Alaskan Landtour/Cruise on the Summit, info please

stretch

Looking seriously at the Landtour/Cruise on the Summit for June 05. Would like any information from someone who's been there and done that, or can find more information about Cruisetour #11.
How's the food, entertainment, nightlife?
Not impressed with RCI as of late.
Stretch

AAYE PARANDAA!

Carnival Celebration 08/97
Carnival Fantasy 02/99
RCI Explorer 05/02
RCI Brilliance 04/03 The Barcrawler Legend Begins
RCI Brilliance 03/04 The Return of the Barcrawlers
2005 Princess or Celebrity TBD

email address: [email]Stretchcrawler@yahoo.com[/email]

We're taking the Summit Northward on June 4th, cruise only. There's not going to be too many on the ship, at least not very many who have ever heard of this board. I started a thread a couple of times with very little response...Anyway, we were on the Infinity, sister to the Summit, last spring. We loved Celebrity, we left with no complaints, the food was very good, the service was great. I was not impressed with the entertainment at all. I'm one of those people that pick a ship by it's destination, but I have heard nothing but great reviews on the Summit and am looking forward to seeing Alaska!

Til our next cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;4;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Facination 1998
Grandeur of the Seas 1999
Nordic Empress 2000
Voyager of the Seas 2001
Facination 2002
Infinity 2003
Summit to Alaska 2004

Hi Stretch,

We are looking into Alaska for 2005 also. Here's what my travel agent said: You have to take Cleebrity because their Landtours are the best and you should do the land tour part first and then do the cruise. This travel agent is a big Royal Caribbean fan, so I was shocked when she said we had to go Celebrity (which we would anyway). I hope this helps a little bit. If we go it wouldn't be until July or August.

The food on our past Celebrity cruises has been very good to great. The entertainment is okay, but I don't go on a cruise just for the entertainment. Nightlife was fine for me, but then I'm not a crazy partier. Most cruises are what you make of them anyway.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;4;18;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
7 Night Eastern Carribean on Infinity

Big Red Boat II – New York to Canada/New England, August 2000
Regal Empress – New York to Canada/New England, August 2001
Millennium – 10 Night Southern Caribbean, August 2002
Millennium – 13 Night Mediterranean, August 2003
Infinity – Eastern Caribbean, April 2004

Stretch, we're doing the #10 cruisetour Summit NB 8/13/04. I chose NB with land post-cruise b/c we live on the east coast, and I know we're going to be thoroughly jetlagged for the first few days. I didn't want to sleep through the sightseeing coach and train trips. I'd hate to go to Alaska then admit I didn't *see* it! Of course, this way Cinderella will be heading off to bed a lot earlier than midnight on the first formal night, but the prince will be going with me. ;-)

I did a lot of research and couldn't find anything really definitive on whether it's better to do the land pre- or post-cruise so decided on the basis of schedule (mid-Aug works well) and time zones.

We were also considering an HAL cruisetour, but our TA was much more positive about X, and the X land portion had two nights in Denali which appealed to us. It's our first cruise so we had no experience to fall back on.

I'll post a review after we return.

M/R

To all fellow Alaska travelers. One word of advice book early! HawaiiApril although it seems like your ship is empty it isn't. Just spoke to my TA and she assured me most ships are filled to capacity.She had a client just last week that wanted to go to Alaska and she had a hard time finding them a room.We booked last June on board Century so we were able to get the room we wanted. The best rooms go fast.

We're doing the Summit in July...the 13-night cruisetour version...So, when we're done, I'll probably do a nice long review on it, so stay tuned...

We are doing it Southbound, so as to get the land portion done first and the more relaxing cruise potion later...then we're tascking on two nights post-cruise in Vancouver...

Take care...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

I booked this trip a year ago when I got off the Infinity and got a corner FV. I am excited about the huge balcony! It is hard to wait sooo long. I can hardly keep my mind on my work already and I have 6 more weeks to go. I have never been on a cruise that wasn't sold out, but this is the first time that I couldn't find a ton of people going with me on this board. I may not get over it [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Til our next cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;6;4;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Facination 1998
Grandeur of the Seas 1999
Nordic Empress 2000
Voyager of the Seas 2001
Facination 2002
Infinity 2003
Summit to Alaska 2004

Thank's for all the info. We also decided that we would do the landtour first for 5 days and then sail south. This will be my first time to Alaska, my DW lived there for 6 years, BS (before Stretch) of course. I've already talked myself into it, just can't wait to read more about it. I've heard so many good things about Celebrity and this Alaskan itinerary that I didn't even consider Princess, and I'm currently boycotting RCI.
Stretch

Barcrawlers, is there anywhere they won't go?

