Silversea Explorer Antarctica

Otis

We just returned from a Classic Antarctica itinerary on the SS Explorer. My review was

just published, in case anyone is interested. There is some discussion of this on the SS forum - I'm never quite sure where to post. Happy to answer any questions.

cheers for the link - have never used the review section - only the forums - so didn't realise people posted reviews somewhere else !

Hope you can also do one in the trip advisor antarctica adventures forums as there are a lot more polar visitors posting there these days and I link all reviews into the FAQs.

PP-Can I just post this review on TA or is that not allowed by CC and/or TA? I am a TA user as well, but I must confess that I didn't find the excellent Antarctic Adventures forum until late in the game.

Not sure to be honest - even tho they are owned by the same company they seem to be fussy about mentioning each other :confused::rolleyes:

Feel free to start a new thread there with the date and name of ship and just paste the one from here into it - and I will add to the trip reports FAQs for you. Its good to get some variety there with companys and ships !

I mention TA frequently here on CC so that people can find me there (on TA) and send a Personal Message, a feature sadly missing here.

The TA Antarctica forum is much more comprehensive that the one here. There are so many more ships and companies than those mentioned here:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g1-i12337-Antarctic_Adventures.html

Edited by maryann ns

Thanks for the review.

Sorry to read that the LAN Charters are still crap. I don't know why the companies that use them don't either put their collective foot down and demand better service and/or explore other options if they exist (Aerolineas Argentinas?).

Given the number of things large and small that weren't spot on, I'm slightly surprised you accorded the cruise 5/5. Heading back a day early would be both disappointing and understandable--and yet I'd expect them to do more than just tie up a day early in Ushuaia. A quick bounce around the Horn or up the sheltered Argie coast should surely have been doable. As to the other stuff (poor documentation, confusion re: weight limits) it might be small potatoes to many people, but there's really no excuse. Particularly when one considers the amount of money paid.

That said, I'm really glad you enjoyed your trip and are helping to spread the word about one of the planet's most magical places.

Shawnino, Yes, I was probably a bit generous in giving the cruise a 5, but the things that mattered to me - the staff, food, ELs and comfort - were all so well done that the Christmas spirit took over and I rounded up.

I don't think LAN is particularly worse than any other airline likely to do a charter in these parts. What made these days tedious was how much time we had to kill after landing in Ushuaia and before the flight back to BA. All of this was, of course, to give the crew time to prepare the cabins but it made for very long days.

The coming back early piece has become an interesting topic on the SS forum above and on

a TA forum. It has been reported - but I certainly can't confirm it - that the Explorer routinely goes back to Ushuaia early. In our case, we were back almost 24 hours early, but

there are 4 other cruises mentioned in another thread that were also back before schedule, with one cruiser reporting that it was to give the crew time in Ushuaia. If that is the pattern, then I'd like them to be honest about it. Again, I don't know.

As well, from other discussions, I gather that other ships might do a better job of ensuring that the zodiac group rotations are honored. If there are going to be large groups on these ships - and we had one particularly challenging group - they must be made to understand upfront that the rules are to be followed.

When discussing Antartica cruises, it's difficult to compare one ship to another as so few people have been on both. I have learned a lot from others once I posted my thoughts.

All that said, we had a wonderful experience and were happy we chose this ship.

Thanks for the review.

Sorry to read that the LAN Charters are still crap. I don't know why the companies that use them don't either put their collective foot down and demand better service and/or explore other options if they exist (Aerolineas Argentinas?).

We have travelled on scheduled longhaul flights on LAN and they have been excellent. The charter down to Ushuaia has not been brilliant (the snack box is ridiculous considering the length of the flight and the time of day), but has been more than acceptable. Their reputation is better than that of Aerolineas Argentinas

Given the number of things large and small that weren't spot on, I'm slightly surprised you accorded the cruise 5/5. Heading back a day early would be both disappointing and understandable--and yet I'd expect them to do more than just tie up a day early in Ushuaia. A quick bounce around the Horn or up the sheltered Argie coast should surely have been doable. As to the other stuff (poor documentation, confusion re: weight limits) it might be small potatoes to many people, but there's really no excuse. Particularly when one considers the amount of money paid.

Agree with all of that! And Silversea Explorer is supposed to be 'high end' with service, beds and food to match...

As well, from other discussions, I gather that other ships might do a better job of ensuring that the zodiac group rotations are honored. If there are going to be large groups on these ships - and we had one particularly challenging group - they must be made to understand upfront that the rules are to be followed.

The rules are there for good reasons: both fairness and safety.

I do know that on Fram one guest, who made it clear he wasn't going to follow the rules, or the instructions of the expedition leader, was denied landings. A perfect response.

Edited by digitl

@digitl: Our LAN charter was really, really bad. I couldn't care less about the poor snack box. The plane was not clean. We were on the tarmac for over 90 minutes with no information, and they would not let people use the washroom for long stretches throughout the ordeal. At cruising altitude one older gentleman was screamed at to "just hold it!".

We happened to go Lindblad but I would assume Silversea and others are the same: within the parameters of expedition cruising (weather, missed landings, kitchen challenges in remote locales...) the company really tries to get all the little stuff right. The LAN charter really looks like the turd in the punchbowl.

I don't doubt LAN's longhaul scheduled flights are fine. They would have to be to compete in that market. I've never flown LAN, but I've flown most of the competition (TACA, Aerogal, Avianca...) and the standard in that part of the world seems to be quite high both in terms of equipment and gracious service.

@everyone: Silversea routinely coming back to Ushuaia a day early, if that's correct, would really grind my gears.

@digitl: Our LAN charter was really, really bad. I couldn't care less about the poor snack box. The plane was not clean. We were on the tarmac for over 90 minutes with no information, and they would not let people use the washroom for long stretches throughout the ordeal. At cruising altitude one older gentleman was screamed at to "just hold it!".

That really is beyond unacceptable!

We happened to go Lindblad but I would assume Silversea and others are the same: within the parameters of expedition cruising (weather, missed landings, kitchen challenges in remote locales...) the company really tries to get all the little stuff right. The LAN charter really looks like the turd in the punchbowl.

Our LAN charters were with Hurtigruten. I'm grateful the only issue has been with the lunchboxes. Perhaps we were lucky? Perhaps you were unlucky?

@everyone: Silversea routinely coming back to Ushuaia a day early, if that's correct, would really grind my gears.

Five cruises back early? I'll not be giving them the chance to do anything with my gears!

I have flown LAN internationally and domestically many times now - always in business class and they are extremely good.

But I agree when its a specific charter flight (ie the Falklands one) - their reputation seems to go out the window. There was a single class - no business. We didnt get fed at all on the very long flight from Falklands via Puntas to Santiago - landed at midnight utterly famished and en masse we had to demand the hotel open its kitchen and make everyone toasted sandwiches!

We did the Explorer in Jan 14. I agree with some of your comments.

1) Yes ship is a little worn. It was not built in 2008. It was refurbished in 2008 when Silversea purchased it.

2) LAN was horrible . Late on the return. An yes the hassles of carry-on . They did not like my 12kilo of camera equipment.

3) Food was good. Christian was the chef.

4) Did not have a group on the cruise., But yes that would cause issues on any exploration. Tough to control a large group.

5) Early -- no we were not. But what would happen if you were late in getting back. You might miss the charter and follow-on flight to BA, the next cruise would be late .... Weather is unpredictable. We were on time but our LAN return flight was 3 hours late.

As you can see we liked our cruise so much we are doing the Arctic and might consider another back tom Antarctica.