Princess Wilderness Resort Food Prices?

dennbr9

Am looking to do a Princess Alaska Cruise with a Land Tour which includes two different Princess Wilderness Lodge stays of two days each.

Looking for information based on the last couple years of experience please.

Princess offers this as with and without included meals and was looking for information on meal prices at the Lodges to judge if worth the $300 a day difference for two people.

Two more days are in Fairbanks where I know I can have other options for meals, but figure the lodges are not near many other options of places to eat.

Thank you for any information.

There are sample menus ( with prices) on the princesslodges web site.

At the McKinley Princess you'd need to take the shuttle into Talkeetna to find other dining options. At Denali there are quite a few option in Glitter Gulch, which is the strip mall area where all the big cruise hotels are.

Thanks, Menus help for sure.

Other two nights are in Fairbanks so other dining options should not be a big issue.

If anyone has booked the Tours at Connoisseur Level, what did you feel about the added benefits?

Dennis

We did the Connoisseur Level tour in 2013. In our opinion it was VERY much worth the difference in price. Special rooms at the Denali Lodge (cooled rooms as it was in the 90s when we got there), air conditioned bus on the Tundra Wilderness Tour, dedicated rail car for our group only. Last but not least an "unannounced" wine pairing dinner on our first night in Fairbanks.

Hey Dennis,

We're doing a 5 night pre-cruise tour and then saling southbound on Celebrity's Millie next July. Hope you and the misses are doing well.

Hi Mike! Good to run into you.

Hope you two are doing well also.

Dennis

We did the Connoisseur Level tour in 2013. In our opinion it was VERY much worth the difference in price. Special rooms at the Denali Lodge (cooled rooms as it was in the 90s when we got there), air conditioned bus on the Tundra Wilderness Tour, dedicated rail car for our group only. Last but not least an "unannounced" wine pairing dinner on our first night in Fairbanks.

I guess the question is how many of these items were also included in the Princess Explorer Level? Probably not the wine pairing dinner but DW does not drink wine. Looking at the brochure the main difference is included meals on the Connoisseur level but everything else looks to be the same.

Dennis

I guess the question is how many of these items were also included in the Princess Explorer Level? Probably not the wine pairing dinner but DW does not drink wine. Looking at the brochure the main difference is included meals on the Connoisseur level but everything else looks to be the same.

Dennis

Unless I'm missing something what I see as the difference is Explorer is 3 to 5 days, Connoisseur is 5 to 8 days. Comparing the two 5 day tours the difference is the Explorer's only full day is in Fairbanks and your first day is in Anchorage. On the Connoisseur as mentioned your meals are included, you spend a full day in Denali and full day at McKinley including arrival days and departure days. At Denali you have the longer Tundra Wilderness Tour plus an evening Dinner show. On neither Connoisseur 5 day tour do you go to Fairbanks.

If you book the cruise through Princess it is about $1,000.00 more for the Connoisseur Tour. Which I think is acceptable considering the tours, meals and longer time at McKinley and Denali.

Edited by born2cruize

Unless I'm missing something what I see as the difference is Explorer is 3 to 5 days, Connoisseur is 5 to 8 days. Comparing the two 5 day tours the difference is the Explorer's only full day is in Fairbanks and your first day is in Anchorage. On the Connoisseur as mentioned your meals are included, you spend a full day in Denali and full day at McKinley including arrival days and departure days. At Denali you have the longer Tundra Wilderness Tour plus an evening Dinner show. On neither Connoisseur 5 day tour do you go to Fairbanks.

If you book the cruise through Princess it is about $1,000.00 more for the Connoisseur Tour. Which I think is acceptable considering the tours, meals and longer time at McKinley and Denali.

Both levels offer much the same Itinerary, including both having a six day option in the Brochure I got on board Emerald last week. Both ones we are looking at are identical schedules of 2 days in Fairbanks, two days at McKinley and two days at Denali followed by the Cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver.

Both have the same train to and from Denali, same lodges, and a Wilderness tour included. You can upgrade the one on Explorer to match the tour on Connoisseur. Price difference is $700 pp and only appears to be "most" meals included, a wine pairing dinner, and a dedicated Tour Director on the Connoisseur level.

