Can I scuba if I am certified....

fosterfenger

Can I scuba if I am certified on any of the carribean Island, St Croix, Barbados, st kits...If so what all if do i Need to take along to show certification. We are going on a cruise and I am certified but do I have to do an excursion or can just rent tanks and go on my own?

Thanks!

Assuming by "certified" you mean you are certified as an Open Water (autonomous) diver by any of the recognized agencies (SSI, PADI, NAUI, etc); then you're certified to dive anywhere in the world. Therefore you can rent equipment and obtain air fills independently. You can go on a cruise ship SCUBA excursion, an independent excursion, or simply go diving with another certified diver (dive buddy).

However, if it's been more than 2 years since your last logged dive, a lot of places will want to see a refresher course.

Harris

Denver, CO

don't they cover this in a certification class anymore?

one addition to the answer above

you must present a certification card from a recognized agency .... 99% of the time, no card = no diving.

I have seen places that will CALL the agency and validate certification but this is rare. For example Disney will do this for folks who want to dive in 'big tank' at EPCOT and did not know this was even available and therefore did not bring their card on their otherwise land locked vacation.

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 3 weeks later...

Since you didn't recall the obvious answer of "your C-card" from your class, can I also remind you to renew your DAN (or other) dive insurance before you go?

Note: I have had some operators ask for the PADI medical form to be filled out before diving with them (others say it is just for students). If you have boxes you check "yes" to on it; I recommend filling one out and getting a Dr's signature before leaving. You don't want a nasty surprise if they ask for this.

I posted this question as we are going on a Cruise. My daughters Boyfriend is a commercial diver. "I" thought he was wrong that he could just walk into any surf shop and rent a tank. "I" would not think this is safe in a foreign country without being on an excursion. "I" wanted this clarified so Thanks for all the condescending and un necessary comments. It was more simple to just as then to explain the whole situation!!!!

I thought a commercial diver would be VERY aware of the rules .... maybe you should have just asked him . . . (you don't TRUST him??????)

you are welcome . . . for all the condescending and unnecessary remarks .... not a problem, ask anytime ....

"I" thought he was wrong that he could just walk into any surf shop and rent a tank. "I" would not think this is safe in a foreign country without being on an excursion.

Speaking of condescension and unnecessary comments: that kinda describes your own post... and the way you treat your daughter's boyfriend. ;)

I posted this question as we are going on a Cruise. My daughters Boyfriend is a commercial diver. "I" thought he was wrong that he could just walk into any surf shop and rent a tank. "I" would not think this is safe in a foreign country without being on an excursion. "I" wanted this clarified so Thanks for all the condescending and un necessary comments. It was more simple to just as then to explain the whole situation!!!!

You should have said that in your original post then. Since you used the term "I" it certainly sounded like you were the one planning on doing this - which made you sound like a bit of an (edit: a complete?) idiot to not know the answer. Scuba diving is a serious thing that people die doing, and you were asking clarification on possibly the MOST BASIC issue you could have come up with. If you hadn't said you were certified, I think most people (myself included) would have answered, that yes, your daughter's boyfriend really can just walk into any shop and rent a tank. As a diver, he is responsible for his safety- though I would check online reviews about places to get reliable air fills, but a foreign country is no more dangerous than the US.

from your OP:

We are going on a cruise and I am certified

I will reiterate- if he is a commercial diver, make sure he has DAN coverage. He very well may be covered for his diving through work, and not for leisure.

Edited by skittl1321