Istanbul tour

We will be docking in Istanbul on a Friday in June and not disembarking until Saturday; we are flying home on Monday.

I had originally planned to DIY the entire time there, but my DH and I are a bit concerned about the political climate and think doing some guided tours might make more sense.

Has anyone used Sea Song tours? They have good reviews on TA, but I trust the CC board members, too.

Any other recommendations for trusted guides in Istanbul would be appreciated.

I really do not see the point of a guide because most of the protests occur around Taksim Square, which is nowhere near the historical sights. Just make sure your hotel is located in either the Sultanahmet or Sirkeci areas, bring your Rick Steves' Istanbul guidebook (actually written by two local guides) and you are good to go.

The Istanbul forum of sister website Istanbul, on which I participate daily, will provide accurate up-to-date information to assist you in planning.

Also note that the traffic is so terrible in Istanbul that walking and public transporation are the best ways to visit the sites. A van with a guide really will not be of much assistance IMO.

However, if you are looking for a guide, Sea Song Day Tours indeed gets very good recommendations on tripadvisor.

Edited by CintiPam

We will be docking in Istanbul on a Friday in June and not disembarking until Saturday; we are flying home on Monday.

I had originally planned to DIY the entire time there, but my DH and I are a bit concerned about the political climate and think doing some guided tours might make more sense.

The political climate this week gives very little indication of the conditions to expect during your visit, which is quite a long way off. The world could look very different come next June.

Istanbul has seen its share of political unrest in recent years, but touristic activity in the historic city center is hardly ever affected by this. If you have four days in Istanbul, however, you will want to go outside of this area, and you should ask again closer to your dates of travel if there is any reason to avoid Taksim or other neighborhoods.

I agree with CintiPam that it really is not necessary to hire a private guide in Istanbul, even taking current events into account.

Having been in Istanbul yesterday I did not notice any unrest. We had a note in the cabin telling us to watch out for large gatherings but we so no evidence of any problems it is only since we got home did we find there had been problems.

The city is manic driving is scarey. Taxi prices can double within 10 mins. A taxi ride to Blue mosque from the ship 20tl he demanded a further 15 during the course of the drive I gave 10tl for which he was quite grateful. To get back to the ship we were quoted 75-80tl. In the end took tram 8tl for two easy if you know how.

Taxi prices can double within 10 mins. A taxi ride to Blue mosque from the ship 20tl he demanded a further 15 during the course of the drive I gave 10tl for which he was quite grateful. To get back to the ship we were quoted 75-80tl.
Completely unacceptable. Do not negotiate fares with taxi drivers ahead of time. And certainly do not let them renegotiate the fare during the ride! Tell them to use the meter. If they refuse, all of the cars around you are probably also taxis. :D Keep trying until you find an honest one.

Having been in Istanbul yesterday I did not notice any unrest. We had a note in the cabin telling us to watch out for large gatherings but we so no evidence of any problems it is only since we got home did we find there had been problems.

The city is manic driving is scarey. Taxi prices can double within 10 mins. A taxi ride to Blue mosque from the ship 20tl he demanded a further 15 during the course of the drive I gave 10tl for which he was quite grateful. To get back to the ship we were quoted 75-80tl. In the end took tram 8tl for two easy if you know how.

Your post highlights yet again two great reasons to use the EASY public transportation option (the tram) in Istanbul:

1. The terrible traffic -- a lot of folks used to doing private tours refuse to believe in advance that a private vehicle can almost always be a hindrance, not a help, in making the most of your day. The tram has a dedicated track. Traffic will cut out precious time for sightseeing.

2. Taxis are unreliable. You have to be aggressive as indicated above. The ones at the port are -- so I've read -- some of the worst at taking advantage of tourists. The tram is a cheap ride, reliable, and runs very close to both the port AND the places you'll want to see in the historic center.

• 2 weeks later...

Skip the guided tour. Istanbul is very walkable and you can purchase an audio guide for all the sites except the Blue Mosque.

Topkapi palace 25TL (u12s free), + another 15TL for the Harem

Hagia Sophia

Entry cost 25 TL

For both of these you can buy tickets in advance (except for the Harem, which you get from the box office once inside the Topkapi palace) from http://www.muze.gov.tr/hagiasophia This worked out well as we went straight in past the long lines. You print out an email with a QR code for each ticket and remember to take it with you

For u12s (free) you don't need a ticket. Our youngster was obviously under 12 and the official at the turnstile waved her through, but we had her passport with us anyway.

The only downside with buying your ticket in advance is that the website makes it clear it is non-refundable so if you don't use it, it's lost. But as 25TL is not a fortune I'd say getting it this way is well worth it - just double check you get the date right.