I have my TA getting some info from Princess too, just looking for info from recent visitors. With the six days it is about $117 a day so may just go for it but looking to be as well informed as I can. We have time as we are looking at summer of 16.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by dennbr9

We've not done connoisseur but I've read numerous reviews. I believe you receive vouchers for multi course dinners in the lodges and at Denali you attend a dinner show event. Breakfast buffet is included where it is offered. I think the value depends on your style of eating.

We did not find the a la carte lodge prices to be that high. A lot of the restaurants are Applebee's like with casual menus. Lunch time sandwiches were in the range of $12.99.

Denali had the most food options and the best food, they had a couple main restaurants. The nicer one offered early bird prime rib or salmon dinners for roughly $20.00 per person, not multi course meals. The more casual restaurant had a nice Applebee's type menu for Applebee's type prices plus a few dollars, we got a steak, potato and small salad on the same plate for $15 or 20 dollars. There was a sandwich shop and a pizza parlor. Some people walked across the street to the glitter gulch area for pizza or sandwiches.

Reviews I've read were mostly positive because you receive a more in depth experience with a tour guide and some extra activities like the dinner show. Your day is more scheduled since you are doing more things with your group and your evenings are scheduled. Some people may prefer free time to relax on their own.

I don't think you will break even on the food component verses eating on your own but the overall experience might be worth it.

Very interesting. I have been in Denali a lot for over 10 years and have never seen an air-con bus on the Denali Park Road. They must be very few and far between.

Reviews I've read were mostly positive because you receive a more in depth experience with a tour guide and some extra activities like the dinner show. Your day is more scheduled since you are doing more things with your group and your evenings are scheduled. Some people may prefer free time to relax on their own.

I don't think you will break even on the food component verses eating on your own but the overall experience might be worth it.

Thinking you may be right at this point.

Thanks

Dennis

We are doing the Connoisseur Tour after our Cruise beginning May 30th, here is what is included:

June 6th:

RAIL: WHITTIER TO TALKEETNA

Direct to the Wilderness Rail: Whittier to Talkeetna Prior to boarding, you will need to present a government issued photo I.D. along with your Welcome Envelope, so make sure they are handy in your carry on tote bag. You will meet your Tour Director aboard the train. Your travel time to Talkeetna is approximately 5 1/2 hours (174 miles) with the train scheduled to depart Whittier at 7:15 a.m. and arrive in Talkeetna at 12:45 p.m. Please note that luggage storage on the train is limited to the area immediately beneath your feet.

LUNCH ABOARD TRAIN

Lunch aboard the train Service includes a non-alcoholic beverage, one entree, dessert, tax, and 15% gratuity. A meal voucher will be given to you on the train. It's not redeemable for cash and is only valid on the train.

June 7th:

BREAKFAST AT MOUNTAIN VIEW REST.

Breakfast at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge A meal voucher will be included in your welcome envelope upon arrival and is only valid at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge's Mountain View Restaurant. Service includes non-alcoholic beverage, one entree, tax and 15% gratuity. Not redeemable for cash.

June 8th:

EXCLUSIVE COACH: MCKINLEY TO DENALI

Motorcoach: McKinley to Denali On this day, your luggage will be transported separately to Denali and will not arrive until early evening. Therefore, we strongly recommend clothing and footwear appropriate for your tours and activities on this day. Keep your rain jacket, travel documents and medications with you. Travel time is approximately 2 1/4 hours (112 miles).

2 COURSE LUNCH AT KING SALMON

Two course lunch at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge A meal voucher will be included in your welcome envelope upon arrival and is only valid at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge's King Salmon Restaurant. Service includes non-alcoholic beverage, appetizer or soup or salad, one entree, tax, and 15% gratuity. Not redeemable for cash.

MUSIC OF DENALI DINNER THEATER

Music of Denali Dinner Theatre Relive the Alaska wilderness adventure! Discover the legend of the first expedition to the summit of Mt. McKinley in a rollicking musical comedy that will have you clapping and singing along with the cast right up to the finale. Enjoy a hearty, family style meal featuring smokehouse bbq, Alaska salmon and mouthwatering accompaniments served prior to show time. Complimentary coffee and tea are served. Spirits are available for purchase. This feel-good show takes you to new heights of entertainment - all the way to the summit of "The Great One"! Tour is 2 hours (including 1 hour show) Notes: Ages 5 and under are free.

