UK price reduction - I am sort of happy

We were discussing this yesterday and I cannot find the thread so I had to start a new one.

As I said, I was going to check the prices and ring up RCI to see if I could get the small price reduction that has been shown for the last couple of weeks.

I got a shock when I checked the prices. Instead of being a total of £2000, the room total was £1200 - for exactly the same room. :eek:

So I rang. They offered to reduce my booking by the peanuts it was advertised at, because this rate was for new bookings only.

I cancelled and rebooked. Now DH is angry at losing the deposit and only just sees that it is so in our advantage to rebook, the £300 that we lost is now not worth crying over.

With or without the deposit, yesterday I was facing a bill of £1700, today it is £1200.

I know it was unwise to book ahead, especially as we are driving to the ship so airfares did not come into the equation.

The whole policy does sour my RCI experience quite honestly.

So what´s it? Sort of happyor sour taste?

If it´s really leaving you with a sour taste, I think you need to reconsider your business decisions for the future.

It´s not as if there´s no options. Tons of different cruiselines out there, as well as options to book through other countries than the UK.

BTW,

you are lucky your cancel and rebook at a "for new bookings only" rate went through, as -according to many posts here - these things are frequently caught by RCI and red flagged.

Paul, it is difficult to say how I feel. I sure am glad that my bill is lower, I think it is knowing the different policies for different countries just makes me cross. I will certainly try my hardest to make a US booking next time.

I don't understand what you mean about the rate going through. You mean they won't let you book after losing your deposit? That would be crazy. Maybe it does happen. I certainly would have cancelled the whole trip and left it at that if so.

BTW,

you are lucky your cancel and rebook at a "for new bookings only" rate went through, as -according to many posts here - these things are frequently caught by RCI and red flagged.

They said that to me once when I wanted a reduction ('new bookings only'). I said I would cancel, and they told me I could not rebook. I said once I pay my cancellation fees I should be able to rebook anything I want and they agreed. I saved about $1100 on 2 cabins even after paying the fee. Since then I have tried to book more carefully.

They said that to me once when I wanted a reduction ('new bookings only'). I said I would cancel, and they told me I could not rebook. I said once I pay my cancellation fees I should be able to rebook anything I want and they agreed. I saved about $1100 on 2 cabins even after paying the fee. Since then I have tried to book more carefully.

It would be ridiculous to say that you could not just lose your deposit and rebook. You could rebook with husband as first passenger and him 'taking' you. Such silly rules.

I saved that amount on one cabin which was why I am really in shock. Ironically I have not been checking daily, I just happened to check because today I had time to spare and I was going to ask for the $100 reduction that had been showing for a few weeks to be applied.

Well done.You just have to remind yourself you are £500 better off than you were yesterday.

Yes and it really is thanks to Cruise critics because yesterday's thread made me resolve to ring today and lo and behold the price had suddenly done a nose dive.

Yes I really at the end of today, after a glass of wine I really do feel quite thankful.

Just noticed the insane price drops in the UK. 14th July 14 nights £1099 down from nearly £1300 last week. Luckily mine hasn't dropped - I would guess it is the most popular summer one out of the UK so that would explain why. Plus I got some lovely OBC with mine.

I'm waiting to hear back from someone tomorrow.

I've been told the revenue dept has ok'd something and the supervisor is waiting on the line managers approval for it.

Not sure what.Either the upgrade or the price drop but I'll find out tomorrow hopefully.

well no one phoned me so I phoned today to be told it was too late for the upgrade as there was no balcony gty available(I saw that already online) so I was very angry and said this should have been sorted out before now especially as I had been told that it was just waiting on the manager authorising it.Iwas told it would be passed to manager of the dept.

I phoned back as I didn't want to wait again for a phone call and was told the only thing I would be offered was $150pp obc which I'm not happy about after losing out on the upgrade. She said I couldn't get the price drop and there was no one else I could speak to as the renenue dept had made this decision.I said I wasn't sure and she said I had till the end of today to decde and call back.

Any thoughts?

We were discussing this yesterday and I cannot find the thread so I had to start a new one.

As I said, I was going to check the prices and ring up RCI to see if I could get the small price reduction that has been shown for the last couple of weeks.

I got a shock when I checked the prices. Instead of being a total of £2000, the room total was £1200 - for exactly the same room. :eek:

So I rang. They offered to reduce my booking by the peanuts it was advertised at, because this rate was for new bookings only.

I cancelled and rebooked. Now DH is angry at losing the deposit and only just sees that it is so in our advantage to rebook, the £300 that we lost is now not worth crying over.

With or without the deposit, yesterday I was facing a bill of £1700, today it is £1200.

I know it was unwise to book ahead, especially as we are driving to the ship so airfares did not come into the equation.

The whole policy does sour my RCI experience quite honestly.

I still think it is wiser to book early.

I booked about a year in advance for our next cruise and as well as receiving a large amount of OBC, I can now clearly see our cruise and cabin type has gone up by £1,700 :eek:

Also, booking early will guarantee you get the best cabin in the category you require.

I always worry that my purchase, whether it be a holiday or a handbag, will go down in price - my husband says to pay for it and then don't price check it again!

I don't find that easy, I always look :o

Just noticed the insane price drops in the UK. 14th July 14 nights £1099 down from nearly £1300 last week. Luckily mine hasn't dropped - I would guess it is the most popular summer one out of the UK so that would explain why. Plus I got some lovely OBC with mine.

my cruise last october dropped by £800 after i had paid the final payment and i got £775 refunded, that was with a big TA, we have booked a cruise for september and im hoping for another big price drop xxx

Must admit RCI and Celebrity have always passed on any price drops to us, the problem I had in the past was getting the TA's to contact the cruise line to do the paperwork. No reduction for us on our November cruise, our category of cabin is showing sold out but will check a bit nearer the time just incase.

I still think it is wiser to book early.

I booked about a year in advance for our next cruise and as well as receiving a large amount of OBC, I can now clearly see our cruise and cabin type has gone up by £1,700 :eek:

Also, booking early will guarantee you get the best cabin in the category you require.

I always worry that my purchase, whether it be a holiday or a handbag, will go down in price - my husband says to pay for it and then don't price check it again!

I don't find that easy, I always look :o

Wise to book early??? My mother in law has booked IOS sailing this may for £2400 for 2 in a inside cabin. My sister in law has Just booked this week for £1320 for 2 for a gty inside. Who is the wise one

That is for a guarantee inside.

Sadly as we have two cabins on that cruise, we cannot go for the GTY, even though we would probably save around £2,000 by doing so! As the cabins would probably be too far apart.

Royal Caribbean really do need to clarify the price drop situation and make it transparent for everyone to check if a new price is that one you are eligible for. Its just unfortunate that they drop the price like my situation after final payment you cant book and just loose the deposit.

Sadly as we have two cabins on that cruise, we cannot go for the GTY, even though we would probably save around £2,000 by doing so! As the cabins would probably be too far apart.

We have booked guarantee cabins three times, and each time the 2 or 4 cabins were together. Maybe we were lucky, but it seems to work for us

just to let you know I booked on Independence two weeks ago for 11th August 2 x inside GTY receive stateroom numbers a week after booking and they are together.

Archived