photo of a stateroom with pull down beds

smac88

Hi,

We were on the Pearl in August and with four of us in a balcony room, we had a pull down bed from the ceiling. My husband slept in the top bunk and there is no rail so there is nothing to keep one of your children from falling out of the bed. I looked to see if we had pictures but couldn't find any with the beds down. The little love seat was pretty big and there should be no problem with 2 little children sleeping on that.

Hope this helps.

Will those pull down beds be safe for 3-4 years old kids?

Would appreciate if anyone can attach a pictures so that we can see.

Thanks.

Smac88

You may be better off having the U-shape set-up, just ask your cabin stewards to set it up for you if your 2 little ones can sleep in one bed.

Or, have the three beds in a row and you won't have to worry about them falling out of bed.

Good Luck.

You may be better off having the U-shape set-up, just ask your cabin stewards to set it up for you if your 2 little ones can sleep in one bed.

Or, have the three beds in a row and you won't have to worry about them falling out of bed.

Good Luck.

This is what we plan on doing. No upper for our kids just a big cozy family sleep. I can't even wait to go. LOL

I was terrifed when I saw the "3 in a row" arrangement. The U shaped one makes a bit more sense but I am not sure how a 140 sq feet room can fit that. I thought there are 2 pull down beds and never realized that there is only 1.

One posted that there is no rail for the pull down bed. Sounds unbelievable and too dangerous for the little ones to get on!

911241083_3rd20Bed.jpg.60811e33ea11e7a33745ef08714c3166.jpg

951737858_Ushapebeds.jpg.43297fe2c646a7c4ed99406879fabb49.jpg

We were on the Dream last December and had two pull down beds. They DO have railings, but not all the way along like a crib or toddler bed, but really, unless you had a barrier all the way around and to the ceiling, don't you think putting a toddler up that high would be dangerous anyway? If your toddler is anything like mine was at that age, she would have found a way to climb over it I'm sure! I'm glad we had the two pull downs instead of having to sleep three across, but only because the fourth person in our cabin was my mother and since she wouldn't have wanted to climb up to the top, it would have been a little awkward... or I guess my husband would have just slept on top and my mom and my daughter and I would have taken the 'family bed'.

Basically, you get what you pay for. If your cabin size is important to you, spend the extra couple hundred and get something bigger. For us, we just don't care. As far as we're concerned, the cabin is just a glorified closet and bed, so if the bed took up an entire section of the cabin, it would just be in keeping with our view of things. No matter how 'cozy' a cabin might be, it's still a far cry from camping, so it's all good to me!! ha ha ha

In addition, I thought I would add that I have actually had the experience of falling out of a ship berth. When I was 12, it was Christmas morning, and I guess I rolled over or something... I woke up on the floor with a little cut on one eye from hitting the night table... My mom and my grandma had just come in with some breakfast and put me back to bed, then an hour or so later, some friends I'd made came in with egg nog and I didn't even remember doing it until I tried to open my eyes and one was crusted shut from the little bit of blood. ha ha ha It could have been a lot worse, I'm sure, but I guess that's the inherent danger of a raised bed. My advice is to keep the little ones closer to the ground.

"Basically, you get what you pay for. If your cabin size is important to you, spend the extra couple hundred and get something bigger."

It is an issue with the size of the room. We stayed at an inside cabin both times with Disney and Carnival, their pull down beds are perfectly fine for us as the railings are long enough to keep kids safe.

I do not pay for a big room but I pay for a room that is designed for 4 people.

Smac

Okay, not to put people in a panic here, but I am a big believer in not putting little kids in bunkbeds... on a cruise ship or otherwise. :mad:

When my son was 6 years old (2 years ago), he was climbing up to his bunkbed to get something, fell off and broke his arm... the bone went through the skin and severed his brachial artery. We spent a week at the hospital and he went through 4 surgeries followed by 6 months of physical therapy. To this day, he has a huge long scar on his arm, and he's had 2 plastic surgery procedures on the scar. I'm guessing close to $100K in medical bills... thank goodness for great health insurance!

I know what my darling child went through was a freak accident, but can you imagine having that happen on vacation and a cruise ship? He wasn't even being silly or trying to jump (as little kids often do when they are in a bunkbed for the first time)... he's actually a very well-coordinated kid!

That day, it took us about 10 minutes to get to a doc-in-a-box center, and we were at the hospital within an hour and 15 minutes of his fall... and when we got to the hospital, the doctors couldn't find a pulse in his arm. Basically, if we didn't have skilled doctors and had gotten there much later, he could have lost the use of his arm. Again, what if this happened to you on a cruise ship and your child had to be airlifted from the ship?

We've since gone on a cruise and put my 11-year-old daughter in the top bunk, but I can assure you she took her own safety extremely seriously. (My son only too gladly slept on the bottom.)

I'm sorry to go off about this, and I'm truly not looking for sympathy. I know you can get hurt walking up steps, but if you can avoid the risk of a bunkbed, then why not? If sharing our experience can save even one family from the horror that we went through, then I've done my good deed for the day. It was absolutely the the most awful thing I've ever been through. :( I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Hi there - Is there any easy way to tell if a quad room has a trundle+bunk or 2 double bunks? We're considering the Dawn, the Spirit and the Jewel for next January and plan to put 4 kids in the room. Double bunks worked great for us last summer on Grandeur of the Seas. Don't know about that trundle!

The bunk beds are absolutely not for young kids. I was on the POA in July with my baby and 3 year old. NCL made me get a cabin with 2 bunk beds and said they had rails. Well the rail did not even reach the mattress. SO we were stuck in a tiny room with 2 bunk beds on the wall that made the room even smaller and more difficult to reach the bed. I will never go in a cabin like that again. This year I went on a Holland America and Carnival cruise and the cabins were proably 10 times better than NCL. I am going on the Pearl next month but was forced to get a balcony cabin so my 3 year old could sleep on the convertable couch.

Archived