June 9th:

SOURDOUGH BREAKFAST

Sourdough Breakfast at Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge Start your morning with a quick stop at the Music of Denali Theater where you can enjoy a hearty buffet breakfast. A meal voucher will be included in your welcome envelope upon arrival and is only valid at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Service includes non-alcoholic beverage, buffet breakfast and 15% gratuity. Not redeemable for cash.

TUNDRA WILDERNESS TOUR DEPART 7:00-7:30A

Morning Tundra Wilderness Tour Learn about the history, culture and wildlife of Denali National Park. A morning Tundra Wilderness Tour takes you deep into the six million acres of untouched wilderness for the best wildlife and Mt. McKinley vistas. Travel to at least Toklat River (mile 53). This tour is approximately 7-8 hours in duration and includes a box lunch. Due to Park Service regulations, school buses are used. The buses do not have restrooms; however, rest stops are made every 90 minutes. Please check your Welcome Envelope upon arrival for your exact departure time and tour number. Tour times are subject to change without previous notice. The tour departs between 7-7:30 am.

June 10th:

BREAKFAST AT KING SALMON REST.

Breakfast at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge A meal voucher will be included in your welcome envelope upon arrival and is only valid at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge's King Salmon Restaurant. Service includes non-alcoholic beverage, one entree, tax and 15% gratuity. Not redeemable for cash.

COACH: DENALI TO FAIRBANKS HOTEL

Motorcoach: Denali to Fairbanks Travel time is approximately 3 1/2 hours (121 miles).

June 11th:

BREAKFAST

Breakfast in Fairbanks A meal voucher will be included in your welcome envelope upon arrival and is only valid in Fairbanks. Service includes non-alcoholic beverage, one entree, tax and 15% gratuity. Not reedemable for cash.

AM GOLD DREDGE 8/PM RIVERBOAT

Gold Dredge 8 & Sternwheeler Cruise Tour Enjoy a close up view of the TransAlaska pipeline and a presentation about the history and operation. Then hop aboard the hand-built replica of the narrow gauge Tanana Valley Railroad, which delivered supplies to gold camps in the early 1900s. The conductor will regale you with stories and songs from days of yore along the way. You will then tour Gold Dredge #8, a National Historical Monument. After your tour, you have a chance to pan for gold yourself. You will find gold - we guarantee it! After panning, visit the gift ship and enjoy complimentary coffee and fresh homemade cookies prior to reboarding the train for your return trip. Next, board the only remaining authentic Alaskan sternwheeler for a cruise along the Chena and Tanana rivers. The Riverboat Discovery features an open sun deck, and heated indoor viewing areas equipped with video monitors. Along the way, you will see a bush pilot perform a takeoff and landing demonstration, watch a sled dog demonstration and stop by the Old Chena Indian Village for a glimpse into Alaskan life and history. This tour is narrated and complimentary coffee and donuts are served along the way. Lunch is included at the riverboat landing.

June12th:

FAIRBANKS-Last day, checking out.

This is directly off my itinerary. This is also a guided tour, so the guide will book your dining times, I believe. Not sure what else the guided tour guide will do for us, but we shall see. I thought I read somewhere about at tour guides wine thing in one of the hotels but I can't see to find it.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the times! I haven't booked yet, but was very curious to this. Did you get all of this after you had booked? I have been doing my last minute research and like to know as much as I can beforehand.

Yes once I booked, I was able to log on to Princess under Booked Guests/my booking. It really spells it out. I can tell you it was about $1,000 cheaper to do the cruise first then Land tour.

Edited by Sheaboys

Looks like yours is one night at McKinley Lodge and not two.

What do they do with your luggage on the Train if only space is what is under your seat?

You talked me right out of the Wilderness Tundra Tour;-) 7-8 hours in a Schoolbus sounds like slow torture, especially for my DW with a bad back.

Friends advised us to do the Tour first since it is such a busy period of time and the Cruise is s chance to relax a bit afterward. Have not priced them out but suppose timing could effect it also.

Dennis

Yes we have 2 nights there. What happens is, when leaving the cruise you put your cruise clothes and items you won't need in it's bag, put the tags "meet me in Fairbanks". Then the luggage you need for the tour go ahead of you with "meet me at hotel". They advise you use a carryon or backpack of essentials, passport, medications etc. It says you leave your suitcase outside your room the morning you leave that have tags "meet me at the next hotel". So in your backpack again will go items you need for the day, this stays with you on the train.

