On Your Own - seeking DIY suggestions for New Zealand Itinerary

Losnab

Booked the Dawn Princess Jan 2016 - would appreciate DIY suggestions for fun exploring on our own. Beaches, nature and opportunities to sample local wine, beer and cuisine are our priorities.

Duned In

Akaroa

Wellington

Napier

Tauranga

Auckland

Bay of Islands

Hello: We are also interested in going to Catlin, as saw lots of pics and it is beautiful area. I think it is in the northern section of NZ? Will be on cruise in November. Any way we can get there from following ports and make it back to ship in 7 hours? Dunedin, Akaroa, Bay of Islands and Auckland. thanks so much

Booked the Dawn Princess Jan 2016 - would appreciate DIY suggestions for fun exploring on our own. Beaches, nature and opportunities to sample local wine, beer and cuisine are our priorities.

Duned In

Akaroa

Wellington

Napier

Tauranga

Auckland

Bay of Islands

We did NZ and toured on our own last November. we did:

Dunedin - hired a car and went to Cadbury Factory, Lanach Castle, Otago Peninsula

Akaroa - hired a car and did the scenic rim drive out towards Christchurch and back

Wellington - caught the bus into the city and did the tram up to the gardens then the TePapa Museum

Napier - our ship didn't go here

Tauranga - walked around the town (we've already been to Rotatua)

Auckland - we embarked here but didn't do any site seeing

Bay of Island - we caught the free shuttle into town then went to the Treaty Grounds (also via free shuttle) then walked back to the ship.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!

Hello: We are also interested in going to Catlin, as saw lots of pics and it is beautiful area. I think it is in the northern section of NZ? Will be on cruise in November. Any way we can get there from following ports and make it back to ship in 7 hours? Dunedin, Akaroa, Bay of Islands and Auckland. thanks so much

Impossible to the the Catlins in one day. It's at least a three hour drive from Dunedin, the nearest port.

Impossible to the the Catlins in one day. It's at least a three hour drive from Dunedin, the nearest port.

Catlins ....Its a very beautiful remote and unspoilt area , but you would really need to stay at least a few days to experience it.

You will get to see remote and unspoilt on your cruise through Fiordland.:)

We did a Royal Caribbean NZ cruise back in 2011 and went to all of the places you're visiting.

We're not really into tours and much prefer to hire cars or use public transport and do our own thing (not really a fan of seeing everything out of a coach window and not being able to stop when we want to!)

Anyway this is what we did in each place:

Dunedin - Hired a car (which they brought to the port for us) and went to see the penguins at Penguin Place on the Osago peninsular (we'd pre booked) then visited Larnach Castle on the way back to Dunedin itself. Had a wander round Dunedin then drove back to the Port and left the car for the hire company to collect.

Akaroa - we actually did a Christchurch "on your own" trip off the ship. It was shortly after the earthquake and much of the centre was closed off, but we had a good day and got back in time to wander round Akaroa too.

Wellington - just got the port bus into the centre, then got the cable car to the top and walked back down through the gardens into town and to the museum.

Napier - we actually met some friends who live there and they drive us around for the time we were there. We went out of napier to a viewpoint which was nice, then back into Napier to wander round. I would say that staying in Napier itself is fine.

Tauranga - Again hire car brought to the port for us, then we went off to Rotarua for the day, dropping the car back off at the port before boarding.

Auckland - Just walked round Auckland ourselves straight off the ship.

Bay of Islands - Hired a car (dropped off for us again at Waitangi Treaty grounds) and drove to Whangarei then back via the coast. When we arrived back in Paihia we got the ferry across to Russell and spent some time wandering round there, then drove to Waitangi Treaty grounds where we dropped the car off and had a wander round before getting the tender back to the ship. I would say Whangarei, whilst pleasant enough, was a fairly long drive for what it was and would be perhaps tempted to stay more local, but that's easy to say because we've done it!!

Hope this helps!

Am loving all the above ideas.....

Here's the thing..... am not able to hire a car..... just nervous..... solo traveller blah blah....

Need other suggestions for Tauranga and Dunedin now.....

