Casual Comfortable Dresses

JJinAK

Help! I have not purchased a dress in years but would really like to wear one next year on our cruise to the Carribean. I am looking for something that I can wear out in warm weather with sandals that is appropriate for a woman over 40. I don't feel comfortable in strapless but can do sleeveless. I am usually a size 14 but hope to tone up a bit before then. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Jules

I'm 40 and LOVE a sundress! Right now the JJill wearever line is on sale and I have a couple of their sleeveless dresses in red & black - I wear them for work and for casual - just wear a cardigan at work. Great with sandals, hit me at or just below the knee (they come in petite too, I think). I have some of the linen dresses too and while I love them for work and home, I don't tend to travel with linen. I don't mind the wrinkles that develop during a day, but they don't look so good on Day 2 ;-) I also picked up a cute green cotton sleeveless dress at the Chico outlet a few weeks ago - less than $20. I tend to buy plain base pieces and dress them up with scarves or patterned sweaters- that's just my style - so my dresses tend to be solid colors. Not all, but most.....

Lands End has some cute cotton/modal dresses on clearance now too. This one comes in prints or solids: http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-cotton-modal-pattern-fit-and-flare-dress/id_237136_59

(I like Lands End because I can order online when they have free shipping and return to a local Sears if it doesn't fit the way I like)

I have a couple long sleeve cotton old navy dresses but none for summer - they were all too skimpy for me, and my first requirement in a dress is that I'm able to wear a real bra:p

I suggest that you go to store and TRY THEM ON....if you don't normally wear an item, ordering online is a lengthy process...what with returns and all! Much easier to just hit some stores, and start trying on dresses!

At 40, you can wear pretty much anything you want, except for teen apparel!!!

Lands End has some cute cotton/modal dresses on clearance now too. This one comes in prints or solids: http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-cotton-modal-pattern-fit-and-flare-dress/id_237136_59

(I like Lands End because I can order online when they have free shipping and return to a local Sears if it doesn't fit the way I like)

That's a really nice dress. Sometimes the empire waists make me look pregnant, but when the waist is wide like this it comes down lower and is very flattering.

Thank you all so much for your comments. Unfortunately, we don't have any stores here that I can shop from. I am only able to shop in stores when I travel out for work, which is not too frequently. I appreciate all of the info on the stores that offer online.

I am going to check out Soma and LL Bean.

I really like that Lands End dress and just ordered it! I hope it works out for me.

Thanks so much for helping out. You are making this process so much less stressful!!

Jules

Have you tried Jjill dot com? They have nice summer dresses that can be dressed up or worn casual. I purchased two tank dresses from their online outlet and they are wonderful. Good quality, flattering and comfy. I really like that their simple styles are versatile. You can dress it up with jewelry and nice shoes for dinner, then wear it out on an excursion. Less packing! :)

5c2159e1-bbc3-4f39-b34e-2c507803dad8_zps765cf8c3.jpg

jjilllinendress_zpsed801be9.jpg

Also check out http://www.dream-ers.com , they specialize in non-traditional/casual 'bridal' dresses, but most of their dresses would be great for a cruise, and all can be customized free of charge to your figure.

See their airy cotton gauze, or cotton lace dresses. Perfect for the caribbean.

Seems like I've seen this exact same post on every thread dealing with dresses. Spam maybe?

Try Dress Barn, you can go there on line. I have bought a number of dresses there and have been quite satisfied. I especially like the ones that can practically be rolled in a ball, tossed in your suitcase and when you take them out, they are perfect.:D

Thanks again for all of these excellent ideas. I think I am ordering one from JJill sale this weekend!

Jules

I love the JJill dresses . I have several long linen ones that I wore to dinner with jewelry and a short one that I also bought the matching scarf for .

Love my 2 Chico's "Maxi" dresses! They can be dressed up or down, and are SO comfortable! It's like wearing your nightgown out in public...and you can eat to your heart's content, too, with nothing restricting your waistline.

I have a couple long sleeve cotton old navy dresses but none for summer - they were all too skimpy for me, and my first requirement in a dress is that I'm able to wear a real bra:p

I like that dress, also.

Pretty, easy to pack, wear with strappy sandals or flats or whatever.

Archived