Diving the ABC islands

icsys

We are cruising the ABC islands next March with RCI and I have the opportunity to dive at all three destinations.

As an experienced, and regular, diver I am aware it is generally better to stay away from ship ran trips but as I will not ne travelling with another diver and time is limited, they could work out to be an advantage.

I am not too bothered about depth but I do want to see marine life.

This is the information I have so far:

Aruba

The ship offers a two tank excursion. Approx $95 US. This destination appears to be all about wrecks. No problem, I have done a lot of wreck diving. Although diving in general here does not appear to get rave reviews in comparison to the others.

I have found out from a well known 'trip advice' site that the ship uses Red Sail Sports. They take you to the wreck of the Antilla and Pedernalis but the reviews I have read about this operator are appalling. Scuba is a dangerous sport no matter how qualified you are, so if the reviews are a true reflection, this outfit needs a wide berth!

If anyone has been diving in Aruba and has any recommendations I would love to hear them.

Bonaire

The ship offers a two tank excursion. Approx $120 US. I asked about this destination on another thread. I know this island is famous for its shore diving.

The ship operator is Dive Friends of Bonaire and the reviews I have been given about them so far are good. I have also been told there are some dive operators very close to the pier with house reefs.

Having spoken with Dive Friends, the dives offered are to max depths of 18m / 60ft and dive times of 45 mins and 1 hour, 16 divers max with two guides, one guide at the front and one at the back.

The only reservation I have with this is being herded in a large group. But being that these will be boat dives the sites could be anywhere along the coast but obviously not the Hilma Hooker.

Curaçao

There is no ship excursion offered in Curaçao, although I believe the ships usually use Ocean Encounters, so I will need to find a good independent operator.

There is an old thread on this destination (ten years old) which was recently resurrected and has a few recommendations to check out.

I believe Curaçao is also a shore diving island so boat diving is not really necessary.

Again, any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Diving all three destinations would be great but not essential.

Thanks in advance for any information good or bad.

If you were going to skip one port, I would skip Aruba. We have done some good shore snorkeling there and have enjoyed snorkeling boat trips as well.

Bonaire has amazing shore dives. The sites are very well marked on the roads and are very accessible. We have also gone out with Dive Friends. Their safety briefing was great and the experience wonderful. We are going to stay at Dive Buddy Resort in October. They have a great reputation.

Ocean Encounters in Curacao has a great set up at Lion's Dive Resort by the Aquarium. They are easy to reach by taxi. We actually just do snorkeling around the island that the Aquarium is on. There were amazing corals and it looked to be a great wall dive. However, you have to be a very strong swimmer to go around, but easy enough to go out and back.

All three islands' conditions are very influenced by wind and waves.

WE have spent 2 dive trips, a week each, at Buddy Dive. BEST shore dive on the island is right off their pier IMHO.

BUT the big thing is do you own all your own gear? Getting rental gear and setting up to shore dive there is something you have to consider. I don't know how much rental gear there would be available. Going with the cruise ship dive op, Dive Friends, might be easier if that is a problem.

I have videos of diving in Bonaire, as well as photos on my website.

check out a few:

My last trip, 4 videos

the shore diving from Buddy Dive:

With regard to Bonaire, I would do the ship trip if they go to Klein Bonaire as it is not accessible from the Bonaire shore. I've made about 25 vaca trips to Bonaire and feel that the shore dive at Habitat is superior to those closer to the pier such as Divi Flamingo Beach Hotel. A taxi is normally a small expense (but could be greater on a cruise day). A taxi to Habitat is around 2 miles and $12. The shore dive to the right from the Habitat dock is Cliff and quite nice in my view. Dive Friends is a good op and I might be tempted.....but it's a little pricy!

I have been to both Aruba and Curacao but not diving. On Curacao, possibly the Dive Bus shore dive might appeal to you. On one cruise, we thought we wanted to do the west area where most think the best diving is, but the taxi fare was $60. We did not dive as a result.

We used Dive Bus on Curacao, they were great and a lot of fun. $14 pp round trip taxi from the port. I'd love to go back and do more of the island with them. For rental - I believe they had everything - we had our own. There was another group that had some people getting rental stuff. Then when we came back after lunch for afternoon dives on our own, they were setting up a discover scuba drive. Our dives were just the 4 of us and the dive master for the morning trips, and then just the 4 of us.

I'm pretty sure Ocean Explorers is either right across the street or just down the street. I saw Lion Resort wifi show up on my phone. I know there was one right across, but didn't pay attention to the name.

On Bonaire we booked direct with Dive Buddy - ended up with their affiliate to pick us up and such. Dive Friends is the one that RCCL uses, but you pay more to book through the ship than booking direct through Dive Friends. We did Bachelor beach and the house reef at Dive Buddy. We have friends who have done a whole week at Dive Buddy. Our local shop uses Capt. Don's *they were full when we went. Dive Buddy, if you book early enough you can get a boat dive out to Klein Bonaire. We have our own gear, but the one other guy from our ship did not -- they got him set up. That one they drove us around, if you are booked at the resort you get a rental truck. It was the 4 of us, and the other guy from our ship that booked with the dive master and the guy from the shop that was babysitting our stuff in the trucks.