Pinching your thread title for Australia..... thanks!! ;)

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Also hesitant about hiring car as vacation does not seem reasonable time to practice driving on opposite sides of the street.

would prefer public transportation, walking, ferries, etc...

Still trying to research beaches of New Zealand for January...

Have toured NZ via cruise ship and land several times. Here are my sugestions for first timers.

Dunedin....book a tour, get out of town to the Otago Peninsula area. Stunning scenery. You will pass through the city for a glimpse anyway. Hint - ship docks at Pt Chalmers, which is way out from Dunedin, but if you stand portside on entry (or starboard on exit) you will be able to see the albatrosses flying and nesting at the headland.

Akaroa....pick up a local tour to see the immediate countryside (nice pub with great views and great food on top of the hill outside Akaroa on the Christchurch Road), then walk around this lovely quaint village.

Wellington.... grab a tour to the Seal Coast Area in the morning, then walk around Wellington city (easy) in the afternoon. Catch the cable car up for views. Grab a drink at any of the fabulous pubs in Courteney Place, down the far end. Wellington is my favourite city. Here is a map attached.

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/assets/Uploads/files/maps-guides/WellingtonDowntownMap.pdf

Napier....do a wine and scenic tour, or simply walk around the town.

Tauranga....suggest you make the trip into Rotorua to see some of the thermal bits. If not, then (ship docks at Mt Manganui) and is lovely to walk around. When you reach the Mountain, great beach across to the right.

Auckland....every time we go to Auckland we catch a local ferry across to Waiheke Island. Fabulous boutique wineries, and fabulous scenery. This is my favourite spot in Auckland area. Try and get an island tour....they are cheap. Check out http://www.fullers.co.nz/ Next pier across from where your ship docks, and they sell tickets to loads of places. The city of Auckland is small, so suggest you don't plan to spend all day in the city. Get out on a ferry somewhere. Another great spot via ferry is Rangitoto Island, a volcanic island. The Fullers site will give you ideas.

BOI....walk or catch shuttle into Paihia, catch the ferry across to Russell (nice eateries and pubs), then come back to Paihia to look around. Ship will prob dock near the Treaty House, dependent on the tides that morning.

You picked a great itinerary. All these ports in NZ are well worth seeing. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by bobhsv

Have toured NZ via cruise ship and land several times. Here are my sugestions for first timers.

Dunedin....book a tour, get out of town to the Otago Peninsula area. Stunning scenery. You will pass through the city for a glimpse anyway. Hint - ship docks at Pt Chalmers, which is way out from Dunedin, but if you stand portside on entry (or starboard on exit) you will be able to see the albatrosses flying and nesting at the headland.

Akaroa....pick up a local tour to see the immediate countryside (nice pub with great views and great food on top of the hill outside Akaroa on the Christchurch Road), then walk around this lovely quaint village.

Wellington.... grab a tour to the Seal Coast Area in the morning, then walk around Wellington city (easy) in the afternoon. Catch the cable car up for views. Grab a drink at any of the fabulous pubs in Courteney Place, down the far end. Wellington is my favourite city. Here is a map attached.

http://www.wellingtonnz.com/assets/Uploads/files/maps-guides/WellingtonDowntownMap.pdf

Tauranga....suggest you make the trip into Rotorua to see some of the thermal bits. If not, then (ship docks at Mt Manganui) and is lovely to walk around. When you reach the Mountain, great beach across to the right.

Auckland....every time we go to Auckland we catch a local ferry across to Waiheke Island. Fabulous boutique wineries, and fabulous scenery. This is my favourite spot in Auckland area. Try and get an island tour....they are cheap. Check out http://www.fullers.co.nz/ Next pier across from where your ship docks, and they sell tickets to loads of places. The city of Auckland is small, so suggest you don't plan to spend all day in the city. Get out on a ferry somewhere. Another great spot via ferry is Rangitoto Island, a volcanic island. The Fullers site will give you ideas.

