On board the Spirit

duct tape

Think we'll cancel our reservation at STARS after reading this from Duct Tape and Colonel Wes. Although it'll be our first time aboard the Spirit, we've only got 7-nights and can't afford to throw one away on trial-and-error.

Yes, you should cancel because some people on here do not like it. Brilliant!

Agree with Tothesunset regarding the food at STARS. We had the full five course (three items in each course) menu on each of our last two Spirit cruises (the first of which was also Tothesunset's cruise), and found it to be interesting and delicious. The last time the portions seemed larger and it was almost too much food. I understand that this is a matter of individual taste, and the music and service can certainly vary. Stumblefoot, you might love it, who knows.

And Stumblefoot - it wouldn't be wasting a day IMO. You'll have the opportunity to form your own opinion. I love the music and intimacy I've experienced at STARS - an entirely different atmosphere that you won't find on the other ships. Let us know if you reconsider.

Firstly, we were rather taken with the musical duo; a very talented pianist called Tim and a soulful singer whose name I don't remember - we generally avoid live music like the plague as it is often either intrusive, amateurish or both but this pair were excellent.

It was Tim (TC) Chandler and the lovely Mickki Brown, and we really enjoyed the style of the food and the ambiance too.

Thank you for asking but I don't think that we were formally introduced and I'm sorry. This turned out to be the most relaxing do nothing vacation ever. Snow was forecast the morning of my flight down from N.Y. and upon arrival in Florida, vast amounts of nothing was done.

One thing I wondered about if any of you guys noticed....While sitting on a bench in Key West (doing nothing) I was noticing how,to the eye, the Spirit and the O ship looked so similar in size. I don't know about feet or tonnage or specifics but I did notice how many more people were coming on and off the O ship and how much less crowded the Spirit seemed. Just an observation.

Ok first of all Susan (duct Tape) you are a hoot and a holler! Truly one of the highlights of the trip was chatting with you and you should see my invite to "words with friends" shortly. Seriously I could just listen to your travel adventures for hours. I can see why you have such a legion of fans!

We had a blast on the ship. Service was "ok", you can tell they are trying but they just couldn't deliver in some locations. The Pool bar/Grill area was a huge opportunity for improvement. We loved the food. Really very good. Perfect portion sizes so you could try lots of things. Butler ( Jerry) was amazing and the suite was always immaculate ( as was the entire ship) didn't mind the kids and you certainly appreciated the ambiance when we arrived in St. Maarten with 15,000 other people ( Literally) from 4 other massive ships including the Oasis of the Seas. What a cluster!

You must go get your dinner reservations on board. We put four into the "my SilverSea" system and none were showing. Our butler managed to get us into some. For Sheishin there should not be a charge. Not worth the $30.00 good but not great ..La Terraza was amazing! Stars supper Club is a must. I'll do a full review but we found this ship to be warm ( sometimes too warm lots of guys taking jackets off at dinner - Crank up the a/C a bit for us gentlemen or loose the jacket requirement ( My preference). Lovely Itin- Lunch at Nikki Beach in St. Baarts was so much fun- that was an amazing day!

We have arrived in San Juan. Off to the airport soon. It is 85 degrees and overcast. Can't wait to get home to 42 degrees and rain...NOT. Loved the journey, appreciate the opportunity.

Thanks for all your posts and pleased you enjoyed the trip.Overall we shall not be dashing to book a Spirit voyage and will be sticking to the original 4 ships which is what SS should have done to maintain their position in the luxury market rather than chasing the mass market.Hope to catch up with you both soon. B & M

• 2 weeks later...
Stumblefoot, I agree with Dusababy (as usual). Also, to test the waters with a toe, you could arrange to just have an appetizer or dessert at STARS. See what you think.

Mrs. Webb , how are you? still cruising? best wishes from Romania (from a Silver Spirit menthol smoker) :))