Yellow Fever Immunization Requirements

marinerwendy

We are booked on the 2012 Prinsendam Grand South America Voyage, which includes the Amazon River passage. In the brochure, in mentions that Yellow Fever Shots may be required.

Due to existing medical conditions, my DH isn't able to receive this immunization. Is this a problem?--Thanks for any insight.

All you need to do is go get a statement from your doctor on proper stationary and signed that the person, because of health concerns /reasons is not able to take the Yellow Fever shot. This is good enough for the cruise lines. Brazil, I would check with the embassy to see if they will except it. Have a good cruise.

I would say definitely check the policies for the cruise line, any airlines and the countries you will be visiting. A doctor who specializes in travel vaccinations will be a great resource too. Our travel doctor has been extremely helpful. My DH has a depressed immune system so we always get the vaccinations required. Fortunately he has been able to get all shots needed. He even had to get an MMR shot for one trip.

When we visited Tanzania, I remember there were restrictions for traveling in some other countries (even on a connecting flight) after having been in Tanzania without specific vaccinations.

There are quite a few confusing issues when traveling to and from countries with "exotic" diseases.

Brazil requires proof of yellow fever vaccination if you are arriving from certain other countries in South America or Africa that are known for yellow fever outbreaks. I have been researching this issue because my college-aged son and I are thinking of taking a trip there this summer. It appears that as long as we start our trip in Brazil, it is not required. However, if I am able to get one (like your husband I have health issues that may make it impossible), I plan on it.

Cathy-CA, has explained it the way it was to me. Brazil requires it if you have been to several other countries first - one being Devils Island, Fr. Guiana (which you go to After ?, I'm not sure).

But we got the shot for Africa, it is good for 10 years, needed it in 2009 for Brazil and will need it again 2012 for Brazil again. All that in & out on the same shot:D.

Important to us, also, was the tetnus & pneumonia shots.

Brazil visas are good for 5 years (or they were in 2009) - so try and go 2X within the time frame. Expensive getting the shot & visa. but that's the 'cost of travel'

Enjoy,

M.A.

Originally we were scheduled to do an Amazon cruise in Nov 2007 -- but the Prinsendam had to go into an emergency dry dock. HAL automatically moved us to the Dec 2008 Amazon cruise. But our yellow fever shots were up in Jan 2008. DH can not get the shots anymore due to medical problems. We called HAL and they informed us -- at that time -- we could bring a letter -- but we may not be allowed off the ship in some of the ports. So we cancelled the cruise.

Brazil visas are good for 5 years (or they were in 2009) - so try and go 2X within the time frame. Expensive getting the shot & visa. but that's the 'cost of travel'.

We just got our visas back this week and they are good for 10 years. They also seem to have slacked off on no visas before 90 days of your arrival, but was never 100% clear on that, but didn't have any particular problem. We did submit our itineraries which showed the amazon, but we also attached our yellow fever shots that are also good for 10 years. Guess all the more incentive to return in the future.

Something fairly recent and relates directly to the topic at hand:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28584079/ns/travel-cruise_travel/

Holland America’s policy states that if a physician concludes that a yellow fever vaccine should not be administered for medical reasons only, the traveler needs to get an exemption letter and bring it with them on the ship. The exemption letter must be signed and dated on the physician’s letterhead stationery and it should bear the stamp used by health department and official immunization centers to validate the International Certificate of Vaccine or Prophylaxis.

Reasons other than medical contraindications are not acceptable for exemption from vaccination. The traveler should be advised that issuance of a waiver does not guarantee that the destination country will accept it; on arrival at the destination the traveler may be faced with quarantine, refusal of entry or vaccination on site.

My advice is to make an appointment at a good travel medicine clinic. We did 'on our own' extended travels in both Asia and South America and their knowledge, specific to the countries we'd visit, the standard at which we were travelling and our age, was incredible.

We have a great gp but they are usually not up to date on travel medicines.

In the end we were advised to not get yellow fever but were given an official looking document with enough age exemption stamps and stickers which would scare off any official unable to read English.

And cruising to such areas is even less risky than our 3* and 4* hotels and travel.

Something fairly recent and relates directly to the topic at hand:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28584079/ns/travel-cruise_travel/

Holland America’s policy states that if a physician concludes that a yellow fever vaccine should not be administered for medical reasons only, the traveler needs to get an exemption letter and bring it with them on the ship. The exemption letter must be signed and dated on the physician’s letterhead stationery and it should bear the stamp used by health department and official immunization centers to validate the International Certificate of Vaccine or Prophylaxis.

Reasons other than medical contraindications are not acceptable for exemption from vaccination. The traveler should be advised that issuance of a waiver does not guarantee that the destination country will accept it; on arrival at the destination the traveler may be faced with quarantine, refusal of entry or vaccination on site.

tcook52,-- Thank you for that link!---I am astonished that HAL does not address this topic better before booking-- As the last time we cruised with Holland America, there were a number of passengers "Over 60 Years of Age"

tcook52,-- Thank you for that link!---I am astonished that HAL does not address this topic better before booking-- As the last time we cruised with Holland America, there were a number of passengers "Over 60 Years of Age"

Glad it helped. :)

As a TA I had clients in a similiar position a few years back and learned much for that experience but largely because I kept digging not because the policies were well stated. That is, of course, just MHO.

When we checked about yellow fever shots with the doctor at our immunization clinic she said that they do not vaccinate people over 65 because of the risks - she gave us official letters stating that policy

and that is what we took with us and that was accepted.

• 5 months later...

What was the final outcome of the Yellow Fever Shot research ? Time is getting closer now for the cruise. We would like to get things all set this summer then have the rest of the time for last minute things.

We have quite a few tours planned already and some of them have openings for more cruisers.

Wendy & Rusty hope you join us on the roll call for this voyage,

MaryAnn

When we checked about yellow fever shots with the doctor at our immunization clinic she said that they do not vaccinate people over 65 because of the risks - she gave us official letters stating that policy

and that is what we took with us and that was accepted.

Interesting. My husband and I are over 65 and we just had the yellow fever shot for our BA to Ft Lauderdale leg of the cruise given to us by Kaiser Permanente. We were told a month before the cruise that we would need it even though we hadn't been in Brazil. Can't remember which country required it.

Just had to share my yellow fever story. Just completed a 30 day cruise which required this. Contacted HAL...we were told we DEFINITELY needed this or would be unable to baord the ship. Went to our doctor, who referred us to an infectious disease type MD. MD gave me a letter saying I did not need a yesllow fever vaccination..but gave me two or three other shots . Day we embarked, no one said boo about this. Never ANY problem getting off at all the ports. Just my story, for what it's worth...

Just had to share my yellow fever story. Just completed a 30 day cruise which required this. Contacted HAL...we were told we DEFINITELY needed this or would be unable to baord the ship. Went to our doctor, who referred us to an infectious disease type MD. MD gave me a letter saying I did not need a yesllow fever vaccination..but gave me two or three other shots . Day we embarked, no one said boo about this. Never ANY problem getting off at all the ports. Just my story, for what it's worth...

HAL asked for our yellow fever record when we boarded in Buenos Aires. This was this February.

Archived