Where can we find a rental car near the port?

We are cruising & arriving in Sydney, AU the morning of 3 Nov. We need a small rental car for a week to return to SYD on the morning of the 10th.

Our first cruise... we don't know the territory & would appreciate all help.

It looks like we can disembark and find our way (train?) to SYD to rent a car, but if we can find one near the harbor, it might save us some hassles and some of the incredible taxes of renting a car at SYD. :confused:

Appreciate all suggestions! Thank you!:)

Edited by Finewinendine

Hi, Finewinendine, and welcome to CC!

It looks like we can disembark and find our way (train?) to SYD to rent a car, but if we can find one near the harbor, it might save us some hassles and some of the incredible taxes of renting a car at SYD.
There will probably be places that are closer, but if all else fails I know that Hertz has a location at 65 William Street, Darlinghurst (near Kings Cross). I've sometimes used this location for the specific purpose of avoiding the airport surcharge at SYD. If you're renting for a week, the surcharge can quickly mount up to a lot, so I agree with your thinking.

I'd suggest that you make a list of the car rental companies that operate at the airport. Then go to their websites in turn to find their city centre locations, to see who has the most convenient one(s).

Thank you. I had looked at rental car agencies, but most websites were difficult. I called Thrifty & got an agent who repeatedly asked me where I was talking about needing a car (she couldn't seem to remember Australia) & then asked how to spell Sydney...

Through Kayak, I found some "deals" at SYD, but they appeared to be some unknown jobber... with a Priceline-like offer... give us your CC number and we'll tell you who you are getting the car from.

Maybe I'll call Hertz & see if I can get an agent in whom I have more confidence.

Maybe I'll call Hertz & see if I can get an agent in whom I have more confidence.
You should be able to book with Hertz on the website. One of the reasons I usually stick with Hertz is that the website is reasonably easy to navigate and pretty transparent about extra charges. You should be able to select William Street for pickup and SYD for dropoff if you do this.

AVIS has a depot in the forecourt of the Marriott hotel 30 Pitt St. It is very close to where the ship docks. (5 minute walk)

I have used them several times and the cost for a one way hire to the airport was less than a cab. Gives me time to do some sightseeing depending on when flight is.

Avis also have excellent booking, pick up and drop off procedures.

Without any Wizard or other discounts a small car for 7 days in November will cost under A$400 (plus any extras like damage waiver and GPS)

Cheers

Edited by Flipper133

please think carefully about renting a car for use in the Sydney city area as parking fees can be horrendous.

if no member of your group has mobility problems, you can get around Sydney by walking/train/bus using daily or weekly transport tickets.

We aren't going to use the car in Sydney... only to drive out of Sydney to visit friends in Canberra for a few days and then come back to the SYD airport to fly back to California.
You know it's very fast, cheap and convenient to fly to/from Canberra, especially if you're coming back to SYD to connect to another flight? Sometimes there's only 15 or 30 minutes between flights. Doing that and picking up a car at CBR airport might be an alternative that would make more sense. The road between Sydney and Canberra is long, boring and dangerous (for those with heavy right feet).

I'll look into it, but we'd need to rent a car in Canberra then.
You're welcome! If this works, you'd find CBR a very much more manageable airport, too - pretty much a brand new terminal building, and everything on a very human scale. So it would probably be easier dealing with the drop-off process there than at SYD. And you may well be able to arrange your flights so that your bags can be checked-in at CBR all the way to LAX (or wherever your first US port is).

The road between Sydney and Canberra is long, boring and dangerous (for those with heavy right feet).

I have to disagree with you. It's a very pretty drive to Canberra, especially for overseas visitors. The section through the Southern Highland is beautiful. The roads are excellent and easy to drive, and you'll get a far better appreciation of Australian scenery by driving through it rather than flying over it.

There are a few nice places to stop along the way.

Berrima is about half way to Canberra and is a lovely historic village with some good cafes. http://berrimavillage.com.au/ . Take the Berrima exit from the Hume Highway.

Another great coffee stop is the cafe at Eling Forest Winery, just a few kilometres further along. It's clearly signposted. http://www.elingforest.com.au/

There is also another great cafe closer to Canberra, once you've turned off on to the Federal Highway. It's Grandma's Little Bakery. http://www.grandmasbakery.com.au/index.html

Next you'll pass Lake George, which is usually dry. ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_George_(New_South_Wales)

I have to disagree with you. It's a very pretty drive to Canberra, especially for overseas visitors. The section through the Southern Highland is beautiful. The roads are excellent and easy to drive, and you'll get a far better appreciation of Australian scenery by driving through it rather than flying over it.
Fair enough! I think I'm a bit jaded, having done this more times than I would ideally have liked.

But do watch out for the rent collectors (aka traffic police)!

Fair enough! I think I'm a bit jaded, having done this more times than I would ideally have liked.

But do watch out for the rent collectors (aka traffic police)!

Familiarity breeds contempt? :D

Hope the OP books a car with cruise control, that's the safest way to avoid the "rent collectors" ;)

Familiarity breeds contempt? :D
Well, I'm the person who tells Qantas res agents that yes, I would really prefer to fly on the prop than the jet, please. The jet doesn't get me there any faster, and the prop allows a decent view of the scenery while someone else is driving - especially on a fine day when we're picking our way between beautiful puffy cotton wool clouds. So I suppose I've got quite particular about this, even though as a visitor I'm not doing Sydney-Canberra runs nearly as much as those with government business ...