Carnival Fantasy 02/99
RCI Explorer 05/02
Celebrity Summit 06/05
Barcrawlers in Alaska

Hi Stretch,
We did Cruisetour 19A with X last July (Fairbanks 2 nights, train to Denali and overnight, train to Talkeetna and overnight, coach to Aleyeska [via Anchorage] and overnight) and then to Seward and the Summit south to Vancouver. Without a word of doubt, this was absolutely The Best [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] vacation we have ever had!!!!! (and we have travelled a fair bit over our many years.) Jennifer was our amazingly, wonderful, fabulous (do you get the idea?) Tour Director and she worked so hard to ensure that a very diverse group of approx 40 people enjoyed themselves to the fullest. This group evolved into a very cohesive social network -- which came in handy on the cruise. We had previously taken a 7-day southbound on Princess in 1999. We loved it so much, that when we wanted to celebrate DH's 60th, it was just a matter of which cruisetour on which line. Celebrity's coaches and train cars are lovely. They separate the driver and guide functions so that you are spoiled, spoiled and spoiled some more. Alaska is breathtaking; this was a fab way to experience it.
The cruise part was a little dicey for some people because the ship suffered damage on the previous northbound cruise. Until the Coast Guard & Lloyd's of London approved a departure, we sat in Seward. The weather was warm & sunny, and the staff on the ship tried to be very upbeat. However, Seward is limited in its offerings. For those of us coming off the cruisetour though, we already had a built-in social network who we could share a laugh with over drinks and meals. In fact, many of us met for drinks in the Martini Bar every evening -- we still giggle when looking at some of the photos ... The group was so cohesive that we have been lucky enough to have a few mini-reunions during the time since the cruise. Alas, scheduling conflicts have prevented us from booking with the same people again.
We wish we were going with you. We wish you bon voyage. If you have an experience only partly as fabulous as ours, you are going to have one of the trips of your life!
Sorry for being so long winded: it's just so easy to get carried away about this...
--Cat & Dave

Just booked the Summit for Alaska in July 2005. We were very lucky and got cabin 6145[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It was not listed on Celebrity's website as an available cabin...just looked like a great room and asked..there it was! The point is call Celebrity directly and ask it may not appear on the website, but more cabins are available than what is listed, as I had inquired about a couple others. they were not on the site but they were available. Book early though to get the best price and the cabin you want. If the price goes down, you can always have it adjusted.

Stretch,

Nice to see you here on the Celebrity board. Hope you find the info your looking for.

Rusty

[img]http://www.animatedgif.net/animals/dogs/stikdog_e0.gif[/img]

CARRIBEAN PRINCESS JAN 2005
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2005;01;22;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

CARNIVAL'S LEGEND JAN 2003
CELEBRITY'S CENTURY DEC 2003
[img]http://www.animatedgif.net/animals/dogs/cflbird2dog_e0.gif[/img]

Thank's Rusty, this is a much quieter bunch than on the RCI board.
Stretch

Barcrawlers on ice, where will we turn up next?

Carnival Fantasy 02/99
RCI Explorer 05/02
Celebrity Summit 06/10/2005
Barcrawlers in Alaska

Hi Steve-

We are not going till 2005 - the July 29th sailing northbound on the Summit. Just booked it a few days ago[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

What exactly is the landtour and where can I find info on it? I am interested on taking the train to Juneau for the way home, but have not gotten info on that yet, too early. I know we will get to Vancouver a day early, but other than that I don't have any other info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kathleen P.:
What exactly is the landtour and where can I find info on it?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The landtour is the portion of a cruisetour either prior to or following the cruise...You can book one through the cruise line along with your cruise...Generally, they last about 3 to 6 extra nights and there are several variations...Pre-cruise for southbound cruises will generally start in either Anchorage or Fairbanks, most pass through or loop through Denali (Mt. McKinley) and end at the ship on embarkation day...

For Northbound itineraries, they typically start at the ship and end in either Fairbanks or Anchorage for a flight home...

There is often some combination of glass dome covered rail car and bus and they put you up in nice hotels and usually include some excursions...

The one we're taking has us fly into Fairbanks, spend two nights there including a paddleboat ride and a native village...Then we go by train to Denali where we have a 7 hour nature tour...then we go by train to Talkeetna and a night in Talkeetna, then by bus to Anchorage for a night, then to Alyeska (where we have a gondola ride to the top of the mountain), then to meet the ship in Seward...

These trips can be somewhat costly and the meals are on your own...

Some folks choose to just spend a few days pre- or post-cruise on their own and travel to Denali...

For a look at Celebrity's offerings, go here:

[url="http://www.celebrity.com/pdf/ebrochure_alaska_2004.pdf"]http://www.celebrity.com/pdf/ebrochure_alaska_2004.pdf[/url]

Good luck...

Summit, July 3, 2004: Alaska: 13 night cruisetour

Thank You sooooo much.

Sounds ike you have a wonderful adventure planned - wow. I'm taking notes and as the date approaches, I will start booking. I would think 10 months in advance should give me plenty of time. Until then I will reasearch (which to me is half the fun)

Thanks Again!

Bruin Steve, thank you for the links, I printed them out so we can see what we're going to be doing. I only wish it was this year instead of June next year, but the anticipation will just heighten the experience. Thank's alot.
Stretch

Archived