If you do it backwards and land first, your cruise items will have tags that say "meet me at cruise", and then you proceed the same way as mentioned above. When I first began looking into land, I was thinking all our luggage stays with us and we have to deal with it. With Princess they take care of everything and from the reviews I read, and I have read alot, it seems pretty seamless.

And yes, the land portion is taxing, lots of early mornings and long rides. I have not read any negatives about the Tundra Tour, it is long, but all the reviews I read, it is well worth it, many said to upgrade to this tour as opposed to the other tour. There is another Cruisetour that does the other one instead. Yes we are doing a 6 night land, so we have 2 nights each at the 3 stops. They have many other types, with less nights or more nights.

The way we looked at it, we can rest when we get home. Kids will be out of school (we are in our early 40's and have 5 boys ages 5-16), and we get home around 1pm on Saturday, so we will have another day to recoup. Course my husband will have to go back to work on Monday and it may take more time for him to bounce back. But we think it will be worth it.

What do they do with your luggage on the Train if only space is what is under your seat?

You talked me right out of the Wilderness Tundra Tour;-) 7-8 hours in a Schoolbus sounds like slow torture, especially for my DW with a bad back.

Friends advised us to do the Tour first since it is such a busy period of time and the Cruise is s chance to relax a bit afterward. Have not priced them out but suppose timing could effect it also.

Dennis

Oh and I read on one review, it is more like an upgraded schoolbus. I will see if I can find pictures.

A tour deep into Denali is the main reason to visit, your chance to see wildlife up close. We are doing Tundra Wilderness tour for a second time to get deeper into the park. The seven hours flew by quickly. I cannot imagine skipping this type of tour. The shuttle bus is another popular option to go even further at your own pace.

Oh and I read on one review, it is more like an upgraded schoolbus. I will see if I can find pictures.

Look down the page of this trip report for photos of a shuttle bus. They were on a Princess Cruisetour which included the Natural History Tour at Denali. They traded the NHT for a shuttle to Eielson instead. The Eielson shuttle goes further into the park than even the Tundra Wilderness Tour and at 1/3 the price.

http://www.thepreismans.com/alaska_island_14_page4.htm

The shuttle to Eielson is about 8 hrs roundtrip. It stops every 90 minutes at a rest area, and for 35-40 minutes at Eielson,

Another option to consider would be to the shuttle to Toklat which is only 6 hrs RT. Toklat is the start of prime bear viewing.

If your back starts to bother you, you can hop off a shuttle bus at any point and flag down on a bus that is returning to the park entrance.

Edited by mapleleaves

Dennis

Frankly, the only reason to "go" to Denali is to get INTO the park. It's the same analogy, if you would take a trip to Disneyland, and never get past Main Street??? It isn't enough, in my opinion, to spend all those hours in transit- it is 10 hours on the train Whittier/Denali, with only about 2 hours of spectacular scenery. A lot of the transit is trees and more trees, so I don't consider that "seeing" Alaska.

Everyone is different- plenty of people don't get into the park, problem is most don't have a clue what they missed. You are at least informed and able to make the decision right for you.

Frankly, the only reason to "go" to Denali is to get INTO the park. It's the same analogy, if you would take a trip to Disneyland, and never get past Main Street??? It isn't enough, in my opinion, to spend all those hours in transit- it is 10 hours on the train Whittier/Denali, with only about 2 hours of spectacular scenery. A lot of the transit is trees and more trees, so I don't consider that "seeing" Alaska.

Everyone is different- plenty of people don't get into the park, problem is most don't have a clue what they missed. You are at least informed and able to make the decision right for you.

No argument here. Except I am not sure the analogy is realistic. Actually I would like the tour in the park better if you could do more wandering around or hiking some trails.

Problem is not always what you want to do/see but how miserable your other half will be trying to enjoy it. She can walk a lot but not ride, even in a car, for more than a couple hours without stretching out. Most of tour package sounds too sedentary for either of us at this point.

I really appreciate folks passing on all the info, it gave me a great idea of what to expect. I think we will put Alaska on the back burner. Does not sound like it is for us at this time.

Plus, for the cost of those 13 ( Land & Sea) days we can do the 11 day Cruise to Greece and Turkey combined with a 15 day Transatlantic, all in Aqua Class on Celebrity. Wife likes the idea too since she was not keen on AK.

Could also do the Princess 28 day South Pacific RT LA again for less money and we really want to do that one again.

Thanks to those who helped here!

Dennis

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app