BOI....walk or catch shuttle into Paihia, catch the ferry across to Russell (nice eateries and pubs), then come back to Paihia to look around. Ship will prob dock near the Treaty House, dependent on the tides that morning.

You picked a great itinerary. All these ports in NZ are well worth seeing. Enjoy your cruise.

thanks for your insights and recommendations - I did receive an email from Aukland.nz. I would love to take in some beach time then visit a winery or two (or visa versa)- not sure if this is possible - but it seems that the fullers site you referred me to also sells a ticket for unlimited bus rides so I am hoping this will allow us to do both beach and some wine exploring.

Here is there email:

there are some beautiful beaches around Auckland that are easily accessible.

If you are interested in spending the day on a beach you might like to take a ferry over to Waiheke island, it is a 35minute trip from the where your ship will dock.

Waiheke Island is the ultimate island retreat. You’ll feel another world away, and yet Waiheke is just a 35-minute ferry ride from downtown Auckland. Known as the island of wine for its many wineries and vineyards, a wine tasting or tour is a must. Enjoy a day trip or find accommodation and stay longer to really enjoy some of the fantastic activities on offer.

There are three long white sand beaches on Waiheke that are very popular for swimming, Oneroa, palm beach and onetangi, there is also a lovely little bay named enclosure bay where you can snorkel around the rocks, however this is tide dependant.

Super!!

Thank you so much.

Linda

Re the beaches around Auckland for day trips....apart from our favourite, Waiheke Island, there are others of interest. You could look for a tour through the Waitakere Ranges going as far as Piha beach. This is not to be confused with BOI Piahia btw. Piha is west of Auckland and the beach consists of black sand (re the volcanic bits). The Waitakere ranges are lovely to drive through, with some small quaint 'arty' type of villages along the way. Nice bakeries too. Piha is generally NOT a swimming beach for visitors, although you will see lots of surfers. Has a quiet reputation for drownings re the rips. However, it is a lovely beach for a walk. Just another idea for a scenic tour.

Coromandel also has lovely beaches, but this is def not a day trip area in my opinion.

Getting back to Waiheke Island. Some tips.....make sure you plan on catching the second last ferry back to Auckland. Don't rely on the last one. I have never over many years had a rough ride over and back, but locals will advise you that sometimes the weather picks up and the last ferry may be delayed. For other tours just do a google search, as most will included the ferry cost. Don't rely on simply catching the ferry over and not have a tour booked. The ferry pier on the island is a very decent walk up a very steep skinny road, before you get into the main town. Nice area to walk around, but you will def be doing yourselves an injustice by not seeing the better parts of the island and beaches.

Most, but not all, ferries also stop at Devonport, which is just across the water from the city of Auckland. If you have time, get off here for a wander around.

Other local beaches, east (around Kelly Tarltons) are nice, good for swimming, but you will not get the amazing scenic bits here. Just a regular flat city beach in my opinion.

Hope this helps a bit. Others will offer their advice/experiences too I am sure.

Edited by bobhsv

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am enjoying researching and planning for our upcoming trip to Sydney and NZ. I am happy to share a great on line source where I have found excellent pricing for attractions: www experienceoz dot com.au.

I enjoying being part of the cruise community and have had very good experiences when I participated in Roll Calls in the past. I am not sure why there is 0 activity on our upcoming cruise - kind of sad :confused:

I am enjoying researching and planning for our upcoming trip to Sydney and NZ. I am happy to share a great on line source where I have found excellent pricing for attractions: www experienceoz dot com.au.

I enjoying being part of the cruise community and have had very good experiences when I participated in Roll Calls in the past. I am not sure why there is 0 activity on our upcoming cruise - kind of sad :confused:

That's a super link.

Thanks!

Which ship / date are you on?

I am not sure why there is 0 activity on our upcoming cruise - kind of sad :confused:

I'd suggest it's because the majority of passengers on this cruise will be Aussie and Cruise Critic isn't all that popular in Aus. Aussies generally prefer Facebook. I'd suggest if you're looking to connect to other cruisers on Aussie cruises, search Facebook for a group or event for your ship name, date and/or cruise number

I'm on a cruise too NZ in January with RCI and most of the people on our Roll Call is American. I think there is only a few other Australians and not much is happening on ours either.

