medical history/liability waiver/ Princess

compozer

Princess requires a medical history/liability waiver for their scuba excursions.

1. How far back will they allow - my son has one dated from February that he needed for his Dive Master certification - will it be ok?

2. A year ago, their form was available to download from the excursion page but I can't find it now.

I called Princess but they didn't know anything about it.

thanks for any help.

Sandy

I called Princess yesterday and spoke to Nicole. She was great and a diver herself. She went to the excursion people and got an answer for me.

This is what I was referring to:

A medical history/liability waiver must be completed prior to participating on this tour.

For a dive excursion on their list in Maui a couple years ago there was a medical history form that you could download and you had to have your doctor sign it but they canceled that excursion before I had a chance to print a copy of it.

So - this waiver is just the normal legal waiver we all sign whenever we go on any dive charter and there is nothing that you have to have your doctor sign.

It's probably very similar to the PADI/RSC medical questionnaire:

https://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/forms/pdf/10063-ver2-0.pdf

For PADI training if any of the questions on the first page are marked "YES" a Doctor's signoff (Page 2) is requested. Pages 3 through 6 of the form are clarifying information for the doctor about specific risks of diving with a given condition.

IME (PADI training) a doctor's signoff is valid for a year so if you have one from February it's probably a good idea to bring along a copy whether they end up asking for it or not.

Edited by Underwatr

Earlier this year Princess delivered the dive waiver form from each operator on the first day of the cruise to our cabin with a note to please fill out each form and return to the excursion desk.

Earlier this year Princess delivered the dive waiver form from each operator on the first day of the cruise to our cabin with a note to please fill out each form and return to the excursion desk.

That doesn't seem very helpful if you need a doctor's signature. They really ought to make the form available ahead of time. Do they require that if you have certain medical conditions (like most dive charter's do) or do they just require a waiver from the diver?

Edited by skittl1321

skittl,

You do not need a doctor's signature.

This kind of confusing. One and a half years ago, the waiver that Princess said was required for the dive excursion WAS one that your doctor had to sign. As I said, I called my doctor and she said she would sign it BUT when I went to download the form to print a copy, the excursion was gone. I called Princess and no one knew anything about it or why it was no longer available.

I figured the same form was required now and I figured the reference to "medical history" meant it was the same form from before. This is from one of the dive excursions I signed up for that I was referring to when I posted this question:

Special Notes

All participants must demonstrate that they can clear a fully flooded mask before departure. Certified divers must present their Open Water certification card to participate. A medical history/liability waiver must be completed prior to participating on this tour. Certain medical conditions may prevent your participation. Possible dive sites include Overheat Reef, Pillar Coral, Deep Eel Garden, Wayne's Place, and others on the northwest side of the island.

So to repeat myself - When I called Princess and spoke to a different lady, I was told that

You do not need to have a doctor fill it out.

Standard dive waiver does not required a doctors signature. If you are a certified diver you have seen the standard form. If you check yes to anything you need to always have a current doctors release to dive anywhere. I find Princess providing all the forms at once very helpful.

Enjoy your cruise and what ever excursions you choose.

If you check yes to anything you need to always have a current doctors release to dive anywhere..

That's actually not true. A number of dive ops use a waiver that is not PADI's medical waiver; therefore even if you have those conditions you don't need a doctor's signature. (The op I'm booked with in Cozumel said you only need a doctor's signature to take a class, not to dive with them.)

If they use the PADI waiver, you would need one if you have one of those issues. Which is why being handed the form on the boat really isn't useful if it ends up being the PADI one and you didn't bring your doctor's form with you.

That's actually not true. A number of dive ops use a waiver that is not PADI's medical waiver; therefore even if you have those conditions you don't need a doctor's signature. (The op I'm booked with in Cozumel said you only need a doctor's signature to take a class, not to dive with them.)

If they use the PADI waiver, you would need one if you have one of those issues. Which is why being handed the form on the boat really isn't useful if it ends up being the PADI one and you didn't bring your doctor's form with you.

Every dive form I have been given on a Princess cruise came directly from the dive shop not Princess. If you check yes I would think you should always have a current doctors release.

Good luck and safe diving.