centre car-park, through a large indoor shopping mall and down the main shopping street.

Mitte is only 2 mins from the Hbf and there are usually not many people to get off so you have to be ready as soon as the train leaves the Hbf. One cruiser reported that, as they were not aware you must push a button to open the doors and there was no one else getting off in Mitte, the train started again before they got off and they were stranded at the next station for an hour waiting for a train back into Schwerin. Better to be safe than sorry.

I use Mitte when going shopping but never with visitors as I don't think it is a very nice introduction to Schwerin.

Wismar only has one train train station, Wismar (Meckl) Bahnhof, the other options are bus stops.

Anni

Edited by Travelanni

I rented a car for the day at Warnemunde. It cost a bit more than train tickets, but it gave me the flexibility to go where I wanted, when I wanted, and not have to worry about train schedules, making connections, etc. which for us is MUCH more relaxing.

We visited Schwerin Castle, Lubeck, Wismar, and Rostock all in one day. Yes, that sounds like a whirlwind tour, but we didn't feel particularly rushed. And my wife had limited mobility at the time (on crutches), so we had to move fairly slow.

We had the benefit of a midnight departure, so we took our time and didn't show back up to the ship until around 9-10pm.

We drove to Schwerin first and spent about 2 hours at the Castle.

Then on to Lubeck and spent about 2-3 hours seeing the gate, market square, city walls, etc. and had lunch.

We didn't spend a long time in Wismar, maybe 1-2 hours. We saw some of the main sights and relaxed for a little while at an Eis Café (Ice Cream Shop) on one of the main market squares.

We drove back to Rostock and visited the old town section for an hour or so, then headed back to the port, dropped off the car and re-boarded the ship for a late dinner.

Full disclosure: I lived in Germany at the time and was accustomed to Autobahn driving, had my own GPS with Europe maps along, and I'd been to Berlin several times (not to mention I knew we were going back for a Berlin Philharmonic concert later that year), so visiting these Northern German cities was preferable than being on a bus all day for a Berlin excursion.

Edited by musicMAJ1042