Aruba - our cruise stop was too short.

get some recommendations on Curacao diving here:

http://www.scubanation.com/episodes/episode-37:-caribbean-secret.html

and some shore time hints too!

{dd is a PR person and got this show to film in Curacao .... she's the girl holding the baby ostrich}

Superior Producer is very close to the port . . . . but may be deep for some ...

Edited by Capt_BJ

The only advice I have for Aruba is to stay away from Red Sail Sports. The reviews are true. I used them, big mistake, never again.

As far a Curacao, The Dive Bus is the only way to go. Amazing dives, wonderful staff. Wouldn't dive anywhere else in Curacao.

http://www.the-dive-bus.com/

Unfortunately haven't made it to Bonaire (its's on my bucket list). Safe diving and have a GREAT cruise!

Edited by Loves_Dogs

Thank you to everyone for their responses and recommendations.

I have contacted several of the recommended dive centers and I have included the details as supplied for future reference.

ARUBA

Dive Aruba – $95 inclusive of equipment rental, free pickup and drop off.

Two tank boat dives, small groups, maximum depth 90ft / 27m

Wednesday dive sites - Jane Sea Wreck & Barcadera Reef/Kantil Reef (Drift dive)

JADS - $120 inclusive of equipment rental, free pickup and drop off.

Two tank boat dives, small groups, maximum depth 100ft / 30m for up to 45 minutes.

Wednesday dive sites - Isla di oro reef & Santo Largo reef.

BONAIRE

Buddy Dive - $96 inclusive of equipment rental, free pickup and drop off +$10 BMP fee

Two tank boat dives (minimum of five divers req'd), small groups, maximum depths 60ft (18m)

Possibly Kleine Bonaire subject to weather

Dive Friends, RCI excursion – $126 inclusive of equipment rental, free pickup and drop off +$10 BMP fee

Two tank boat dives, up to 16 divers with two guides, maximum depth 60ft (18m)

Sites decided on the day - Unable to take outside bookings on cruise ship days.

Div Ocean - $140 inclusive of equipment rental, free pickup and drop off +$10 BMP fee

Two tank shore or boat, 10 divers max, depths up to 100ft (30m) depending on your certification.

Hilma Hooker wreck dive and if possible the salt pier.

CURACAO

Atlantis Diving - $108 inclusive of equipment, free pickup and drop off

Two tank shore dives, max depth 60 ft (18m)

Recommended sites, Directors bay and Tugboat or Vaersenbay and Snakebay

Dive Bus - $115 inclusive of equipment rental - no pickup specified

Two tank shore dives, small groups, maximum depth 60ft (18m) for up to 60 minutes depending on air consumption.

Pierbaai Reef and Car Pile - right off the beach across the road from the dive center.

Caribbean Sea Sports - $135 inclusive of equipment. Pickup and drop off is extra charge.

Two tank boat dives, maximum depth 60ft (20m) and dive time is up to 50 minutes.

Wednesday dive sites - Saba wreck plus a reef

Bas Harts - $139 free dive equipment rental, free pickup and drop off.

Two tank shore dives.

One dive in the San Juan area and the second in Hundu

To the list for Curacao, I would add CURious2Dive - Hans Plej. We've been there for 2 weeks dive trips & he is the guy we go back to. Shore diving or Klein Curacao or custom dolphin dives. Valet diving. He is an island native who truly knows the dive sites. Relaxed trips. He will email you photos of your dive at no charge. $122 for 2 tank diving with all rental stuff. He will pick you up at the port.

If the current is right & you are good with air, ask about a drift dive from Director's Bay to Tugboat!

Dive Bus is taking you on rotation to dive sites by day of the week - no customization to your interests.

We stay at Atlantis Diving's apartments (wonderful!!!), but would never dive with them. We watched some of their OW training classes & were appalled.

We've only heard good things with Bas Harts, but never dived with him. He seems to be the Hans Plej of the west end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Please let us know who you chose to go with and your experiences when you get back. I am going to the same set of islands but not until feb 2016 and would like to know how things went for you!!

Bonaire = Buddy Dive.

My guide was waiting for me at the pier gate. There was only myself diving so it was shore diving.

I used my own gear but was offered a choice of 80cu/ft 10L or 100 cu/ft 12L cylinders.

First dive was on their house reef (Big Sexy reef) right behind the hotel just across a quiet road. max depth 23m / 75ft, time dependent on air = 55 mins.

Primarily the required checkout dive but there was lots to see. colourful coral and plenty of fish.

Second dive was anywhere I wanted but having never been there before I just said take me to your favourite. She chose Batchelors Beach saying there was a chance of turtles and sea horses. Max depth 25m / 82ft = 55 mins. Lots of colourful soft and hard corals, the usual fish. And.. a green sea turtle but sadly no sea horse!