Blue Mosque

Entry is free and they provide clothing if your shorts don't cover your knees. You can't go in at prayer times, so as the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque are almost next to each other go to the mosque first and check your possible entry times (i.e. outside of the 5 prayer periods). That way you will know when to go there and not waste precious time. If you get lucky and can go in straight away, do so and go to the Hagia Sophia afterwards - your ticket there is for the day and does not specify a time. Once inside the mosque we spent about 15 minutes looking round. The tiles are stunning and I would have liked longer here but was mindful of our schedule.

Basilica Cistern

You can't buy your (10 TL) ticket in advance but the queue moves quickly. There are over 50 steps down to the cistern floor. I think this is another 'must-see' as there can't be too much else like it anywhere. It's a one trick pony but a great one, and we spent 15 minutes down there.

Grand Bazaar, Galata Tower (12 TL) & Spice Bazaar

Obviously going to Sultanahmet by taxi is easiest way but the tram is simple and less susceptible to traffic delays. As you leave the port turn right, walk about 200 yards and you'll see the stop. But before you do that ask someone where the nearest machine is to buy the tram tokens (red plastic discs which you use to open the platform gates). Each ride cost 2 TL pp so you'll need 4 pp to go there and back. If you want to go the Grand Bazaar after Sultanahmet you could walk (about a mile) or tram it, in which case you'll need another disc. There is a token machine at Sultanahmet (probably more than one) if you need to top up.

I agree that diy is possible in Instanbul, but after a 4 day stay following the end of our cruise I have changed my mind. If you can afford it a private guided tour can be terrific. We did two. One was a food tour ---it took us to two continents and we had a huge sampling of very good and different foods. It introduced us to the ferry system and to several different neighborhoods. We loved it. The second tour (walks in Instanbul) was also good. I think a small tour is a wonderful way to learn about a city

• 1 month later...
Skip the guided tour. Istanbul is very walkable and you can purchase an audio guide for all the sites except the Blue Mosque.

Topkapi palace 25TL (u12s free), + another 15TL for the Harem

Hagia Sophia

Entry cost 25 TL

For both of these you can buy tickets in advance (except for the Harem, which you get from the box office once inside the Topkapi palace) from http://www.muze.gov.tr/hagiasophia This worked out well as we went straight in past the long lines. You print out an email with a QR code for each ticket and remember to take it with you

For u12s (free) you don't need a ticket. Our youngster was obviously under 12 and the official at the turnstile waved her through, but we had her passport with us anyway.

The only downside with buying your ticket in advance is that the website makes it clear it is non-refundable so if you don't use it, it's lost. But as 25TL is not a fortune I'd say getting it this way is well worth it - just double check you get the date right.

Blue Mosque

Entry is free and they provide clothing if your shorts don't cover your knees. You can't go in at prayer times, so as the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque are almost next to each other go to the mosque first and check your possible entry times (i.e. outside of the 5 prayer periods). That way you will know when to go there and not waste precious time. If you get lucky and can go in straight away, do so and go to the Hagia Sophia afterwards - your ticket there is for the day and does not specify a time. Once inside the mosque we spent about 15 minutes looking round. The tiles are stunning and I would have liked longer here but was mindful of our schedule.

Basilica Cistern

You can't buy your (10 TL) ticket in advance but the queue moves quickly. There are over 50 steps down to the cistern floor. I think this is another 'must-see' as there can't be too much else like it anywhere. It's a one trick pony but a great one, and we spent 15 minutes down there.

Grand Bazaar, Galata Tower (12 TL) & Spice Bazaar

Obviously going to Sultanahmet by taxi is easiest way but the tram is simple and less susceptible to traffic delays. As you leave the port turn right, walk about 200 yards and you'll see the stop. But before you do that ask someone where the nearest machine is to buy the tram tokens (red plastic discs which you use to open the platform gates). Each ride cost 2 TL pp so you'll need 4 pp to go there and back. If you want to go the Grand Bazaar after Sultanahmet you could walk (about a mile) or tram it, in which case you'll need another disc. There is a token machine at Sultanahmet (probably more than one) if you need to top up.

http://www.muze.gov.tr/hagiasophia

How do you translate the page to English? Is there a way?

I agree that diy is possible in Instanbul, but after a 4 day stay following the end of our cruise I have changed my mind. If you can afford it a private guided tour can be terrific. We did two. One was a food tour ---it took us to two continents and we had a huge sampling of very good and different foods. It introduced us to the ferry system and to several different neighborhoods. We loved it. The second tour (walks in Instanbul) was also good. I think a small tour is a wonderful way to learn about a city

Rivendell, I agree wholeheartedly. We often 'snoop' with the locals and fully intend to in Istanbul in March with a 'CulineryTour' of 2 Continents and then an Evening Kebab outing with street-savvy locals so as to experience Istanbul foods, drink, Meyhanes etc. Locomotiveman