Weather type question

sh0rty470

I just had this question asked of me, and I honestly didnt know the answer.. "What if there is a "storm" brewing in the Caribbean Sea and is off the Mexican/Belize coast."

Would the ship still go and move around it and hope to get into a port or would they divert and go eastern? TIA

All depends on the storm. I was on a Eastern Caribbean cruise that left Miami just before hurricane Ivan hit. We were going to Bahamas, Dominican Republic and St. Thomas. Just after we boarded, the itinterary was changed to TBD due to the approaching storm. We went to the Bahamas, then turned West and visited Jamacia (Ocho Rios) and Cosumel instead. Got an 8th day on the 7 day cruise when the port of Miami remained closed, so we did sea donuts North of Cuba.

Basically, I'd count on the ship sailing and going where the hurricane isn't.

All depends on the storm. I was on a Eastern Caribbean cruise that left Miami just before hurricane Ivan hit. We were going to Bahamas, Dominican Republic and St. Thomas. Just after we boarded, the itinterary was changed to TBD due to the approaching storm. We went to the Bahamas, then turned West and visited Jamacia (Ocho Rios) and Cosumel instead. Got an 8th day on the 7 day cruise when the port of Miami remained closed, so we did sea donuts North of Cuba.

Basically, I'd count on the ship sailing and going where the hurricane isn't.

ewww, Ivan.. My uncle actually lives on Grand Cayman and stayed on the island during it! Cat 4/5 when it went over them.

Archived