Everything was easy and relaxed. Briefings were informative. Would definitely use them again.

Curacao = The Dive Bus.

Had to share a cab to get to their dive shop. $20 for up to four passengers.

This time there were two of us with the guide. Two shore dives right across the road. Again used my own gear. we used 100 cu/ft 12L cylinders.

First dive was Pierbbai Reef. Max depth 21m / 69ft, time dependent on air = 56 mins.

Easy shore entry and immediately confronted with hundreds of shoaling fish. Very colourful soft and hard corals. So many different fish I can't remember them all.

Second dive was Car Pile a little further out . max depth 30m / 98ft, time 54 mins.

Both dives had plenty of life, more so than Bonaire, with several different species of moray eels sighted up close.

Vey relaxed and friendly, good briefings about the dive sites and what life we were likely to encounter. Everything at your own pace. Would definitely use them again.

Aruba = Dive Aruba.

Clive was waiting at the port entrance. There were four of us on this occasion boat diving. Clive is a 'one man outfit' but he does a good job.

Again my own gear, cylinders he said were 12L.

First dive was on the wreck of the Jane Sea, a cargo ship standing upright in sand. Bow is in 65 feet of water and stern is in 94 feet. Wreck is 250 feet long and intact.

Max depth 28m / 92ft dive time dependent on air = 51 mins. covered with and surrounded by beautiful coral formations. Lots of fish. Great swim throughs.

Second dive was Barcadera Reef/Kantil Reef drift dive. Max depth 18m / 60ft dive time = 60 mins.

Started with shelves of coral outcrops then as you came shallower sandy botton with coral outcrops. Brain coral, staghorn coral, sea fans to name a few, moray eels, groupers and barracuda.

The dives were great, he is very attentive to details and safety, gives good briefings and ensured the experience is both enjoyable, pointing out things of interest.

Once he was comfortable that we were experienced he let myself and my buddy stay down and use our air on the last dive.

The only downside was because Clive works alone and his boat is small (six divers max) there were no changing facilities post dive and he took us straight back to the port with no time to change or complete logs.

Would I dive with him again? Yes.

I took a video camera along on all dives with all three dive shops and was left to enjoy the scenery and sealife at my own (and buddies) pace without any herding or rushing.:D

• 2 weeks later...
Aruba = Dive Aruba.

Clive was waiting at the port entrance. There were four of us on this occasion boat diving. Clive is a 'one man outfit' but he does a good job.

Again my own gear, cylinders he said were 12L.

First dive was on the wreck of the Jane Sea, a cargo ship standing upright in sand. Bow is in 65 feet of water and stern is in 94 feet. Wreck is 250 feet long and intact.

Max depth 28m / 92ft dive time dependent on air = 51 mins. covered with and surrounded by beautiful coral formations. Lots of fish. Great swim throughs.

Second dive was Barcadera Reef/Kantil Reef drift dive. Max depth 18m / 60ft dive time = 60 mins.

Started with shelves of coral outcrops then as you came shallower sandy botton with coral outcrops. Brain coral, staghorn coral, sea fans to name a few, moray eels, groupers and barracuda.

The dives were great, he is very attentive to details and safety, gives good briefings and ensured the experience is both enjoyable, pointing out things of interest.

Once he was comfortable that we were experienced he let myself and my buddy stay down and use our air on the last dive.

The only downside was because Clive works alone and his boat is small (six divers max) there were no changing facilities post dive and he took us straight back to the port with no time to change or complete logs.

Would I dive with him again? Yes.

Having done the drift dive at Barcadera Reef/Kantil Reef myself, I'm curious as to how you do a drift dive with a 'one man outfit'? Does Clive go and fetch the boat?

• 3 weeks later...

Icsys- coming in a little late here, but my ops are The Dive Bus and Dive Aruba. Glad to hear you had a great time!

Jtonra - Yes, Clive hangs out with you for 20 minutes or so on a drift dive, then goes to fetch the boat, and follows you from above.

Wendy

• 1 month later...

I don't know what experiences others have had with Red Sail Sports in Aruba but I spent a week last year and a week the year before with my dive club diving in Aruba with Red Sail Sports and they were fantastic! They had the boat ready to go everyday, were very helpful, the divemasters were awesome and we had a really great time. We dove the Antilla several times during each week, along with Pedernalis and practically every other dive site along Palm Beach. The South coast actually has the best diving in Aruba and Red Sail Sports had a dedicated boat for south coast diving every day. We can't say enough about them and it's all GOOD!

Haven't dove in Curacao but also spent a week with the dive club in Bonaire, we stayed at Den Lamann condos, next door to Buddy Dive. Good operation, mostly shore diving but I did a couple dives off their boat to Klein Bonaire.

I'd go back to Aruba or Bonaire for diving in a nano second. Awesome diving!