I'm on a cruise too NZ in January with RCI and most of the people on our Roll Call is American. I think there is only a few other Australians and not much is happening on ours either.

As a tip/insight from our experiences early last year doing a wonderful Sydney to Auckland cruise, do not assume that your roll call is a true indicator for the make-up of those on your RCI sailing. These CC Boards are more heavily used by those from the USA.

BUT, keep researching and planning. Check out my live/blog for ideas, plus many pictures to get you even more excited about this great part of the world.

Regarding Waiheke Island and Napier, here are a few visuals samples and ideas for there. More on the full live/blog. Love BOTH of these fascinating and unique areas. Lots to love and do in both scenic countries.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 119,497 views for this posting.

Here one of the many great views on Waiheke Island. Lots of varied hills and great water views, including this picture showing the twisting and turning roads on this island. Some paved. Many not. This shows one of those "unsealed" roads that requires slow speeds, much care, etc.. Unsealed is clever term to describe just a basic dirt road. Plus, the fun of driving on the "wrong side".:

AucklandArtOneA19_zps0020de25.jpg

At the Man O' War Winery on Waiheke Island near Auckland, their main building was overlooking the beach as a part of its scenic location. This picture shows friends Ed and Karen from Central Ohio enjoying a tasting plate with a variety of good food items, plus, of course, their wine that is produced on this scenic island. Great way to do a "lunch break" and soak up the style, character and beauty for this artsy island. Their website: http://www.manowarvineyards.co.nz.:

AucklandArtOneA23_zps0543f9e9.jpg

We started with owner Jo Glow picking us up promptly at 2 pm at her hilltop gate. She first took us to see a large reception area with many original models or machetes prepared by the artist prior to producing each work. Here is one of the first art pieces we saw at the start of our tour near this reception building.:

AucklandArtOneA15_zpsf5ff8594.jpg

Here is our expert guide/driver, Jo, traveling along the ridge near the water (on the Pacific Ocean) as we go to see more of the nesting areas along this super scenic coast near Napier.:

NapCapKidGannets17_zps9aed0168.jpg

Here is John from our group and guide/driver Jo talking about this wonderful area. In the background is a longer view of the actual Cape Kidnappers with its famed “hook” showing to the left out in the water.:

NapCapKidGannets18_zpsf6737bc8.jpg

Here is the first of the famed gannets at this location. This is just one small sampling of many big groups of these super cute birds. :

NapCapKidGannets13_zps64175760.jpg

I'd suggest it's because the majority of passengers on this cruise will be Aussie and Cruise Critic isn't all that popular in Aus. Aussies generally prefer Facebook. I'd suggest if you're looking to connect to other cruisers on Aussie cruises, search Facebook for a group or event for your ship name, date and/or cruise number

Good suggestion Mtn Couple -

I went to facebook and saw a tiny bit of activity. I almost hit like but decided against it.

Call me ‎paranoid, but I try not to post anything about my vacation or not being home (such as a sports game or event) until I have returned home. To me sharing this information publicly is an invitation to potential thievery. So sharing future travel plans on Facebook is simply not appealing to me.

I believe I have the freedom to be personal yet remain anonymous while participating in the Cruise Critic Board.

We are happy to make personal connections with the folks on the board once we are on board :)

For the same reason, I don't have my GPS set to home. I read a article that suggested a thief can steal my car, drive to my house using the gps, and enter my home simply by clicking the garage door opener. All the while knowing roughly how long I will be at the event.

As a tip/insight from our experiences early last year doing a wonderful Sydney to Auckland cruise, do not assume that your roll call is a true indicator for the make-up of those on your RCI sailing. These CC Boards are more heavily used by those from the USA.

BUT, keep researching and planning. Check out my live/blog for ideas, plus many pictures to get you even more excited about this great part of the world.

Thanks for generously sharing TLC - I read your posts a few weeks ago from my Mini iPad. Now that i am looking at them on the computer I realize I must make time to view them on a big screen.